The Garagiste Thread (The Great Enabler) Back to Life

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
Yoni O v a d i a
SubscriberSubscriber

Garagiste Blog

Post #1  Postby Yoni O v a d i a » January 27th 2009, 2:38pm

Someone else started on the last Berserker forum, so I figured I'd get it going over here....

Anyone biting on the 2004 Le Ragnaie Brunello di Montalcino that was just emailed out. Being another vintage of the century, I am tempted to, but will pass on this.
I'm Yoni Ovadia, and I approve this message.

The characters are better 'Over Here', the wine deals from Max are banned 'Over There' and The Palate & Crew are sinking on a FAIL boat that a Somalian pirate wouldn't even try to climb aboard. - Lance Smith

Advertisement

Todd F r e n c h
Site AdminSite Admin
Head Babysitter

Re: Garagiste Blog

Post #2  Postby Todd F r e n c h » January 27th 2009, 2:58pm

Yoni Ovadia wrote:Someone else started on the last Berserker forum, so I figured I'd get it going over here....

Anyone biting on the 2004 Le Ragnaie Brunello di Montalcino that was just emailed out. Being another vintage of the century, I am tempted to, but will pass on this.

It truly is most convenient that each year is the vintage of the century, I might add...
Apparently I'm lazy, have a narrow agenda, and offer little in the way of content and substance (RMP)
Kevin Klym

Post #3  Postby Kevin Klym » January 27th 2009, 3:57pm

Todd F r e n c h wrote:
Yoni Ovadia wrote:Someone else started on the last Berserker forum, so I figured I'd get it going over here....

It truly is most convenient that each year is the vintage of the century, I might add...

Early reports are 04 Brunello is spotty after being hailed as the vintage of the century . . . yet again. Galloni hinted at that in his forum on an 04 Brunello post. Plus, I just don't know enough about this producer, nor have I had enough Garagiste experience to know if John's flowing descriptions come true or not.

I attended an 04 Tuscany/05 Piedmont trade tasting last week and while the Poggio Antico was fantastic and the Lisini and Fuligni were good, but not mind blowing, I felt others were lacking. I believe this is in part due to the fact that the wines were only open an hour prior (doesn't John mention something to this fact in the e-mail about the SF event?) and thus were gripping, and not giving anything, as expected, at least for my palate.

I think there will be plenty of 2004 Brunello at screaming prices in mid to late Spring as this vintage doesn't live up to they hype and the anticipated economic conditions continue.
Cris Whetstone
SubscriberSubscriber

Post #4  Postby Cris Whetstone » January 27th 2009, 5:47pm

Doesn't 2004 fall under the time when Brunello wineries were caught using fruit from other areas? Did they nail down whether that was a "few bad apples" or a common practice across the region? I'd have to defer to others for info on the vintage but I've roundly heard 2004 was good in Italy. Don't remember vintage of the century talk though.
WetRock

"Man prefers to believe what he prefers to be true." - Francis Bacon

"I had taken two finger-bowls of champagne and the scene had changed before my eyes into something significant, elemental, and profound." - F. Scott Fitzgerald, The Great Gatsby
Kevin Klym

Post #5  Postby Kevin Klym » January 27th 2009, 6:06pm

Cris Whetstone wrote:Doesn't 2004 fall under the time when Brunello wineries were caught using fruit from other areas? Did they nail down whether that was a "few bad apples" or a common practice across the region? I'd have to defer to others for info on the vintage but I've roundly heard 2004 was good in Italy. Don't remember vintage of the century talk though.

Chris,

My vintage of the century monkier was probably overblown. From what I have tasted and read, 2004 Piedmont is living up to the hype. As for Brunello, most of the "scandal" was centered around the 2003 vintage, although there seem to still be some who wonder if all of the improprieties were revealed and thus wonder if the 2004s are, in fact, "pure" Sangiovese.

A great resource from an insiders view (albeit he is ITB, winemaker at Il Poggione) is from the Montalcino Report, of which I won't link, as I do not know the rules of such behavior on this site. Anyway, he has a post on there from mid December speaking to additional monitoring procedures to avoid another "scandal". It ties in with the whole grey market issue and his belief against it, etc., etc.

I am less concerned about another vintage marred by blending issues than by a) inconsistent quality and b) ever increasing prices based on superior vintage speculation.

I too, would defer to others for more info, however, as I am no expert.
Cris Whetstone
SubscriberSubscriber

Post #6  Postby Cris Whetstone » January 27th 2009, 6:11pm

Thanks for the thoughts Kevin. I can't see any reason your link would be disallowed though. The more good info the better.
WetRock

"I had taken two finger-bowls of champagne and the scene had changed before my eyes into something significant, elemental, and profound." - F. Scott Fitzgerald, The Great Gatsby
zachary l a n g
SubscriberSubscriber
Gimli

Post #7  Postby zachary l a n g » January 27th 2009, 6:12pm

I just joined the garagiste emails...they wouldn't ship to Mass, but I just found out they can ship to NH. Just what I need, another source!
I am Gimli and I have a tall voice!

Berserker Love!
[berserker.gif] flirtysmile
Todd F r e n c h
Site AdminSite Admin
Head Babysitter

Post #8  Postby Todd F r e n c h » January 27th 2009, 6:34pm

Kevin Klym wrote:
Cris Whetstone wrote:Doesn't 2004 fall under the time when Brunello wineries were caught using fruit from other areas? Did they nail down whether that was a "few bad apples" or a common practice across the region? I'd have to defer to others for info on the vintage but I've roundly heard 2004 was good in Italy. Don't remember vintage of the century talk though.

Chris,

My vintage of the century monkier was probably overblown. From what I have tasted and read, 2004 Piedmont is living up to the hype. As for Brunello, most of the "scandal" was centered around the 2003 vintage, although there seem to still be some who wonder if all of the improprieties were revealed and thus wonder if the 2004s are, in fact, "pure" Sangiovese.

A great resource from an insiders view (albeit he is ITB, winemaker at Il Poggione) is from the Montalcino Report, of which I won't link, as I do not know the rules of such behavior on this site. Anyway, he has a post on there from mid December speaking to additional monitoring procedures to avoid another "scandal". It ties in with the whole grey market issue and his belief against it, etc., etc.

I am less concerned about another vintage marred by blending issues than by a) inconsistent quality and b) ever increasing prices based on superior vintage speculation.

I too, would defer to others for more info, however, as I am no expert.

Kevin, no problem with links - if it is information that benefits the forum as a whole, we welcome it!
Apparently I'm lazy, have a narrow agenda, and offer little in the way of content and substance (RMP)
Kevin Klym

Post #9  Postby Kevin Klym » January 27th 2009, 7:23pm

Sweet, so here it is:

http://www.montalcinoreport.com/

Pretty good reading, IMO

I assumed this board was a bit more flexible than, um, "other boards", but thought I would err on the safe side. I'm all about information/knowledge exchange as well!
Last edited by Kevin Klym on January 27th 2009, 7:56pm, edited 1 time in total.
Yoni O v a d i a
SubscriberSubscriber

Post #10  Postby Yoni O v a d i a » January 27th 2009, 7:28pm

Kevin Klym wrote:Sweet, so here it is:

Pretty good reading, IMO

I assumed this board was a bit more flexible than, um, "other boards", but thought I would err on the safe side. I'm all about information/knowledge exchange as well!

Thanks for this, it looks like an interesting read.

FYI - for those of you who want to click on the link but don't want to be taken away from the site...hold down control and then click on the link. It should open up a new page with the info.

The characters are better 'Over Here', the wine deals from Max are banned 'Over There' and The Palate & Crew are sinking on a FAIL boat that a Somalian pirate wouldn't even try to climb aboard. - Lance Smith
Todd F r e n c h
Site AdminSite Admin
Head Babysitter

Post #11  Postby Todd F r e n c h » January 27th 2009, 7:53pm

Pretty good reading, IMO

I'm banning you.
Kevin Klym

Post #12  Postby Kevin Klym » January 27th 2009, 7:56pm

Todd F r e n c h wrote:

Pretty good reading, IMO

I'm banning you.

Sweet, Day 1, that's gotta be a record.

I went back and fixed the link as well. Didn't even think to add the url at first, just typed it in. Should work now.
Todd F r e n c h
Site AdminSite Admin
Head Babysitter

Post #13  Postby Todd F r e n c h » January 27th 2009, 7:59pm

Kevin Klym wrote:
Todd F r e n c h wrote:

Pretty good reading, IMO

I'm banning you.

I went back and fixed the link as well. Didn't even think to add the url at first, just typed it in. Should work now.

Wait, I thought you were banned!?
Rick Smith
SubscriberSubscriber

Post #14  Postby Rick Smith » January 27th 2009, 8:00pm

Kevin Klym wrote:
Todd F r e n c h wrote:

Pretty good reading, IMO

I'm banning you.

Pfft, I was banned as soon as I registered.
Jorge Henriquez
(Online)
ModeratorModerator

Post #15  Postby Jorge Henriquez » January 28th 2009, 7:09am

Rick Smith wrote:Pfft, I was banned as soon as I registered.

Pffft to you.....T-Bone was BORNED banned. [beee.gif]
"I'm a bowl of excitement, bitch!" TMF 08/13/10

ITB -
Phillip F r a n k s
SubscriberSubscriber

Post #16  Postby Phillip F r a n k s » January 28th 2009, 7:41pm

I had to jump on the 2004 Cantina del Pino Barbaresco Ovello today. I just don't buy enough Italian.
"DUSTOFF"
It's always better in Magnum
Kevin Klym

Post #17  Postby Kevin Klym » January 29th 2009, 7:35am

Phillip Franks wrote:I had to jump on the 2004 Cantina del Pino Barbaresco Ovello today. I just don't buy enough Italian.

I did too, and I buy TONS of Italian. This wine will be great (had the 01 and a few early notes on ebob sound positive) and is a pretty good bargain for 04 Piemonte.
Todd F r e n c h
Site AdminSite Admin
Head Babysitter

Post #18  Postby Todd F r e n c h » January 29th 2009, 4:08pm

Well, thanks to you freaks, I ended up buying 2 bottles of the Cantina del Pino also...

Anyway, today I received my first Garagiste shipment - cheap Southern Rhone stuff.

2006 Puydeval and 2005 Chateau Mas Neuf Compostelle

I'll crack one of them this weekend, perhaps.
Paul L i n

Post #19  Postby Paul L i n » January 29th 2009, 9:32pm

Kevin Klym wrote:My vintage of the century monkier was probably overblown. From what I have tasted and read, 2004 Piedmont is living up to the hype. As for Brunello, most of the "scandal" was centered around the 2003 vintage, although there seem to still be some who wonder if all of the improprieties were revealed and thus wonder if the 2004s are, in fact, "pure" Sangiovese.

piedmonte was much stronger than tuscany in 2004. in 2005, they were both uniformly good. and tuscany will be the shining star in 2006. i don't really have the budget for a lot of italian wine, as pricey as they are, so i have implemented the plan of buying only 2004 barolo/barbaresco and 2006 brunello going forward. with any luck, however, garagiste will offer some older italians at good prices for current consumption.
Cris Whetstone
SubscriberSubscriber

Post #20  Postby Cris Whetstone » February 2nd 2009, 9:55pm

I posted a note on the 2003 Vignalta Monte Rey Syrah
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=408
WetRock

Yoni O v a d i a
SubscriberSubscriber

Post #21  Postby Yoni O v a d i a » February 3rd 2009, 5:38pm

Anybody bite on this?

1969 Pousse d'Or “Clos des Soixante Ouvrées" Volnay - $684.70

I only bought 3 cases worth since money's tight nowadays... [gen_fro.gif]

Todd F r e n c h
Site AdminSite Admin
Head Babysitter

Post #22  Postby Todd F r e n c h » February 3rd 2009, 5:52pm

Yoni Ovadia wrote:Anybody bite on this?

1969 Pousse d'Or “Clos des Soixante Ouvrées" Volnay - $684.70

I only bought 3 cases worth since money's tight nowadays... [gen_fro.gif]

They gave me a 6 case maximum.

All in.
Cris Whetstone
SubscriberSubscriber

Post #23  Postby Cris Whetstone » February 3rd 2009, 9:57pm

Posted another note in WT.
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=480
[cheers.gif]
WetRock

Yoni O v a d i a
SubscriberSubscriber

Post #24  Postby Yoni O v a d i a » March 5th 2009, 4:52pm

Anyone biting on the 2006 Pegau for $49.99? I would love to, but can't at the moment.

Todd F r e n c h
Site AdminSite Admin
Head Babysitter

Post #25  Postby Todd F r e n c h » March 5th 2009, 5:02pm

No Pegau for me, but it is tempting. I think it might end up available for less than that later, honestly, since the '07's are coming out, and almost no '06's seem to have sold.

I'm cracking 2005 Château Mas Neuf Costières-de-Nîmes Compostelle - a Garagiste (cheap) purchase. $18 is more my speed nowadays.
Otto Dobre
SubscriberSubscriber

Winehunter alert: 06 Galardi Terra di Lavoro at Garagiste

Post #26  Postby Otto Dobre » June 3rd 2009, 9:35am

Price is $59.99. Our own Don Cornutt posted some super notes on this wine. I've had some past vintages and I love it.

Otto
Todd F r e n c h
Site AdminSite Admin
Head Babysitter

Re: Winehunter alert: 06 Galardi Terra di Lavoro at Garagiste

Post #27  Postby Todd F r e n c h » June 3rd 2009, 9:39am

Yeah, saw that one, and was quite tempted. I've been sticking to their under $20 buys more lately, however...
Andrew Hall
SubscriberSubscriber

Post #28  Postby Andrew Hall » June 3rd 2009, 9:42am

I resisted the Bouchard champers y'day, but did grab two Galardi today. I am only strong on alternate days.

A.
Andrew Hall (itb)

andrew @ cellartracker dot com
Josh Beck

Post #29  Postby Josh Beck » June 3rd 2009, 9:44am

This was a no brainer for me. I actually emailed them a couple of weeks ago to ask if they'd be offering the 06 Terra di Lavoro, as it sounds like a strong vintage, I love the wine, and I figured they'd have a great price, if not the best price we're likely to see, on the wine.
BLittle
ContributorContributor

Post #30  Postby BLittle » June 3rd 2009, 10:40am

i was wondering if there was going to be a Garagiste thread on this site... it was one of my favorites before it was locked... Should this be in another forum since it is retail?

as for this offering, tempting, but I've cut way back from the Great Enabler
Brett Cyril Little (AKA BC)
Ken V
SubscriberSubscriber
Fine Wine Geek

Post #31  Postby Ken V » June 3rd 2009, 11:35am

Josh Beck wrote:This was a no brainer for me. I actually emailed them a couple of weeks ago to ask if they'd be offering the 06 Terra di Lavoro, as it sounds like a strong vintage, I love the wine, and I figured they'd have a great price, if not the best price we're likely to see, on the wine.

I have seen this offered repeatedly for $75-85, but I have resisted.

This price is irresistible!
Ken V @ s t o l @
The Fine Wine Geek
Click on the W W W button under my name to see my website.
"Don't be meek, embrace the geek." -Terry Theise
Twitter: @FineWineGeek
Josh Beck

Post #32  Postby Josh Beck » June 3rd 2009, 11:44am

They had the best prices I found on the 04 as well. Experience the past few years has shown that this wine invariably gets discounted / direct imported for far less than the MSRP (which is ~90-100, no?). I paid $60 for the 04, $66 for the 05, and now $60 for the 06. Seems to me it's a $60-$70 wine.
Andrew Hall
SubscriberSubscriber

Post #33  Postby Andrew Hall » June 3rd 2009, 5:40pm

K V a s t o l a wrote:
Josh Beck wrote:This was a no brainer for me. I actually emailed them a couple of weeks ago to ask if they'd be offering the 06 Terra di Lavoro, as it sounds like a strong vintage, I love the wine, and I figured they'd have a great price, if not the best price we're likely to see, on the wine.

I have seen this offered repeatedly for $75-85, but I have resisted.

This price is irresistible!

Evidently even Antonio couldn't resist either! TFF.

A.
Andrew Hall (itb)

andrew @ cellartracker dot com
mike.m

Post #34  Postby mike.m » June 3rd 2009, 6:27pm

I picked up a few bottles of the 03 at $20 per from a distributor closeout. I tried to get more and some of the 02 but thet had ghost inventory showing.

How long should I wait on the 03? I only have 2 bottles and I would like to drink them close to their prime, even if that means waiting.

The one time I had it it was pretty damn tannic (but tasty!)
M i k o w i c z
ITB
Ed Murray
SubscriberSubscriber

Post #35  Postby Ed Murray » June 3rd 2009, 9:17pm

mike.m wrote:I picked up a few bottles of the 03 at $20 per from a distributor closeout. I tried to get more and some of the 02 but thet had ghost inventory showing.

How long should I wait on the 03? I only have 2 bottles and I would like to drink them close to their prime, even if that means waiting.

The one time I had it it was pretty damn tannic (but tasty!)

Love this wine, haven't tried the '06.

I plan to wait 10 years for my '03's, assuming I can hold out. CellarTracker! shows a start date of 2017. How long can you wait?

OMG! I just said CellarTracker!!!!
It's not the event, it's the reaction to the event!

Return to Wine Talk