The Garagiste Thread (The Great Enabler) Back to Life

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
Otto Dobre
SubscriberSubscriber

Re: Winehunter alert: 06 Galardi Terra di Lavoro at Garagiste

Post #36  Postby Otto Dobre » June 3rd 2009, 9:21pm

Ed Murray wrote:OMG! I just said CellarTracker!!!!

Consider yourself banned!!! [drinkers.gif]

Advertisement

Cris Whetstone
SubscriberSubscriber

Post #37  Postby Cris Whetstone » June 3rd 2009, 10:58pm

Josh Beck wrote:This was a no brainer for me. I actually emailed them a couple of weeks ago to ask if they'd be offering the 06 Terra di Lavoro, as it sounds like a strong vintage, I love the wine, and I figured they'd have a great price, if not the best price we're likely to see, on the wine.

I picked up a bottle as it seems the right folks to me like it. Though Otto's endorsement has me worried. [diablo.gif]

What do you recommend for a drinking window on these Josh?
WetRock

"Man prefers to believe what he prefers to be true." - Francis Bacon

"I had taken two finger-bowls of champagne and the scene had changed before my eyes into something significant, elemental, and profound." - F. Scott Fitzgerald, The Great Gatsby
Todd F r e n c h
Site AdminSite Admin
Head Babysitter

Post #38  Postby Todd F r e n c h » June 3rd 2009, 11:05pm

You guys suck.

I went in for three.
Apparently I'm lazy, have a narrow agenda, and offer little in the way of content and substance (RMP)
Otto Dobre
SubscriberSubscriber

Post #39  Postby Otto Dobre » June 3rd 2009, 11:09pm

Cris Whetstone wrote: Though Otto's endorsement has me worried. [diablo.gif]

Ok Cris, you are banned too!!! How dare you challange the perfect palate??? [diablo.gif]
Josh Beck

Post #40  Postby Josh Beck » June 3rd 2009, 11:30pm

Cris Whetstone wrote:
Josh Beck wrote:This was a no brainer for me. I actually emailed them a couple of weeks ago to ask if they'd be offering the 06 Terra di Lavoro, as it sounds like a strong vintage, I love the wine, and I figured they'd have a great price, if not the best price we're likely to see, on the wine.

I picked up a bottle as it seems the right folks to me like it. Though Otto's endorsement has me worried. [diablo.gif]

There are others who have a longer trackrecord with this wine. However I'll say that there aren't many wineries that I'm this invested in with only three bottles drunk. Sadly I wasn't collecting when the 01 and prior vintages were released, and I'm not paying $150+ / bottle to backstock, so my experience is based on the 04 and 05, both of which I think are fantastic.

I would compare this wine to something like Leoville Barton or Montrose... not driven by ripeness or oak, but a LOT of tannin and structure, and a good bit of extract. Pretty serious wines. I don't know what their "shutting down" curve might look like, but the 04 and 05 both provided me a lot of pleasure. I've had two full bottles of the 04 and one of the 05, and a few tastes of other vintages/bottles here and there. I decanted my bottles several hours ahead of time, drank them with food, and thought they were fantastic. I am planning on holding the remainder of my 04/05 for another 5 years or so before checking in and thinking about digging in. When I get my 06's I will probably drink one with some great woodfired pizza and put the others to bed for a comparable 5-8 years minimum.
Josh Beck

Post #41  Postby Josh Beck » June 3rd 2009, 11:36pm

One other comment... and this is somewhat supposition and maybe not giving enough credit to other tasters, but I'll forge on with it anyways:

I read a lot of notes from people who are underwhelmed. I think that this wine has a bit of a flashy image, having received high scores and being one of the very few high priced / culty wines in S. Italy (though clearly not that hard to come by). As a result, I think it gets purchased by a lot of people who like "big" flashy wines... Napa cab, and for Italian wines probably think Valdicava is the cat's meow. This results in notes from people who are underwhelmed because the wine doesn't have the mouthfeel (ie, alcohol and glycerin), "wow factor" (ie, sweetness / espresso / chocolate profile) that they look for and is instead pretty backwards, ashy, rocky, tannic, "dry" and with very fresh fruit, albeit hidden.

Anyways that's my guess based on notes I read on CT, versus my experiences and the folks I know who like the wine.
Cris Whetstone
SubscriberSubscriber

Post #42  Postby Cris Whetstone » June 3rd 2009, 11:38pm

Josh Beck wrote:One other comment... and this is somewhat supposition and maybe not giving enough credit to other tasters, but I'll forge on with it anyways:

I read a lot of notes from people who are underwhelmed. I think that this wine has a bit of a flashy image, having received high scores and being one of the very few high priced / culty wines in S. Italy (though clearly not that hard to come by). As a result, I think it gets purchased by a lot of people who like "big" flashy wines... Napa cab, and for Italian wines probably think Valdicava is the cat's meow. This results in notes from people who are underwhelmed because the wine doesn't have the mouthfeel (ie, alcohol and glycerin), "wow factor" (ie, sweetness / espresso / chocolate profile) that they look for and is instead pretty backwards, ashy, rocky, tannic, "dry" and with very fresh fruit, albeit hidden.

Anyways that's my guess based on notes I read on CT, versus my experiences and the folks I know who like the wine.

It wouldn't be the first time such things have happened Josh. Not to bash point chasers but there are many people out there who do just that and end up disappointed because they didn't consider the reviewer, their note or research the type of wine they were buying.
WetRock

"I had taken two finger-bowls of champagne and the scene had changed before my eyes into something significant, elemental, and profound." - F. Scott Fitzgerald, The Great Gatsby
Josh Beck

Post #43  Postby Josh Beck » June 3rd 2009, 11:40pm

Cris Whetstone wrote:It wouldn't be the first time such things have happened Josh. Not to bash point chasers but there are many people out there who do just that and end up disappointed because they didn't consider the reviewer, their note or research the type of wine they were buying.

Happens to me all the time :)

Recently I have been horrified at the Revello and Mas Romani wines I own. C'est la vie! Gotta taste to find out :)
Otto Dobre
SubscriberSubscriber

Post #44  Postby Otto Dobre » June 3rd 2009, 11:52pm

Cris, I think that the Galardi will satisfy everyone. It is a big wine, yet mainly fruit driven rather than oak driven. So no chocolate notes in this wine. But it is a large, bruising wine, while not overextracted.

Otto
Paul L i n

Post #45  Postby Paul L i n » June 4th 2009, 12:16am

I have never tried this wine, nor any wine from Campania for that matter, but Galloni's note -- "layers of flowers, violets, graphite, tar, smoke and black cherries" -- made this wine too tantalizing to pass up. Of course, the score did not hurt either. :D
Josh Beck

Post #46  Postby Josh Beck » June 4th 2009, 12:28am

The 1999 Feudi di San Gregorio Taurasi Riserva Piano di Montevergine that Garagiste offered a while back is a mind bogglingly great $30 bottle as well. I had had the wine before and at $30 I bought a case and am wishing I had bought more...

In fact, seeing that K&L has the 01 for $40, I will have to sample that soon and, if it's anything like the 99, load up!
Ken V
SubscriberSubscriber
Fine Wine Geek

Post #47  Postby Ken V » June 4th 2009, 6:10am

Josh Beck wrote:One other comment... and this is somewhat supposition and maybe not giving enough credit to other tasters, but I'll forge on with it anyways:

I think this is a very good point, Josh. This is a very serious wine. It is not lavish. Even though it is big, it leans toward austerity rather than fleshy fruit. The first vintage I tried was the 02. I posted a note on erp saying something like "call me crazy, but this reminds me of Haut Brion". Rico Thompson (whose palate I greatly respect) posted in the thread and pointed me to a note he had posted earlier which made the same comparison to Haut Brion. It has a gravely earthy quality. It also has great structure.

There is lots of talk about how Parker likes a certain type of wine. I sure don't want to open that can of worms here, but I can say for sure that Antonio Galloni has a very broad palate, e.g. in Barolo he likes everything from Rinaldi to Voerzio. So point-chasers have to be especially careful to read the notes and calibrate.

Here's a can of worms I will open up: When I list the noble red grapes of Italy, first comes Nebbiolo, then Aglianico, ahead of Sangiovese.

Sangiovese replies:

I got a list, here's the order of my list that it's in
It goes Reggie, Jay-Z, Tupac and Biggie
Andre from Outkast, Jada, Kurupt, Nas and then me
But in this industry I'm the cause of a LOT of envy
So when I'm not put on this list, the shit does NOT offend me
Ken V @ s t o l @
The Fine Wine Geek
Click on the W W W button under my name to see my website.
"Don't be meek, embrace the geek." -Terry Theise
Twitter: @FineWineGeek
Andrew Hall
SubscriberSubscriber

Post #48  Postby Andrew Hall » June 4th 2009, 6:18am

K V a s t o l a wrote: Here's a can of worms I will open up: When I list the noble red grapes of Italy, first comes Nebbiolo, then Aglianico, ahead of Sangiovese.

Two ways to look at.

1) Which grape has a higher overall level across its expression? The Sangio > Aglianico

2) Which grape is capable of the highest expression? Aglianico > Sangio. Except that based on Pepe/Valentini, I'd put MdA > Aglianico. And time will tell if the experiments w/ Nero d'Avola will get there. I am open to the fact though that a Brunello will come along and ring my bell so solidy as to vault over the others which is the historical/marketplace position.

A.
Andrew Hall (itb)

andrew @ cellartracker dot com
mike.m

Post #49  Postby mike.m » June 4th 2009, 7:13am

Ed Murray wrote:
mike.m wrote:I picked up a few bottles of the 03 at $20 per from a distributor closeout. I tried to get more and some of the 02 but thet had ghost inventory showing.

How long should I wait on the 03? I only have 2 bottles and I would like to drink them close to their prime, even if that means waiting.

The one time I had it it was pretty damn tannic (but tasty!)

Love this wine, haven't tried the '06.

I plan to wait 10 years for my '03's, assuming I can hold out. CellarTracker! shows a start date of 2017. How long can you wait?

OMG! I just said CellarTracker!!!!

I'm only 28. I have time to wait. I tried it about a year ago and really liked it, but I wasn't sure of how it would shut down and evolve. Maybe I will try one in about five years and decide what to do with my last bottle.
M i k o w i c z
ITB
Todd F r e n c h
Site AdminSite Admin
Head Babysitter

Post #50  Postby Todd F r e n c h » June 4th 2009, 8:40am

BLittle wrote:i was wondering if there was going to be a Garagiste thread on this site... it was one of my favorites before it was locked... Should this be in another forum since it is retail?

as for this offering, tempting, but I've cut way back from the Great Enabler

I welcome a Garagiste thread on here, if someone wants to start one. We can guide threads/posts there as needed.
Apparently I'm lazy, have a narrow agenda, and offer little in the way of content and substance (RMP)
Cris Whetstone
SubscriberSubscriber

Post #51  Postby Cris Whetstone » June 4th 2009, 10:49am

Josh Beck wrote:The 1999 Feudi di San Gregorio Taurasi Riserva Piano di Montevergine that Garagiste offered a while back is a mind bogglingly great $30 bottle as well. I had had the wine before and at $30 I bought a case and am wishing I had bought more...

In fact, seeing that K&L has the 01 for $40, I will have to sample that soon and, if it's anything like the 99, load up!

That was an accidental offer after they didn't have enough Serpico if I remember correctly. They offered to do a one for one on the bottle I ordered so I said sure. Then I did a little research and asked for a couple more.
:D
WetRock

Josh Beck

Post #52  Postby Josh Beck » June 4th 2009, 10:54am

Cris Whetstone wrote:That was an accidental offer after they didn't have enough Serpico if I remember correctly. They offered to do a one for one on the bottle I ordered so I said sure. Then I did a little research and asked for a couple more.
:D

I vaguely recall something like that now that you mention it.

FWIW, I think the Piano di Montevergine is a much better wine than the Serpico, but what do I know?
Todd F r e n c h
Site AdminSite Admin
Head Babysitter

The Garagiste Thread (The Great Enabler) Back to Life

Post #53  Postby Todd F r e n c h » June 4th 2009, 5:16pm

I'm resurrecting a new version of what is bound to be an exciting and informative thread for many.
AnthonyA

Re: The Garagiste Thread (The Great Enabler) Back to Life

Post #54  Postby AnthonyA » June 4th 2009, 5:30pm

I've been on the Garagiste mailing list for quite a number of years and in fact just recently picked up about 3 cases that had been at their warehouse for over a year.

I live in Seattle and attended a French wine tasting there in 2007. Got to meet Jon and his wife (and daughter) at the tasting. Super interesting and knowledgable guy to say the least. He used to live here in Seattle and now lives in NYC. If I remember correctly, he said it is closer to Europe where he always seems to be. Anyway, just a great guy and well as the title of the thread say....."The Great Enabler!! He is almost never wrong on his advice and the wine he recommends. And Niki actually lives in Colorado..talk about a virtual wine store!!
Anthony Auerbach
Yoni O v a d i a
SubscriberSubscriber

Post #55  Postby Yoni O v a d i a » June 4th 2009, 5:41pm

I know my thread title wasn't as cool or anything, but you soooooooo jacked my idea...

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=26&p=106&hilit=garagiste#p106
I'm Yoni Ovadia, and I approve this message.

The characters are better 'Over Here', the wine deals from Max are banned 'Over There' and The Palate & Crew are sinking on a FAIL boat that a Somalian pirate wouldn't even try to climb aboard. - Lance Smith
Todd F r e n c h
Site AdminSite Admin
Head Babysitter

Post #56  Postby Todd F r e n c h » June 4th 2009, 5:44pm

Yoni Ovadia wrote:I know my thread title wasn't as cool or anything, but you soooooooo jacked my idea...

There you go, Yoni, now you are shown as the thread originator.

Happy?
Yoni O v a d i a
SubscriberSubscriber

Post #57  Postby Yoni O v a d i a » June 4th 2009, 5:45pm

Todd F r e n c h wrote:
Yoni Ovadia wrote:I know my thread title wasn't as cool or anything, but you soooooooo jacked my idea...

Happy?

NO, I think I need to win the next 3 raffles and then we can call it even.
I'm Yoni Ovadia, and I approve this message.

The characters are better 'Over Here', the wine deals from Max are banned 'Over There' and The Palate & Crew are sinking on a FAIL boat that a Somalian pirate wouldn't even try to climb aboard. - Lance Smith
AnthonyA

Post #58  Postby AnthonyA » June 4th 2009, 5:48pm

Yoni Ovadia wrote:
Todd F r e n c h wrote:

Happy?

NO, I think I need to win the next 3 raffles and then we can call it even.

Yoni, I bet you'd be happier if the Dodgers won their division and the World Series.. I grew up in So. Cal and still bleed Dodger blue and always will [cheers.gif]
Anthony Auerbach
Ed Murray
SubscriberSubscriber

Post #59  Postby Ed Murray » June 4th 2009, 7:06pm

Who was in for the Galardi? I was in for six - hope they can get some mag's!
It's not the event, it's the reaction to the event!
Phillip F r a n k s
SubscriberSubscriber

Post #60  Postby Phillip F r a n k s » June 4th 2009, 7:11pm

I was definitely in, I couldn't pass it up.
"DUSTOFF"
It's always better in Magnum
Paul L i n

Post #61  Postby Paul L i n » June 4th 2009, 11:32pm

Ed Murray wrote:Who was in for the Galardi? I was in for six - hope they can get some mag's!

Had never heard of it until I got the email, but I picked up a bottle just for fun.
James Sanders

Post #62  Postby James Sanders » June 5th 2009, 10:09am

Last version of the Apremont Savoie was mighty tasty.
Cris Whetstone
SubscriberSubscriber

Post #63  Postby Cris Whetstone » June 5th 2009, 10:10am

James Sanders wrote:Last version of the Apremont Savoie was mighty tasty.

I haven't tried any of the 06's yet but the 05's were a terrific value.
WetRock

Ed Murray
SubscriberSubscriber

Post #64  Postby Ed Murray » June 6th 2009, 11:02am

Wine Advocate: “($125); 21 Grams is a collaboration between Gramercy Cellars and Waters Winery in which each winery selects the best lots of Bordeaux varieties in the cellar to be blended together to produce 75 cases available only to customers on the mailing lists of the wineries. Kudos to the two participating wineries The 2005 Walla Walla Valley Red Wine is composed of 89% Cabernet Sauvignon and 11% Petit Verdot. Purple-colored, it offers up an excellent perfume of pain grille, pencil lead, earth notes, black cherry, blackberry, and a hint of licorice in the background. Mouth-filling, ripe, and structured, this full-flavored effort could easily pass for a classified growth Pauillac from a top vintage. It should evolve in the manner of a top Bordeaux for another 6-8 years and perform at its peak from 2015 to 2030. This is a wine to please both the intellect and the senses. 94pts”

Who's in on the 21 Grams? (I'm not but was wondering if anyone around here has tasted it.)
It's not the event, it's the reaction to the event!
G Williams

Post #65  Postby G Williams » June 6th 2009, 11:39am

Ed Murray wrote:
Wine Advocate: “($125); 21 Grams is a collaboration between Gramercy Cellars and Waters Winery in which each winery selects the best lots of Bordeaux varieties in the cellar to be blended together to produce 75 cases available only to customers on the mailing lists of the wineries. Kudos to the two participating wineries The 2005 Walla Walla Valley Red Wine is composed of 89% Cabernet Sauvignon and 11% Petit Verdot. Purple-colored, it offers up an excellent perfume of pain grille, pencil lead, earth notes, black cherry, blackberry, and a hint of licorice in the background. Mouth-filling, ripe, and structured, this full-flavored effort could easily pass for a classified growth Pauillac from a top vintage. It should evolve in the manner of a top Bordeaux for another 6-8 years and perform at its peak from 2015 to 2030. This is a wine to please both the intellect and the senses. 94pts”

Who's in on the 21 Grams? (I'm not but was wondering if anyone around here has tasted it.)

I tasted the 05. Great extraction, and color. Very young but missing the depth I would like at the price point. It was good but not something I really dug nor would I spend north of bill to get some. In a blind line up, Harlan would come out the clear winner but they aren't charging Harlan prices. YMMV
Geoff Williams, ITB
Vintners Cru
Chris S p i k e s

Post #66  Postby Chris S p i k e s » June 7th 2009, 2:57pm

Anyone grab any of the 1998 Margae? Never had it, but I'll rely on the review and that it has 11 years of age on it and pick up 6.

Chris
Andrew Hall
SubscriberSubscriber

Post #67  Postby Andrew Hall » June 7th 2009, 3:12pm

I think you have to read between the lines, even more than usual, with G's domestic offerings. Like the G of old which pimped the out of the Aussie ooze monsters long before BigDoctorJ got fluffed by Dan, there is a soft spot in Jon's heart for wines which are extreme.

Like the Long Shadows where he didn't mention Rolland at all. I got it, reading between the lines, for guests and my occasional lapse where that big OTT style will fit the bill.

I say this purely out of love, because I do think a foolish consistency ..., but don't expect the Jon who grooves on freak terroir oddities from places in Europe w/o electricity is the same one who raves about domestic producers.

A.
Andrew Hall (itb)

andrew @ cellartracker dot com
Jim Brennan

Post #68  Postby Jim Brennan » June 11th 2009, 5:01am

Galardi take #2 last night. Given the positive comments here and elsewhere, as well as Galloni's very positive take on the '06, I figured I couldn't pass this one up.
Chris S p i k e s

Post #69  Postby Chris S p i k e s » June 12th 2009, 6:08am

Any of you Oregon pinot drinkers jumping on the Belle Pente offering?

Chris
Mel Hill
SubscriberSubscriber

Post #70  Postby Mel Hill » June 12th 2009, 7:34am

Anybody had
1990 Schloss Schönborn Riesling Rheingau Spätlese
or the
1983 Schloss Schönborn Rüdesheimer Bischofsberg Riesling Spätlese

I want to open one on Saturday afternoon?

TIA

Return to Wine Talk