The Garagiste Thread (The Great Enabler) Back to Life

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
User avatar
Jay Winton
SubscriberSubscriber
 
Posts: 1281
Joined: June 1st 2009, 5:21pm
Location: University Park, MD/Rehoboth Beach, DE

Re: The Garagiste Thread (The Great Enabler) Back to Life

Post #71  Postby Jay Winton » June 12th 2009, 7:40am

We've drunk a couple of the 2003 Yarrabank Cuvee Method Traditional (Yarra Valley) sparkler and JR's comment "It is vibrant, cutting and full of the distinct mineral and varietal tone this valley is know for" is pretty accurate. Absolutely no complaints for $16.
Immaturity-my life, not my wine.

Advertisement

User avatar
gene keenan
SubscriberSubscriber
 
Posts: 2857
Joined: April 19th 2009, 12:29pm
Location: San Francisco

Re: The Garagiste Thread (The Great Enabler) Back to Life

Post #72  Postby gene keenan » June 12th 2009, 8:13pm

Mel Hill wrote:Anybody had
1990 Schloss Schönborn Riesling Rheingau Spätlese
or the
1983 Schloss Schönborn Rüdesheimer Bischofsberg Riesling Spätlese

I want to open one on Saturday afternoon?

TIA


I popped one of the 90's in a house party setting. It must have been a flawed bottle because it was very unremarkable. Did not take the time to sit and think about it. It seems to be getting some props on CT but the notes are variable.
Jerry loved well aged BV Private Reserve Georges De Latour
User avatar
Mel Hill
SubscriberSubscriber
 
Posts: 4792
Joined: January 27th 2009, 1:56pm
Location: Illinois

Re: The Garagiste Thread (The Great Enabler) Back to Life

Post #73  Postby Mel Hill » June 12th 2009, 8:26pm

thanks, I forgot about CT... I'm not a user (yet)
User avatar
gene keenan
SubscriberSubscriber
 
Posts: 2857
Joined: April 19th 2009, 12:29pm
Location: San Francisco

Re: The Garagiste Thread (The Great Enabler) Back to Life

Post #74  Postby gene keenan » June 12th 2009, 11:23pm

i use CT more for reviews than anything else. I tried using the management tool for a very short while (never completed adding my wine) and then i realized i just don't care about spending the time to track my wine inventory. i like being surprised and disappointed.
Jerry loved well aged BV Private Reserve Georges De Latour
User avatar
Josh Beck
 
Posts: 1987
Joined: February 5th 2009, 11:59am

Re: The Garagiste Thread (The Great Enabler) Back to Life

Post #75  Postby Josh Beck » June 12th 2009, 11:49pm

Curious if anyone bit on the Lamy St. Aubins?

En Remilly is a great vineyard, competes well at the low end of the Chassagne 1er spectrum. Lamy is a producer I've wanted to try for a while, and 07 is a vintage that seems to have a lot of promise in white burg (premox issue aside) so I was psyched to try a couple...
User avatar
Phillip F r a n k s
(Online)
SubscriberSubscriber
 
Posts: 1828
Joined: January 27th 2009, 6:49pm
Location: Huntington Beach, CA

Re: The Garagiste Thread (The Great Enabler) Back to Life

Post #76  Postby Phillip F r a n k s » June 13th 2009, 5:05am

Josh Beck wrote:Curious if anyone bit on the Lamy St. Aubins?

En Remilly is a great vineyard, competes well at the low end of the Chassagne 1er spectrum. Lamy is a producer I've wanted to try for a while, and 07 is a vintage that seems to have a lot of promise in white burg (premox issue aside) so I was psyched to try a couple...


I had to get a bottle of each. I'm a sucker for White Burg.
"DUSTOFF"
It's always better in Magnum
User avatar
Ryan Caughey
(Online)
SubscriberSubscriber
 
Posts: 1648
Joined: June 2nd 2009, 4:20pm
Location: Houston, TX

Re: The Garagiste Thread (The Great Enabler) Back to Life

Post #77  Postby Ryan Caughey » June 17th 2009, 1:28pm

Anyone have any experience with recent vintages of the Bourdy just offered. Sounds intriguing.
User avatar
Andrew Hall
SubscriberSubscriber
 
Posts: 1182
Joined: May 29th 2009, 11:54am

Re: The Garagiste Thread (The Great Enabler) Back to Life

Post #78  Postby Andrew Hall » June 17th 2009, 1:34pm

Ryan Caughey wrote:Anyone have any experience with recent vintages of the Bourdy just offered. Sounds intriguing.


None. Got 4 anyway.

Waiting for my 82 and 85 in Fall.

I successfully went 13 w/o ordering anything though.


A.
Andrew Hall (itb)

andrew @ cellartracker dot com
User avatar
David Whitworth
SubscriberSubscriber
 
Posts: 378
Joined: May 29th 2009, 10:25am
Location: Issaquah, WA

Re: The Garagiste Thread (The Great Enabler) Back to Life

Post #79  Postby David Whitworth » June 17th 2009, 1:45pm

Andrew Hall wrote:
Ryan Caughey wrote:Anyone have any experience with recent vintages of the Bourdy just offered. Sounds intriguing.


None. Got 4 anyway.

Waiting for my 82 and 85 in Fall.

I successfully went 13 w/o ordering anything though.


A.


Ha. I too broke my ordering hiatus and grabbed 4 as well.
User avatar
Josh Beck
 
Posts: 1987
Joined: February 5th 2009, 11:59am

Re: The Garagiste Thread (The Great Enabler) Back to Life

Post #80  Postby Josh Beck » June 17th 2009, 1:56pm

I hadn't ordered in months but the 06 Terra di Lavoro, the 07 Lamy St Aubins and the 05 Bourdy all got me....
User avatar
Eldon Gath
SubscriberSubscriber
 
Posts: 224
Joined: February 18th 2009, 12:07am
Location: The OC

Re: The Garagiste Thread (The Great Enabler) Back to Life

Post #81  Postby Eldon Gath » June 17th 2009, 9:31pm

Ryan Caughey wrote:Anyone have any experience with recent vintages of the Bourdy just offered. Sounds intriguing.


Yeah, I too went for 4 of the 05 Bourdys, as maybe someday I will get my 55 to compare them to. And, unlike many of you, I managed to go an entire month without ordering anything. [boredom.gif]
User avatar
Eldon Gath
SubscriberSubscriber
 
Posts: 224
Joined: February 18th 2009, 12:07am
Location: The OC

Re: The Garagiste Thread (The Great Enabler) Back to Life

Post #82  Postby Eldon Gath » June 17th 2009, 9:41pm

Now, to complain: 2006 Synthese from Riberach. It is a blend of old vine Carignane, Syrah, and Grenache from the Cotes Catalanes (France). Unbelievable Garagiste write-up. NOT this wine!!! Nose of swamp water initially, mutating to old nylon carpet. Palate of ... NOTHING, followed by a 2 second finish. Just amazing plonk, beaten badly by Charles Shaw of any vintage. You would simply NOT believe the Garagiste write-up of this wine. It has had more to do with my not buying anything for the last couple of months. It is simply impossible for THIS to be THAT wine. Any of you out there bought and tried this yet? Is mine so flawed? I know it cannot be me - not this far from decent. Another French (and frankly Garagiste) disappointment. Both, quite common.
[dash1.gif]
User avatar
Josh Beck
 
Posts: 1987
Joined: February 5th 2009, 11:59am

Re: The Garagiste Thread (The Great Enabler) Back to Life

Post #83  Postby Josh Beck » June 17th 2009, 10:19pm

Eldon Gath wrote:Another French (and frankly Garagiste) disappointment. Both, quite common.


I haven't had the Synthese, Eldon, but I think all of us understand the sentiment of Garagiste wines that don't live up to the hype... such is the game with Garagiste, how many Petrus / Ramonet / Monfortino beating $13 bottles can there be in the world after all?

[rofl.gif]

Personally though I probably have had the best luck buying French wines from Garagiste as opposed to other nationalities, but then again I drink and enjoy French wine on the whole (and it's a big whole) more than any other nationality.
User avatar
Cris Whetstone
SubscriberSubscriber
 
Posts: 10379
Joined: January 27th 2009, 2:09pm
Location: OC, CA

Re: The Garagiste Thread (The Great Enabler) Back to Life

Post #84  Postby Cris Whetstone » June 17th 2009, 10:37pm

Josh Beck wrote:Personally though I probably have had the best luck buying French wines from Garagiste as opposed to other nationalities, but then again I drink and enjoy French wine on the whole (and it's a big whole) more than any other nationality.

I'm pretty sure we gave Eldon some warning before signing up with Garagiste. His anti-French wine strategy should have been warning enough.
[cheers.gif]
WetRock

"Man prefers to believe what he prefers to be true." - Francis Bacon

"I had taken two finger-bowls of champagne and the scene had changed before my eyes into something significant, elemental, and profound." - F. Scott Fitzgerald, The Great Gatsby
Mo K a n g
ContributorContributor
 
Posts: 300
Joined: April 24th 2009, 11:13am

Re: The Garagiste Thread (The Great Enabler) Back to Life

Post #85  Postby Mo K a n g » June 18th 2009, 12:12pm

Eldon Gath wrote:Now, to complain: 2006 Synthese from Riberach. It is a blend of old vine Carignane, Syrah, and Grenache from the Cotes Catalanes (France). Unbelievable Garagiste write-up. NOT this wine!!! Nose of swamp water initially, mutating to old nylon carpet. Palate of ... NOTHING, followed by a 2 second finish. Just amazing plonk, beaten badly by Charles Shaw of any vintage. You would simply NOT believe the Garagiste write-up of this wine. It has had more to do with my not buying anything for the last couple of months. It is simply impossible for THIS to be THAT wine. Any of you out there bought and tried this yet? Is mine so flawed? I know it cannot be me - not this far from decent. Another French (and frankly Garagiste) disappointment. Both, quite common.
[dash1.gif]


If this is not complaining, what is? Not that there is anything wrong with complaining. I have had mostly good luck with Garagiste wines, which is why I still keep buying from them. If you are getting a lot of disappointments, then your palate does not match well with Jon's and you should stop buying.
Chris S p i k e s
 
Posts: 1905
Joined: February 12th 2009, 11:48pm

Re: The Garagiste Thread (The Great Enabler) Back to Life

Post #86  Postby Chris S p i k e s » June 18th 2009, 8:47pm

Ok, not directly wine related, but has anyone ordered the mustards he is offering? He claims they are some of the most sought after items, but I don't have any experience. Any thoughts or history?

Chris
User avatar
Ryan Caughey
(Online)
SubscriberSubscriber
 
Posts: 1648
Joined: June 2nd 2009, 4:20pm
Location: Houston, TX

Re: The Garagiste Thread (The Great Enabler) Back to Life

Post #87  Postby Ryan Caughey » June 18th 2009, 9:14pm

I ordered some. I've enjoyed Garagiste's olive oils in the past, and I'm a big mustard fiend--how can you go wrong?
User avatar
Kain Evans
 
Posts: 27
Joined: June 9th 2009, 10:31am
Location: Woodinville, WA

Re: The Garagiste Thread (The Great Enabler) Back to Life

Post #88  Postby Kain Evans » June 18th 2009, 11:35pm

I ordered some as well. I kicked myself for months last year after not ordering.

-Kain
User avatar
alan weinberg
SubscriberSubscriber
 
Posts: 5942
Joined: April 25th 2009, 1:23pm

Re: The Garagiste Thread (The Great Enabler) Back to Life

Post #89  Postby alan weinberg » June 19th 2009, 7:45am

Chris S p i k e s wrote:Ok, not directly wine related, but has anyone ordered the mustards he is offering? He claims they are some of the most sought after items, but I don't have any experience. Any thoughts or history?

Chris

last year's mustard was simply amazing--but it wasn't all gussied up with herbs and pepper--it was just mustard and it was as good or better than any E. Fallot offering. I tentatively ordered some of each of the 3 mustards offered this time, but I wish they had a simple mustard like last year.
alan
Dale Mc Claran
 
Posts: 3
Joined: May 28th 2009, 5:38pm

Re: The Garagiste Thread (The Great Enabler) Back to Life

Post #90  Postby Dale Mc Claran » June 19th 2009, 8:48am

I bit on last nights 06 Le Cupole offering, seemed interesting, and had a good experience with a past offer on a Italian cab franc based wine. Though it wasnt quite Sassacia for $21 as promised ;)
Mo K a n g
ContributorContributor
 
Posts: 300
Joined: April 24th 2009, 11:13am

Re: The Garagiste Thread (The Great Enabler) Back to Life

Post #91  Postby Mo K a n g » June 19th 2009, 11:47am

Kain Evans wrote:I ordered some as well. I kicked myself for months last year after not ordering.

-Kain


Man, you are tempting me. I am still enjoying the truffle salt from them. Great with mac and cheese!
User avatar
Jared Wagner
 
Posts: 381
Joined: May 27th 2009, 11:24am
Location: Maple Valley, WA

Re: The Garagiste Thread (The Great Enabler) Back to Life

Post #92  Postby Jared Wagner » June 19th 2009, 2:10pm

I'd love to be able to add some insight to Garagiste wines I've ordered and drank but they never freakin' seem to arrive! I think the biggest hyperbole Jon ever writes is his famous..."Arrives in 2 to 3 weeks"
User avatar
Kain Evans
 
Posts: 27
Joined: June 9th 2009, 10:31am
Location: Woodinville, WA

Re: The Garagiste Thread (The Great Enabler) Back to Life

Post #93  Postby Kain Evans » June 19th 2009, 2:49pm

Jared Wagner wrote:I'd love to be able to add some insight to Garagiste wines I've ordered and drank but they never freakin' seem to arrive! I think the biggest hyperbole Jon ever writes is his famous..."Arrives in 2 to 3 weeks"


This drives me nuts too. Being local, I actually think I may see it in that time. What really gets my goat though are the wines that are arriving in 2-3 weeks and then a year later the order gets canceled. The reasons have always been solid (damaged in transit) but really, it was supposed to be in the warehouse a year ago and the shipping was so screwed up took a year and then is heat damaged? [dash1.gif]

At the end of the day though I'd rather the cancel and refund than try and pass something off.

-Kain
User avatar
Andrew Hall
SubscriberSubscriber
 
Posts: 1182
Joined: May 29th 2009, 11:54am

Re: The Garagiste Thread (The Great Enabler) Back to Life

Post #94  Postby Andrew Hall » June 19th 2009, 4:07pm

  • 2006 Felline Alberello Rosso Salento IGT - Italy, Puglia, Salento IGT (6/19/2009)
    Very solid and robust. Plummy fruit with rusty earth acids. Edges of roast and licorice. Nice length and a well-defined spread. Very nice.
  • 2006 Felline Alberello Rosso Salento IGT - Italy, Puglia, Salento IGT (1/30/2009)
    Nice with bright acids, slight rust and bramble notes and good (light) precise structure. Abrupt on the finish though it did lengthen after several hours and the wine's angularily softened. Would never know this as Primitivo as compared to the examples I've had. Solid and enjoyable.
[i]Posted from CellarTracker[/i
Andrew Hall (itb)

andrew @ cellartracker dot com
nedhoey
 
Posts: 108
Joined: June 3rd 2009, 9:16pm

Re: The Garagiste Thread (The Great Enabler) Back to Life

Post #95  Postby nedhoey » June 19th 2009, 9:41pm

Kain Evans wrote:
Jared Wagner wrote:I'd love to be able to add some insight to Garagiste wines I've ordered and drank but they never freakin' seem to arrive! I think the biggest hyperbole Jon ever writes is his famous..."Arrives in 2 to 3 weeks"


This drives me nuts too. Being local, I actually think I may see it in that time. What really gets my goat though are the wines that are arriving in 2-3 weeks and then a year later the order gets canceled. The reasons have always been solid (damaged in transit) but really, it was supposed to be in the warehouse a year ago and the shipping was so screwed up took a year and then is heat damaged? [dash1.gif]

At the end of the day though I'd rather the cancel and refund than try and pass something off.

-Kain


I have ordered wines from Garagiste since 2002. In that time I have ordered 700 line items. I have never been informed that
an item is being refunded due to damage. To best of my memory, I've been refunded only twice, both times the source failed to deliver to Garagiste. That record is at the highest success level for pre-arrival sales.

I'm in Santa Cruz California and I see wines arriving from them sporadically from Oct. thru May. Occasionally a particular wine intended for immediate summer consumption will miss the May window. I hate it when that happens. For the most part wines arrive within six months and in fine condition.
User avatar
Kain Evans
 
Posts: 27
Joined: June 9th 2009, 10:31am
Location: Woodinville, WA

Re: The Garagiste Thread (The Great Enabler) Back to Life

Post #96  Postby Kain Evans » June 20th 2009, 1:03am

I must just be unlucky. I have been ordering for about 2 years now (about 100 items) and have 4 cancelled now. All have been things that were way past the expected delivery date.

Don't get me wrong, they have always tried to make it right and that is why I continue to order.

-Kain
User avatar
Jason Hagen
 
Posts: 3749
Joined: February 2nd 2009, 11:37am
Location: SoCal

Re: The Garagiste Thread (The Great Enabler) Back to Life

Post #97  Postby Jason Hagen » June 22nd 2009, 1:38pm

any takers on the 2004 Malvira Roero Superiore “Mombeltramo”?

J
Andrew Gold
 
Posts: 494
Joined: June 13th 2009, 6:58pm
Location: Portland, Or

Re: The Garagiste Thread (The Great Enabler) Back to Life

Post #98  Postby Andrew Gold » June 22nd 2009, 6:12pm

nedhoey wrote:
I have ordered wines from Garagiste since 2002. In that time I have ordered 700 line items. I have never been informed that
an item is being refunded due to damage. To best of my memory, I've been refunded only twice, both times the source failed to deliver to Garagiste. That record is at the highest success level for pre-arrival sales.

I'm in Santa Cruz California and I see wines arriving from them sporadically from Oct. thru May. Occasionally a particular wine intended for immediate summer consumption will miss the May window. I hate it when that happens. For the most part wines arrive within six months and in fine condition.


I just wish that Garagiste made it clearer when signing up, or even in each offer that the wine's will realistically take 6 or more months to arrive. I signed up only last fall, and the very first offer was for a New Zealand pinot that I had vaguely heard of. Never having tried a down under pinot I bought a few to try out. It's now been nearly a year and the wine still isn't in the country. At this point I have very little interest in the wine, and am just annoyed that money has been tied up the entire time.

For me moving forward, I'm only going to buy wines I have heard, ideally tried, and am planning to want to cellar for a year or more prior to opening the first bottle. Everything else I've ordered from them has been only a moderate deal, if any at all.
User avatar
Todd F r e n c h
Site AdminSite Admin
Head Babysitter
 
Posts: 30922
Joined: January 27th 2009, 9:46am
Location: San Clemente, CA

Re: The Garagiste Thread (The Great Enabler) Back to Life

Post #99  Postby Todd F r e n c h » June 22nd 2009, 6:13pm

Jason Hagen wrote:any takers on the 2004 Malvira Roero Superiore “Mombeltramo”?

J

in for 2 bottles...
Apparently I'm lazy, have a narrow agenda, and offer little in the way of content and substance (RMP)
User avatar
John Liotta
(Online)
 
Posts: 4235
Joined: January 29th 2009, 6:42pm
Location: Atlanta, GA.

Re: The Garagiste Thread (The Great Enabler) Back to Life

Post #100  Postby John Liotta » June 22nd 2009, 6:29pm

Andrew Gold wrote:
nedhoey wrote:
I have ordered wines from Garagiste since 2002. In that time I have ordered 700 line items. I have never been informed that
an item is being refunded due to damage. To best of my memory, I've been refunded only twice, both times the source failed to deliver to Garagiste. That record is at the highest success level for pre-arrival sales.

I'm in Santa Cruz California and I see wines arriving from them sporadically from Oct. thru May. Occasionally a particular wine intended for immediate summer consumption will miss the May window. I hate it when that happens. For the most part wines arrive within six months and in fine condition.


I just wish that Garagiste made it clearer when signing up, or even in each offer that the wine's will realistically take 6 or more months to arrive. I signed up only last fall, and the very first offer was for a New Zealand pinot that I had vaguely heard of. Never having tried a down under pinot I bought a few to try out. It's now been nearly a year and the wine still isn't in the country. At this point I have very little interest in the wine, and am just annoyed that money has been tied up the entire time.

For me moving forward, I'm only going to buy wines I have heard, ideally tried, and am planning to want to cellar for a year or more prior to opening the first bottle. Everything else I've ordered from them has been only a moderate deal, if any at all.



Garagiste is like a sacred cow here. I doubt you will get any sympathy from these folks.
Past- ITB Wine
Present- ITB Beer
nedhoey
 
Posts: 108
Joined: June 3rd 2009, 9:16pm

Re: The Garagiste Thread (The Great Enabler) Back to Life

Post #101  Postby nedhoey » June 22nd 2009, 9:56pm

John Liotta wrote:Garagiste is like a sacred cow here. I doubt you will get any sympathy from these folks.


Sacred Cow? Not at all. Stories of slow delivery are in no way limited to them. The thing is, all reputable retailers deliver or make good. Most wines arrive in a reasonable time frame from all of them. Do you have criticisms of them?
User avatar
John Liotta
(Online)
 
Posts: 4235
Joined: January 29th 2009, 6:42pm
Location: Atlanta, GA.

Re: The Garagiste Thread (The Great Enabler) Back to Life

Post #102  Postby John Liotta » June 23rd 2009, 10:49am

nedhoey wrote:
John Liotta wrote:Garagiste is like a sacred cow here. I doubt you will get any sympathy from these folks.


Sacred Cow? Not at all. Stories of slow delivery are in no way limited to them. The thing is, all reputable retailers deliver or make good. Most wines arrive in a reasonable time frame from all of them. Do you have criticisms of them?



Dangling modifiers aside . . . yes I do have criticisms of "them" . . .
Past- ITB Wine
Present- ITB Beer
User avatar
Todd F r e n c h
Site AdminSite Admin
Head Babysitter
 
Posts: 30922
Joined: January 27th 2009, 9:46am
Location: San Clemente, CA

Re: The Garagiste Thread (The Great Enabler) Back to Life

Post #103  Postby Todd F r e n c h » June 23rd 2009, 10:54am

John Liotta wrote:
nedhoey wrote:
John Liotta wrote:Garagiste is like a sacred cow here. I doubt you will get any sympathy from these folks.


Sacred Cow? Not at all. Stories of slow delivery are in no way limited to them. The thing is, all reputable retailers deliver or make good. Most wines arrive in a reasonable time frame from all of them. Do you have criticisms of them?



Dangling modifiers aside . . . yes I do have criticisms of "them" . . .

Thread drift, but hey fauxhawk - how's the new pad, bud?
Apparently I'm lazy, have a narrow agenda, and offer little in the way of content and substance (RMP)
User avatar
John Liotta
(Online)
 
Posts: 4235
Joined: January 29th 2009, 6:42pm
Location: Atlanta, GA.

Re: The Garagiste Thread (The Great Enabler) Back to Life

Post #104  Postby John Liotta » June 23rd 2009, 11:15am

Todd F r e n c h wrote:Thread drift, but hey fauxhawk - how's the new pad, bud?



Its coming. Hopefully it will be finished (at least the big project) in three weeks. Then I will be left to finish the cellar, build a pool and do some serious landscaping. Oh yeah and we have no furniture!

House warming for New Year's Eve!
Past- ITB Wine
Present- ITB Beer
Chris S p i k e s
 
Posts: 1905
Joined: February 12th 2009, 11:48pm

Re: The Garagiste Thread (The Great Enabler) Back to Life

Post #105  Postby Chris S p i k e s » June 23rd 2009, 12:25pm

John Liotta wrote:
nedhoey wrote:
John Liotta wrote:Garagiste is like a sacred cow here. I doubt you will get any sympathy from these folks.


Sacred Cow? Not at all. Stories of slow delivery are in no way limited to them. The thing is, all reputable retailers deliver or make good. Most wines arrive in a reasonable time frame from all of them. Do you have criticisms of them?



Dangling modifiers aside . . . yes I do have criticisms of "them" . . .


John,

Can you air them here? One of my problems with Squires locking that other thread was that there were definitely some criticisms of Garagiste in it. In other words, they didn't get a free pass for advertising as he claimed.

In that spirit, I think it's beneficial to all here to show every side of an issue. Garagiste certainly isn't the Utopian place to order wine. I've ordered some from them in the past and things have been hit and miss (a criticism by itself). Better luck with Italian wines and Champagne. Not good with obscure French wines. I would avoid "novelty" wines unless you just order 1 or 2 bottles out of curiosity and have money to burn.

Chris

Return to Wine Talk