A New California Grand Cru Pinot Vineyard: Sea Smoke Southing

Interesting move.

lame!

Thanks for posting this. Will be fun to watch this thread and what comes of it

+1!

OMG… the end of the world is nigh. What will they be putting next on labels…
Private Reserve?? Old Vines???
This is so scarey.
Tom

pathetic.

Reaction (general, that is) in Burgundy, Ray? I couldn’t imagine it would be positive.

Nice, I’d better order some before it sells out!

newhere

I don’t think many here will notice. Of course, that may change.

SS can call their product what they want…

I call it a high alcohol fruit bomb…

TTT

‘According to Jim Laube’…?

So very very lame

[winner.gif]

Jonathan Newman! was busy.

Silly and pretentious. Even if there were a ranking of CA Pinot vineyards, I would hope that the different tiers would be called something other than “Grand Cru”, “Premier Cru”, etc, to avoid the pretense that they were being compared with their counterparts in Burgundy. And I would think there are a number of vineyards that would merit more consideration than Southing for the top tier.

I predict that the amount of educated consumers this alienates will far exceed the small number of half-tuned-in buyers it may attract. It’s one thing to try to create a differentiating name/logo/association for marketing purposes (Fume Blanc, for example), but another thing entirely to try to capitalize on something that already exists but to which your product has no ties or rights.

Agreed, especially when it’s the producer itself bestowing the title rather than some industry body.

I don’t like that one bit. It’s derivative and falsely self-congratulatory.

Actually I think it’ll attract more newbie/inexperienced buyers who pick up a bottle at a relatively well stocked wine shop. Mailing list members will still buy from them. People who don’t like their style will continue to not buy their wine. SeaSmoke doesn’t seem to lose much in their label “campaign”

Cary - don’t agree. But I don’t think it will hurt them much. Most wine geeks know what they’re about by now and if someone likes that wine they’re not going to refuse to buy it because of this. If someone doesn’t like the wine, I don’t see them trying it because of the label. Sales-wise, it’s a wash. I just shook my head when I saw it because for all of the sentiment I read about Cali producers wanting to not be compared to Burg, but to be judged on their own merits it seems a rather lame, sad attempt to co-opt a term that has no real meaning in California.