Noellat Family tree, vineyards and wines

Does anyone have good information on the Noellat family - Charles and George and their heirs ? What vineyards went where, which Leroy wines were Noellat, who has been making the wine, relationship to Hudelot-Noellat etc. ? I can’t seem to find this summarised anywhere.

Anthony,
I think I read some okay information in Clive Coate’s original Cote d’Or book, under the separate Domaine notes, I wish he had updated these in the new addition.
I did buy a bottle of Michel Noellat a few years back and spent some time researching the domiane and came up pretty much empty handed.
Best of Luck
MT

Anthony,
I have a recollection of someone contributing the Noellat history on the old Parker board. Perhaps someone here who still has access to that site can dig it up.
A

Thanks Michael. Coates details that on Charles Noellat’s death in 1939 the vineyards passed to family members comprising the Hudelot-Noellat and JJ Confuron domains and the remaining 12 ha was purchased by Leroy. Does anyone know where George Noellat fit’s in ?

I found the following link: Redirecting...

Young Maxime Cheurlin has taken over the running of the family estate from his grandmother starting with the 2010 Vintage. The domaine has Nuits St. Georges “Boudots” and parcels in the Vosne premier crus of les Chaumes and les Beaux Monts as well AC Vosne-Romanée and Nuits St. Georges, Vosne-Romanée “Petits Monts”. Echézeaux- Domaine Georg Maxime’s family’s parcel lies in the lieu à dit of Les Cruots and the vines are in excess of eighty years of age. The Grands Echézeaux from Domaine Georges Noëllat is also produced from vines in excess of eighty years of age.

and from another link http://www.lecarredesvins.com/products_cellar.php?partner=&history=true&cat_id=239&osCsid=2cc507e705fb2af31ecc45712410c25d tranlated by Google:

“Noellat The area is primarily a family affair. The name comes from the great-father Maxime Georges Noellat, the creator of the domain. At his death, his wife took over the management of Augustine area until 1986. She then gave the estate to his daughter Maria Theresa and her husband Jacques Cheurlin, grower Champagne. A separation, Marie-Thérèse returned to Burgundy and takes management area from 1991 to 2009 to leave now in the hands of his little son, Maxime Cheurlin. Maxime son of grower Champagne prefer winemaking and wine "
Burgundy, which is why he makes his training at the Lycée de Beaune Wine.”

and from: http://lemaitredechai.qc.ca/fr/portfolio/domaine-georges-nollat/ likewise google translated.

"Heritage of vineyards Georges Noellat, mainly composed of 1st and prestigious grands crus of Vosne Romanée and Nuits-Saint-Georges, is impressive by both localities as the average age of the vines, many of which are centuries old plots. For many years, the wines were sold almost entirely to trading, with a number of bottles sold under private label domain for the benefit of a few loyal customers who went every year Vosne. Maxime Cheurlin, grand-son of Maria Theresa Noellat and recently graduated from the Lycée de Beaune Wine, is responsible for the 2010 vintage.

From this first vintage under his leadership, everything was taken over by Maxime, the work of the vineyard to the winery, with the ambition to work as the greatest. Under the inspiration of its neighbors such as Jean-Nicolas Meo, Emmanuel Rouget and the DRC, this young talent has understood that to achieve the highest levels, he can not afford any compromise. The wines are honest and opulent, supported by beautiful woods that hide in no time the great race of soils.

There is no doubt that Maxime Cheurlin and thereby Domaine Georges Noellat is a future star of Burgundy. The recent tasting of the 2011 barrels came unequivocally confirm our judgment very favorable to the revival of this area that we posed with the 2010 earlier this year."

Sounds interesting !

1 Like

Anthony:
According to Jasper Morris, Leroy purcased the entire Charles Noellat domaine in '88, which included the cellars and pieces of richebourg, rsv, clos de vougeot, nuits vignerons and boudots and cosne beaumonts and brulees. According to Coates, Charles Noellat died in 1939 and in additional to the land sold to Leroy, parts of the estate passed to what are now Alain Hudelot Noellat and J.J. Confuron.

Per Remington Norman, Alain Hudelot Noellat built his own domain with two plats of vines given to him by his father, Noel, in chambolle les charmes and chambolle musigny. Alain married the the grand daughter of Charles Noellat, who inherited some vineyards (although I don’t know which).

Per Coates, Jean-Jacques Confuron married Andree Noellat, who brought Clos de Vougeot, RSV and niots boudots to the domaine. This domaine was subsequently split in 1980 but I can’t determine what went where.

Kramer’s tome (1990) shows M. Georges Noellat owning .23 hectares out les chaumes, .21 hectares of petits monts, .33 hectares of boudots (separate from the 1.4 hectares in the Leroy purchase), .80 hectares of nuits cras.

As you can imagine, there are a ton of Noellat’s and Hudelot’s in each of these books, so I’m missing something important.

Burgundy is awesome.