The Garagiste Thread (The Great Enabler) Back to Life

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
Beau Carufel
(Online)

Re: The Garagiste Thread (The Great Enabler) Back to Life

Post #1996  Postby Beau Carufel » July 11th 2012, 3:11pm

I figure he throws those names out there for a reason..But it sure is tempting. Still, the text was a bit hyperbolic for my taste.
ITB: Winemaker @ Random Wine Com

Advertisement

JeffWisman

Post #1997  Postby JeffWisman » July 11th 2012, 3:18pm

I'm also a gambler by nature and always looking out for a great deal. Plus I was just in the warehouse last week picking up a case, and they a bunch of great stuff on the shelves. So I went for 1 ticket for a $250 case. So we'll see. It will probably be a bunch of stuff I don't care for that adds up to $260 in value. haha

Jeff
Jim Sawitzke
SubscriberSubscriber

Post #1998  Postby Jim Sawitzke » July 11th 2012, 3:37pm

I took a flyer on a $600 case. I can taste all of that '89 Haut Brion now...

Sent from my DROID Pro using Tapatalk 2
J.Durham
SubscriberSubscriber

Post #1999  Postby J.Durham » July 11th 2012, 3:56pm

I was pleased with my $250 case a couple years ago. Got some interesting whites I would never try on my own--exactly what I wanted. The big score was an '03 ducru. Put in for a $600 this year...I think I could have a gambling problem if I lived in Vegas..
-Josh
Cellartracker: Nutty08
JeffWisman

Post #2000  Postby JeffWisman » July 11th 2012, 4:06pm

J.Durham wrote:I was pleased with my $250 case a couple years ago. Got some interesting whites I would never try on my own--exactly what I wanted. The big score was an '03 ducru. Put in for a $600 this year...I think I could have a gambling problem if I lived in Vegas..

Yeah, that's exactly what I'm looking for too. I'm too new to wine and still lacking experience with a large variety of styles. Something like this is a good way to get interesting things that I wouldn't have tried on my own.

Jeff
Corey N.

Post #2001  Postby Corey N. » July 17th 2012, 1:52pm

I'm at the point where I hate Zimmerman. $40 mystery burgundy.
Mystery Wine #42

Dear Friends,

I don’t indulge in every offer for my own consumption but this one is simply too good to pass up.

When Mystery Wine has crept to this level, you know the concept has made an impact around the world.

The very fact that a Burgundy producer of this ilk is more than willing to have some fun and offer their treats via Mystery Wine is very telling...

Telling that everyone in the wine trade needs to keep the doors open (with a quick influx of Euros), but also telling that even the most stodgy and old-school nobility in Burgundy can take their ascot off on occasion just to see what a different horizon looks like.

That is a vey good thing for you.

Now the fun part...

Considering the winery would like to save face with those charging $70-80+ for the same bottles, this Mystery offer is for a mix of two different wines from different vineyards – same vintage, same exact score. In essence that prevents anyone from tracing the tariff of each. I was given the option of offered one at a time, but that would have forced the use of a Kinko's label – if I agreed to mix them up at random, I was allowed to show you the exact label/bottle, etc.

I agreed to the later and I'm sure you would have as well (the price was the same so why not just mix them up?)

So, here’s what we have – one “Mystery Wine” that is actually two wines, mixed up at random. They are coming in equal amounts so the odds are that you will receive both (if you order more than one bottle, that is).

Here’s what I can tell you...

• You will get to see the actual label/bottle/cork that is on the market as I type this (this is not a Kinko's label).

• Both have never been discounted from the source – it’s not allowed (that comes straight from the mouth of the domaine proprietor). I can tell you, it took over a year for the winery agree to this offer - I guesspersistence has its rewards.

• This is an upper-tier producer with a terrific reputation, not a low-rung player

• Neither are not cast-off wines – both are from revered vineyards with terrific critical acclaim.

• Both wines received the exact same score and both have the heart symbol (“Outstanding!”) from Burghound with mouthwatering verbiage.

• Both are from one of my favorite terroir vintages, 2007

• The lowest discount price I can find is $65-75 for one and $68 for the other (one is around $46 wholesale in France...the Mystery Wine price is even lower than the wholesale price in France)

• Both should age beautifully

• This is not Dugat-Py or Faiveley

• They are not from the Cote de Beaune

• Both are directly from the winery cellar with the finest provenance available – not via the grey market.

• Neither are Malconsorts or Clos St. Jacques but there’s a reason I mentioned both.

• Not all will tell you George Clooney is a saint.

• “To each his own, but to me a feast” - Gregor Rond

• “I have come to know that I only know the air that I breathe” - Litius Scronge

On your mark, get set....GO!

FIRST COME FIRST SERVED up to 24/person until we run out:

Mystery Wine #42 (red Burgundy) - $39.99
Nøv¡¢k
Beau Carufel
(Online)

Post #2002  Postby Beau Carufel » July 17th 2012, 2:05pm

I deleted it, to me, $40 is too much to play games with.
ITB: Winemaker @ Random Wine Com
Daniel H

Post #2003  Postby Daniel H » July 17th 2012, 2:11pm

No mention of how the "revered vineyards" are classified - which probably means that these are village wines.
H.e n.n e.s s.y
Corey N.

Post #2004  Postby Corey N. » July 17th 2012, 2:13pm

Did you catch that it's two different mystery wines being sent at random? Odd.
Nøv¡¢k
G. Greenbaum

Post #2005  Postby G. Greenbaum » July 17th 2012, 2:25pm

I'm guessing Jadot GC or VR lieux dits and some 1er cru.
Regards,
Gregg

ITB
Nate Simon

Post #2006  Postby Nate Simon » July 17th 2012, 3:48pm

I'm guessing another massive fail from Garagiste.
JeffWisman

Post #2007  Postby JeffWisman » July 17th 2012, 3:59pm

Nate Simon wrote:I'm guessing another massive fail from Garagiste.

Maybe a fail from our perspective, but I'm willing to bet he makes bank on these offers. Certainly not a fail for his business.
Nate Simon

Post #2008  Postby Nate Simon » July 17th 2012, 4:04pm

He only makes bank if he either has a big margin (i.e. the wine is sharply discounted to him, likely for a reason), or he sells a ton of it. I generally think his business model blends the two strategies, with the added spin of hilariously prosaic sales pitches.
PeterH
(Online)
SubscriberSubscriber

Post #2009  Postby PeterH » July 17th 2012, 4:10pm

What's with this?

"I was given the option of offered one at a time, but that would have forced the use of a Kinko's label – if I agreed to mix them up at random, I was allowed to show you the exact label/bottle"

Could there possibly be yet unlabeled '07s? Would anyone at all buy an unlabeled/made up label Burgundy for more than $10?

P Hickner
On s'en bat les couilles
Tom Moore
SubscriberSubscriber

Post #2010  Postby Tom Moore » July 17th 2012, 4:51pm

I dont think the few of us wine geeks on WB even remotely put a dent in his business model. I believe I read that his email list is 120,000+ strong.
And they sell $30 - 40 million of wine a year. The bashing on this board is meaningless to him.
AKuehn
SubscriberSubscriber

Post #2011  Postby AKuehn » July 20th 2012, 10:41am

Apparently, I am in on a $250 garage sale case. I'll report back on it in about four months, when I actually find out what's in it.
-Adam
Corey N.

Post #2012  Postby Corey N. » July 20th 2012, 10:47am

AKuehn wrote:Apparently, I am in on a $250 garage sale case. I'll report back on it in about four years, when I actually find out what's in it.

FYP.

neener
Nøv¡¢k
K John Joseph
(Online)
SubscriberSubscriber

Post #2013  Postby K John Joseph » July 20th 2012, 12:38pm

Tom Moore wrote:I dont think the few of us wine geeks on WB even remotely put a dent in his business model. I believe I read that his email list is 120,000+ strong.
And they sell $30 - 40 million of wine a year. The bashing on this board is meaningless to him.

Perhaps he feels a little down as he reads our smack talk on his tabled in his Gulfstream on the way to a local airport in a little known wine region in france where he may or may not spill a little known varietal on his Brioni suit and Hermes tie.

Poor bastard. I'm sure his self esteem is crushed.

At least once a year this dude's Prum e-mail makes me forget all of the dogshit he offers during the other 364 days.
J0hn-J-K4ne
JeffWisman

Post #2014  Postby JeffWisman » July 20th 2012, 8:20pm

AKuehn wrote:Apparently, I am in on a $250 garage sale case. I'll report back on it in about four months, when I actually find out what's in it.

I still haven't gotten a reply. I wonder if I got shut out? We'll see...

Jeff
William P

Post #2015  Postby William P » July 23rd 2012, 1:32pm

My buddy and I each put in for 1 $250 and 1 $600 case. We both ended up with just the $600 case. I'll post my haul when it comes in.

Last time, I got a $250 and ended with about 3.5x value, so it was a no-brainer to try for it again. Some real exceptional juice, and a great adventure in the process; for me, it's the combination of the exploration and the value that makes it worth it.
RDHudak

Post #2016  Postby RDHudak » July 23rd 2012, 6:32pm

I got no reply regarding my Mystery Case. Guessing I am out. pileon
Pat Burton
SubscriberSubscriber

Post #2017  Postby Pat Burton » July 23rd 2012, 6:33pm

AKuehn wrote:Apparently, I am in on a $250 garage sale case. I'll report back on it in about four months, when I actually find out what's in it.

I'll be interested to hear what your case includes, though I'd really love to hear from a larger number of people who went in on these - maybe we could get past anecdotal and closer to statistical data.
CT - Prof B
Tom Lee

Post #2018  Postby Tom Lee » July 23rd 2012, 7:01pm

Tom Moore wrote:I dont think the few of us wine geeks on WB even remotely put a dent in his business model. I believe I read that his email list is 120,000+ strong.

Do you have a link to the article?

Tom
Twitter: @NWTomLee
www.zinfandelchronicles.com
Twitter: @NWTomLee
AKuehn
SubscriberSubscriber

Post #2020  Postby AKuehn » July 27th 2012, 9:43am

The latest from Garagiste:

------------------------
UPDATE: Garage Sale

Just a quick UPDATE that all the winning Garage Sale tickets have been mailed out (emailed). If you received one, great! If not, try again next time! To ease the angst of missing out, we have something coming up in a few weeks that could prove to be even more interesting – stay tuned.

In the end, we had nearly 100,000 submissions for only a few hundred available cases, so the odds were really tiny. To be fair, everyone had the same chance, it was all a matter of digging into a hat and pulling out tickets – old fashioned but fair.

Thanks again to all who participated – we’re already looking forward to the next time (2014?)!

- Garagiste
-------------------------

So I guess I was really lucky...or not. We'll see this fall. It will make for an interesting package, if nothing else.
-Adam
JeffWisman

Post #2021  Postby JeffWisman » July 27th 2012, 9:57am

None for me. That's fine as I think I'll try the suggestion to do the same at my local wine shop. Then I can compare what I get to what y'all get in your mystery cases.

Jeff
Mark Senn

Post #2022  Postby Mark Senn » July 27th 2012, 10:26am

put in for a $250 case and a $600 case...got a $600 case, will share contents when it arrives.
Peter Panzica

Post #2023  Postby Peter Panzica » July 28th 2012, 5:42am

Ditto-Got a $600 case as well, also tried for a $1500 case.....we shall see, Wine gambling.....combines two of my favorite hobbies.
Phil P.

Post #2024  Postby Phil P. » August 3rd 2012, 1:12pm

Long time lurker, first time poster. Regarding Garagiste, out of all the wine i received from them, i can say i only enjoyed two bottles and both were mystery wines. The Ramey larkmead cabernet was the best and the Nicholas Cole Camille was pretty good. But for the most part, i have been disappointed in the wines I received and the fact that my requests for bottles got declined as frequently as they did due to sell out even when i placed the order seconds after receiving the offer. I did enjoy the olive oils and vinegars they offered but that was not enough to keep me on the list. I received my last shipment this past spring and cut the cord and couldn't be happier. Zimmerman is a heck of a creative writer and i bit on many offers that i did not share his opinion with. The customer service was always very good and they did try to make me (the customer) happy when i asked to be removed from the list by offering up some of John's personal stash. Hopefully those that get the mystery cases get rewarded with some of those special bottles.
Phil Portiera
William P

Post #2025  Postby William P » August 4th 2012, 4:44pm

I find it interesting how many people diss Garagiste, while I on the other hand have been pretty pleased overall with my experience, and expect to have a relationship with them in the future as long as they stick to what they're doing.

I have been a customer for 5 years. In that time I have made 212 purchases for 859 bottles at just under $20,000; about 1 buy every 9 days for 4-ish bottles at an average price of $22.67. I usually do a quick 5-minute lookup of each offering I'm interested in, checking out WS/WA/IWC notes as well as Cellartracker community notes; I then try to locate a valid price on the market via Winesearcher et al. Sometimes the feedback turns me off, sometimes it excites me, but I NEVER pull the trigger on anything without looking it up, except for the Mystery deals, regardless of the price; because I'm in front of a computer all day, I reply quickly, and so I rarely get denied (only once so far in 5 years). Sometimes there is absolutely no information to be found, so it's a gamble, and I'm more unlikely to buy in those instances, but I still do occasionally if the prose hits my sweet spot, especially if the price seems reasonable. I have pulled the trigger on about half the Mystery deals, and while the occasional clunker arrives (Script and Seal), for the most part I think it's been a very positive experience, with solid value and frequently very good value.

I have consumed 60% of my purchases so far, and am holding a number still for their drinking window to arrive, or just collecting. I would say the vast bulk of my buys are in the $15-30 range, always with an eye towards value; gotta pay for shipping after all, and who doesn't like a good wine on sale?

I haven't found a vendor yet that is perfect, including Full Pull and others, but for the most part Garagiste has been good to me and good FOR me; and they ship to Texas at the right time of year (unlike Lot18 and some others, who cook the wine shipping it in mid-summer). Now that I have a good amount of wine on hand, I'm content to wait for the shipping season, and early Christmas arrives when a number of cases show up on my doorstep!
Tom Moore
SubscriberSubscriber

Post #2026  Postby Tom Moore » August 7th 2012, 1:33pm

William P wrote:I find it interesting how many people diss Garagiste, while I on the other hand have been pretty pleased overall with my experience, and expect to have a relationship with them in the future as long as they stick to what they're doing.

I have been a customer for 5 years. In that time I have made 212 purchases for 859 bottles at just under $20,000; about 1 buy every 9 days for 4-ish bottles at an average price of $22.67. I usually do a quick 5-minute lookup of each offering I'm interested in, checking out WS/WA/IWC notes as well as Cellartracker community notes; I then try to locate a valid price on the market via Winesearcher et al. Sometimes the feedback turns me off, sometimes it excites me, but I NEVER pull the trigger on anything without looking it up, except for the Mystery deals, regardless of the price; because I'm in front of a computer all day, I reply quickly, and so I rarely get denied (only once so far in 5 years). Sometimes there is absolutely no information to be found, so it's a gamble, and I'm more unlikely to buy in those instances, but I still do occasionally if the prose hits my sweet spot, especially if the price seems reasonable. I have pulled the trigger on about half the Mystery deals, and while the occasional clunker arrives (Script and Seal), for the most part I think it's been a very positive experience, with solid value and frequently very good value.

I have consumed 60% of my purchases so far, and am holding a number still for their drinking window to arrive, or just collecting. I would say the vast bulk of my buys are in the $15-30 range, always with an eye towards value; gotta pay for shipping after all, and who doesn't like a good wine on sale?

I haven't found a vendor yet that is perfect, including Full Pull and others, but for the most part Garagiste has been good to me and good FOR me; and they ship to Texas at the right time of year (unlike Lot18 and some others, who cook the wine shipping it in mid-summer). Now that I have a good amount of wine on hand, I'm content to wait for the shipping season, and early Christmas arrives when a number of cases show up on my doorstep!

I am in same boat as you but have cut way back recently trying to drink down cellar a bit. Definitely was educational the last 4 or 5 years trying different offerings from Garagiste and no snafus in billing or deliveries here. I am a glass half full kind of guy though so ymmv.
SSmith

Post #2027  Postby SSmith » August 10th 2012, 7:15am

Mystery #46
blah blah, can't tell you anything but varietal.

Mistakenly(?) gives away that it's a WA wine with the item number:
WA99900

Whoops.
Tom Moore
SubscriberSubscriber

Post #2028  Postby Tom Moore » August 10th 2012, 7:40am

On your mark.....get set .....delete
Todd F r e n c h
Site AdminSite Admin
Head Babysitter

Post #2029  Postby Todd F r e n c h » August 28th 2012, 3:42pm

I find it very disconcerting that I researched 'Anton Zimmermann' (for the offering today, '01 Anton Zimmermann Bernkastel-Kueser Weisenstein Riesling Auslese) on WB and found only some mentions of Zimmermann on the Washington Nationals thread. And this is a wine forum??
Apparently I'm lazy, have a narrow agenda, and offer little in the way of content and substance (RMP)
Rick Smith
SubscriberSubscriber

Post #2030  Postby Rick Smith » August 28th 2012, 3:43pm

Or it's the search function...

Return to Wine Talk