Big Changes at the Wine Advocate - The Antonio Galloni Thread

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
Ken V
SubscriberSubscriber
Fine Wine Geek

Big Changes at the Wine Advocate - The Antonio Galloni Thread

Post #1  Postby Ken V » February 5th 2011, 12:27pm

According to an email from erp, Antonio Galloni will now cover Burgundy (specifically "the red and white Burgundies of the Côte d'Or as well as the crisp white wines of Chablis") and the wines of California, in addition to continuing with Italy and Champagne.
Ken V @ s t o l @
The Fine Wine Geek
Click on the W W W button under my name to see my website.
"Don't be meek, embrace the geek." -Terry Theise
Twitter: @FineWineGeek

Advertisement

M.Kaplan
SubscriberSubscriber

This could get very interesting. Antonio Galloni to cover California for TWA

Post #2  Postby M.Kaplan » February 5th 2011, 12:28pm

Dear eRobertParker.com Subscriber:

I am thrilled to announce that Antonio Galloni will have expanded responsibilities for The Wine Advocate and http://www.eRobertParker.com as of February 1, 2011. I would like to take credit for my powers of persuasion over recent years in trying to convince Antonio of the virtues of covering additional wine regions, but if truth be known, the writing was always on the wall that his enviable talents and passion for this field would ultimately prevail, and the beneficiaries are the world's wine consumers.

Antonio will continue to focus on the wines of Italy as well as Champagne, but two new areas of responsibility for Antonio will include the red and white Burgundies of the Côte d'Or as well as the crisp white wines of Chablis, and the wines of California. These vast regions will benefit from the increased depth of coverage, as will all the major wine regions of the world.

Additionally, sectors that merit dramatically more attention but have not had sufficient coverage, including Beaujolais and the Mâconnais (now economically as important as the Cote d'Or and Chablis) will be put under a microscope by David Schildknecht, who will continue with his other areas of responsibility but will be freed from covering the Cote d'Or and Chablis.

I will turn to something I have long played around with in The Wine Advocate but have rarely had enough time to do. Older readers may remember the vintage retrospectives called "What About Now?" With Antonio turning his attention to California, I am going to begin a series of horizontal and vertical tastings of perfectly stored California wines that will give readers insight into how they are developing. It has been a long-term ambition of mine to include more reports on older vintages, and this change will allow me to do this not only in California, but also to increase the older vintage reports for Bordeaux and the Rhône Valley.

In all other respects, the staff assignments at The Wine Advocate remain identical. I hope all of you share our great enthusiasm for the fact that Antonio Galloni has finally taken the plunge and will be devoting most of his time to his wine writing career, a job for which he seems particularly well-suited and sure to excel.

All the best in wine and life,
Robert M. Parker, Jr.
P.S. The Wine Advocate writer assignments are:
Robert Parker - Bordeaux, the Rhône Valley, older vintages of Bordeaux, Rhône and California wines
Antonio Galloni - Italy, Champagne, Chablis, Côte d'Or, California
David Schildknecht - Germany, Loire, Beaujolais and Mâconnais, Eastern U.S., Austria,
Eastern Europe, Languedoc-Roussillon, Jura
Jay Miller - Oregon, Washington, South America, Spain
Lisa Perrotti - Brown - Australia, New Zealand
Neal Martin - Critic-at-Large overlapping all areas, plus specific reviewer of South Africa
Mark Squires - Bulletin Board supervision and occasional articles on Israel, Portugal, and Greece

----------
---Mark
Eric LeVine
(Online)
SubscriberSubscriber

Re: Big Changes at the Wine Advocate

Post #3  Postby Eric LeVine » February 5th 2011, 12:30pm

Well congrats to Antonio!
-Eric LeVine (ITB)
It rhymes with wine...
Chris Bero

Re: This could get very interesting. Antonio Galloni to cover California for TWA

Post #4  Postby Chris Bero » February 5th 2011, 12:31pm

Very interesting.

Isn't he widely considered the most reputable and liked critic at TWA? I'm just going off of the fact that I have seen way more positive comments about him than negative.
Eric LeVine
(Online)
SubscriberSubscriber

Re: This could get very interesting. Antonio Galloni to cover California for TWA

Post #5  Postby Eric LeVine » February 5th 2011, 12:31pm

Couldn't happen to a nicer guy.
-Eric LeVine (ITB)
It rhymes with wine...
C. Grimm

Post #6  Postby C. Grimm » February 5th 2011, 12:32pm

Fits completely with the comment RMP made about Antonio being the heir apparent, if there was one.
Chris
Ken V
SubscriberSubscriber
Fine Wine Geek

Post #7  Postby Ken V » February 5th 2011, 12:32pm

Ken V @ s t o l @
The Fine Wine Geek
Click on the W W W button under my name to see my website.
"Don't be meek, embrace the geek." -Terry Theise
Twitter: @FineWineGeek
Nick Ryan
SubscriberSubscriber

Post #8  Postby Nick Ryan » February 5th 2011, 12:34pm

Well well well... are new cults going to be able to make their reputations on an AG 100 instead of an RMP 100? Nobody lives forever so this had to come eventually, but I'm surprised Parker is giving up on CA so soon.
H Wallace Jr
(Online)
SubscriberSubscriber

Post #9  Postby H Wallace Jr » February 5th 2011, 12:42pm

Hardy Wallace itb
Dirty and Rowdy Family Winery: Mourvèdre and Semillon Together at Last
C Fu
ModeratorModerator
Domaine De La Husky

Post #10  Postby C Fu » February 5th 2011, 12:42pm

It looks like Parker is still doing CA. Does this mean more emphasis on pinot by AG in CA?
Ch@rlie Fu
Roy Piper

Post #11  Postby Roy Piper » February 5th 2011, 12:45pm

The only news that would be bigger than this from a critical perspective is if/when he gives up Bordeaux. This is pretty big news, really. I have almost no knowledge of what Galloni likes stylistically, but you can bet his first Cali review will be one of the most intensely watched and studied ever.
ITB
Steve Nordhoff
SubscriberSubscriber

Post #12  Postby Steve Nordhoff » February 5th 2011, 12:47pm

Say goodbye to regular CA 100 pointers.
ITB -Riverain Vineyards
John Liotta

Post #13  Postby John Liotta » February 5th 2011, 12:51pm

Steve Nordhoff wrote:Say goodbye to regular CA 100 pointers.

At least Quilceda still has Jay Miller!
Past- ITB Wine
Present- ITB Beer
Michael Bowden
SubscriberSubscriber

Post #14  Postby Michael Bowden » February 5th 2011, 1:02pm

C. Grimm wrote:Fits completely with the comment RMP made about Antonio being the heir apparent, if there was one.

No brainier here.....this is just a step in AG taking over TWA.
I'm taller than Zach Lang.

It's Michael.....not Mike, Mark, Mick, Mikey...get it? got it? good.

Good fries are better than great tater tots.
Lewis Dawson

Post #15  Postby Lewis Dawson » February 5th 2011, 1:07pm

C. Grimm wrote:Fits completely with the comment RMP made about Antonio being the heir apparent, if there was one.

What comment? I guess I missed that. Do you have a link? TIA
-- Lew --
Italian Bikes
& F
Eric LeVine
(Online)
SubscriberSubscriber

Post #16  Postby Eric LeVine » February 5th 2011, 1:09pm

Lewis Dawson wrote:

What comment? I guess I missed that. Do you have a link? TIA

viewtopic.php?p=480644#p480644
Very end of Randy's post.
-Eric LeVine (ITB)
It rhymes with wine...
Lewis Dawson

Post #17  Postby Lewis Dawson » February 5th 2011, 1:12pm

I'll add my voice to the others, congrats to Antonio, seems well respected, but I admit I have not checked out much he has written. This seems like very big news to me. Fits with Parker taking a bit more time to enjoy himself, reap the fruits of his labors, so to speak.

I wonder if Galloni will clash with Laube more than Parker has regarding producer styles in California???
-- Lew --
Italian Bikes
& F
Rick Nathanson

Post #18  Postby Rick Nathanson » February 5th 2011, 1:23pm

I think its more exciting that he is covering the Cote d'or.
David M. Bueker
SubscriberSubscriber
Rieslingfan

Post #19  Postby David M. Bueker » February 5th 2011, 1:30pm

Anotnio is a great guy and a great critic/writer, but man is he going to be stretched.
Current avatar - Torres del Paine National Park, Chile - November 2013
Z. Hu
SubscriberSubscriber

Post #20  Postby Z. Hu » February 5th 2011, 1:33pm

When did Miller stop reviewing Australia? Excited that Galloni will cover CA now but hopefully he's able to review the wines early and not after the wines have already been released.
Z H I
Anthony Lombardi
SubscriberSubscriber

Post #21  Postby Anthony Lombardi » February 5th 2011, 1:36pm

Really good to read this. As soon as they have different people covering Washington, Oregon, and Portugal, and a different bulletin board moderator that I can take seriously then I might even subscribe again.
Roger Nellans
SubscriberSubscriber

Post #22  Postby Roger Nellans » February 5th 2011, 1:39pm

Rick Nathanson wrote:I think its more exciting that he is covering the Cote d'or.

It will be interesting. I am attending the seminar hosted by Antonio "A Blind Tasting of
Grand Cru Burgundy & Piedmont Greats" next Friday at La Paulee in NYC. I hope to get some feedback from him on this news.
Roger Nellans
Eric LeVine
(Online)
SubscriberSubscriber

Post #23  Postby Eric LeVine » February 5th 2011, 1:43pm

One thing I am presuming is that with this change that Antonio is reviewing wines full time now and likely is no longer at DB. If not then he is indeed SuperMan!
-Eric LeVine (ITB)
It rhymes with wine...
Z. Hu
SubscriberSubscriber

Post #24  Postby Z. Hu » February 5th 2011, 1:50pm

Eric LeVine wrote:One thing I am presuming is that with this change that Antonio is reviewing wines full time now and likely is no longer at DB. If not then he is indeed SuperMan!

DB? Dave&Busters? Antonio should not be playing arcade games at Dave&Busters while drinking so much wine.
Z H I
Eric LeVine
(Online)
SubscriberSubscriber

Post #25  Postby Eric LeVine » February 5th 2011, 1:57pm

I believe that Antonio has been working at Deutsche Bank since he graduated from business school, and the wine writing is a side gig. I am sure the New Yorkers know for sure.
-Eric LeVine (ITB)
It rhymes with wine...
Alan C h a n

Post #26  Postby Alan C h a n » February 5th 2011, 2:15pm

Exciting news. Could be the start of a shift back towards valuing beauty and nuance more than it has been in mainstream wine criticism in a while. The beginning of the end of "Parkerized" wines?

If Antonio can last! He's basically doing the workload of a Galloni, a Meadows and half a Parker now, if I'm reading this correctly!
Last edited by Alan C h a n on February 5th 2011, 3:35pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Amateur Wino wine blog
John J. Vachon

David Schildknecht canned from Burgundy!

Post #27  Postby John J. Vachon » February 5th 2011, 2:19pm

I was one of the most vocal on Burgundy reports in Parkers

publication but it was based on timing and that was Parkers

call. But to replace D.S. is crazy he was very good when

the info was reported.
Berry Crawford

Re: David Schildknecht canned from Burgundy!

Post #28  Postby Berry Crawford » February 5th 2011, 2:27pm

huh?
Peter Tryba

Post #29  Postby Peter Tryba » February 5th 2011, 2:35pm

ITB
kidney fund: youcaring.com
Kris Patten
SubscriberSubscriber

Post #30  Postby Kris Patten » February 5th 2011, 2:39pm

Kind of a shitty title when it seems you like David.
ITB
John Morris
(Online)
SubscriberSubscriber

Post #31  Postby John Morris » February 5th 2011, 2:59pm

Wow!

This doesn't seem good for anyone. David is always insightful, so it's a shame to lose him. And how can Antonio cover Italy thoroughly while coming up to speed on Burgundy?
"We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true." -- variously attributed and constantly corroborated
WvanGorp

Post #32  Postby WvanGorp » February 5th 2011, 3:01pm

Way more than this. Antonio has also taken over coverage of California wine as well. Antonio = TWA now.
Wilfred van Gorp
WvanGorp

Galloni's TWA: Antonio Galloni takes over coverage of California & Burgundy now

Post #33  Postby WvanGorp » February 5th 2011, 3:02pm

Done deal. Parker giving up coverage of California to Galloni, who also takes over coverage of Burgundy.
Wilfred van Gorp
billnanson

Re: Big Changes at the Wine Advocate

Post #34  Postby billnanson » February 5th 2011, 3:11pm

DS 'got it' as BH would say. I don't know about AG, lets's see.

But any subscription magazine needs to have some consistency if you're going to use it as a reference point - doesn't seem to have been WA's strongpoint - but hey, I don't think it is particularly important for them (Neal Martin aside) their officialy Burgundy correspondent only delivered 06 notes up until now didn't he...(?) I'm just kinda surprised that Neal didn't get the gig - maybe he turned it down, clearly a dodgy audience those burgundy drinkers... ;0)
about.me/nanson
Brady Daniels
SubscriberSubscriber

Re: Galloni's TWA: Antonio Galloni takes over coverage of California & Burgundy now

Post #35  Postby Brady Daniels » February 5th 2011, 3:15pm

deleted and re-posted below.
Last edited by Brady Daniels on February 5th 2011, 3:44pm, edited 2 times in total.

Return to Wine Talk