TN: Spectrum Wine Auction Dinner NYC - Including DRCs in tainted glasses

It was edited.

What a travesty! Blows my mind that this would happen with such wines at an event like that!

Not at all uncommon when we go to restaurants…usually tainted with stale wet cloth when drying. I ALWAYS smell the glass before any wine goes into it…many a time I’ve requested different glasses.

wow. what a shame!

brutal

After a few spells of tainted glasses, I’ve been very careful to smell my glasses prior to pouring anything. Absolutely brutal on the 90 RCs, but an exceptional lineup of wines nonetheless.

Most of the wines were poured in the backroom.

I think 1990 La Tache and 1990 Romanee Conti are just not very good. Your glasses were fine.

Unfortunately the glasses were tainted. BTW, correct bottle of the 90 La Tache is a great wine.

I don’t understand why you’re being so coy about posting the restaurant. This should never have happened at any of the current 3 Michelin star restaurants in NYC (or any Michelin star establishment, for that matter) . If I were Spectrum, I’d be furious.

Did anyone have clean glasses for the DRC’s? What did the Spectrum people say about it?

That is tough. Not nearly a wine as nice, but I remember being at an off-line, and I had a bad glass. Everyone else was saying how lovely the wine was, and thought it was horribly, horribly corked. I was looking at them like they were crazy and vice versa until someone else finally figured out my glass was bad.

Don’t know if anyone else was following this thread on the “other” forum but the thread was deleted per Kevin’s request after he asked Squires to do so.

Kevin - please explain yourself. You stirred up a flurry of questions. Rovani posted that you didn’t mention anything (in a relatively small tasting group) about the flawed glasses. And then the thread is gone What’s the story here?

David, are you implying that nobody else got tainted glasses? LOL.

It shouldn’t happen at ANY restaurant!!! Bring back the death penalty I say! Oh, wait…

I attended a large, expensive tasting of 82 Bordeaux at Sotheby’s building in New York in the late 90s in a room the reeked of new paint. The Sotheby’s people were only vaguely apologetic and made no attempt to move it to a new room.

See Don Cornwell’s post about this auction. It seems to me to contain important information.

Yeah, maybe it wasn 't the glasses that were tainted! [snort.gif] RUDY KURNIAWAN & GLOBAL WINE AUCTION FRAUD THREAD (MERGED) - WINE TALK - WineBerserkers

Wow!

David,
I gain nothing by starting a thread like this. I spoke to my better half who reminded me that I was generously hosted by spectrum wine and the matter should have been dealt privately.
Regards,

Yes, indeed. A link: https://wineimport.discoursehosting.net/t/rudy-kurniawan-global-wine-auction-fraud-thread-merged/56614/1

I don’t buy wines at auction, but…I’d sure like to know about this if I did.

Maybe the soap came with the bottles…and not from the restaurant – or the wineries? [stirthepothal.gif]