Richard Jennings' Sense of Humor?

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
Bill Klapp
SubscriberSubscriber

Richard Jennings' Sense of Humor?

Post #1  Postby Bill Klapp » December 7th 2012, 2:27am

Please, somebody who knows him well needs to weigh in and tell me that this is a joke:

Richard Jennings ‏@RJonWine
Doing a tasting of pears--red D'Anjou, regular D'Anjou, Bosc, Bartlett and Asian--to sharpen my pear descriptors. http://fb.me/xvvpRXN4

If not, I hope that he doesn't invite any of his regular tasting group to the upcoming cat-pee smelling (various purebreds vs. alley cats from around the world). Or the camping trips, sleeping on the ground under piles of rotting leaves to sharpen his sous bois descriptors as discovered in a variety of forests, or perhaps in a pig sty, horse stall or chicken coop to sharpen his sense of that all-important barnyard smell. Or maybe I have this all wrong and all that he is really trying to do is single-handedly bring Harry & David back from bankruptcy during this holiday season.

If he is serious about this, he needs to seek professional help. Rumors abound that he does not drink much wine, that, for him, it is all about tasting, spitting,then slinging scores and handfuls of descriptors, often the same ones over and over in tasting notes that are sprayed like bullets from an Uzi (although now maybe he can serve up red d' Anjou vs. "regular" d' Anjou in the mix). I have no idea if that is true or not (I sincerely hope not), but the notion would be consistent with the ludicrous fetishism that "sharpening one's pear descriptors" represents. People, it is time to tear asunder what Parker and his progeny hath wrought. Forget about the "what would Jesus do?" test. The pear tasting, if for real, would fail the "what would Neal Martin do?" test of descriptor foolishness. Hopefully Richard will show up and tell me that he just wanted to see if I would take the bait, and, of course, he would not have a pear tasting for any reason other than his sheer enjoyment of pears. If so, Richard, God bless you, you got me!

Advertisement

Marc Frontario

Re: Richard Jennings' Sense of Humor?

Post #2  Postby Marc Frontario » December 7th 2012, 3:27am

I'm sure in some way he must have a sense of humor...but this is someone who is pursuing the academic side...a bit further out of the box than the rest of us...my question is how soon do these exotic pear descriptors start showing up in his tasting notes that will be interesting to see.
Mike During
SubscriberSubscriber

Post #3  Postby Mike During » December 7th 2012, 3:41am

Why would you discourage " sleeping on the ground under piles of rotting leaves" ?
Bill Klapp
SubscriberSubscriber

Post #4  Postby Bill Klapp » December 7th 2012, 4:13am

I would not. I would definitely do it myself. If I were homeless. But not to get a better sense of "sous bois", which seems easy enough to find in old Barolo and Burgundy!
Loren Sonkin
SubscriberSubscriber

Post #5  Postby Loren Sonkin » December 7th 2012, 5:06am

I was once at an Oregon farmer's market. They had a bunch of berries, black raspberries, boysenberries, marionberries, and others. I lined them all up (after buying) and made notes on their tastes. I don't remember much now, except boysenberries were more acidic and marionberries more bitter and dilute. Still, it was a useful exercise in helping to understand flavors. And, it gave me something to do as my wife and daughter shopped for jewelry.
With regards,

Loren
Sonkin Cellars
ITB - California Syrah Blends
Bill Moore
(Online)
SubscriberSubscriber

Post #6  Postby Bill Moore » December 7th 2012, 5:23am

There are myriad ways to enjoy wine and to write about it. Rather than try to understand and respect these different approaches to wine appreciation, you feel compelled to ridicule them publicly.

Moreover, most trolls are content just to let their comment do the work, but you even take the extra step of begging RJ to respond, after you've mocked him, said he might need therapy, and openly rumor-mongered about him. Unreal.
CT handle: Billigan
Paul H Galli

Post #7  Postby Paul H Galli » December 7th 2012, 5:27am

Hey Bill,

Lighten up.
He's the Tastinator!
He can't be stopped....

TTT
Opinot, not Oporto...
John Morris
SubscriberSubscriber

Post #8  Postby John Morris » December 7th 2012, 5:38am

Bill Moore wrote:There are myriad ways to enjoy wine and to write about it. Rather than try to understand and respect these different approaches to wine appreciation, you feel compelled to ridicule them publicly.

Moreover, most trolls are content just to let their comment do the work, but you even take the extra step of begging RJ to respond, after you've mocked him, said he might need therapy, and openly rumor-mongered about him. Unreal.

Me thinks both Richard and Bill have senses of humor.
"We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true." -- variously attributed and constantly corroborated
David M. Bueker
SubscriberSubscriber
Rieslingfan

Post #9  Postby David M. Bueker » December 7th 2012, 5:41am

After the pear tasting we can line up Bill's posts and see if we can distinguish between the many different types of sanctimony. [wink.gif] [stirthepothal.gif]
Current avatar - Torres del Paine National Park, Chile - November 2013
Paul H Galli

Post #10  Postby Paul H Galli » December 7th 2012, 5:43am

John Morris wrote:
Bill Moore wrote:There are myriad ways to enjoy wine and to write about it. Rather than try to understand and respect these different approaches to wine appreciation, you feel compelled to ridicule them publicly.

Methinks Bill has a sense of reality on this matter!

TTT
Opinot, not Oporto...
Neal.Mollen
SubscriberSubscriber

Post #11  Postby Neal.Mollen » December 7th 2012, 5:51am

David M. Bueker wrote:After the pear tasting we can line up Bill's posts and see if we can distinguish between the many different types of sanctimony. [wink.gif] [stirthepothal.gif]

[cheers.gif]
I don't have to speak; she defends me

A drunkard's dream if I ever did see one
Peter Chiu
SubscriberSubscriber

Post #12  Postby Peter Chiu » December 7th 2012, 5:51am

John Morris wrote:

96-97 % agree..
Peter Chiu
SubscriberSubscriber

Post #13  Postby Peter Chiu » December 7th 2012, 5:53am

Paul H Galli wrote:
John Morris wrote:

Methinks Bill has a sense of reality on this matter!

TTT

Me....so far 65 % agree on sense of reality and 22-23 % on sense of humor. ....
Mark Y
SubscriberSubscriber
Go Hawks!

Post #14  Postby Mark Y » December 7th 2012, 6:04am

his coverage is lacking. .there's gotta be more than 5 pear.. varietals (varieties?)
Y.e.
Bill Klapp
SubscriberSubscriber

Post #15  Postby Bill Klapp » December 7th 2012, 6:23am

David M. Bueker wrote:After the pear tasting we can line up Bill's posts and see if we can distinguish between the many different types of sanctimony. [wink.gif] [stirthepothal.gif]

David, absolutely, but I cannot participate. If I object to another lining up the pears, I cannot in good faith line up examples of my own sanctimony. But by all means, establish a committee and have at it! My only concern would be that many might feel that my sanctimony only comes in one aroma and one flavor...
Last edited by Bill Klapp on December 7th 2012, 6:25am, edited 1 time in total.
John Morris
SubscriberSubscriber

Post #16  Postby John Morris » December 7th 2012, 6:25am

markye wrote:his coverage is lacking. .there's gotta be more than 5 pear.. varietals (varieties?)

And I worry that the points scale will be compressed and inflated.
"We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true." -- variously attributed and constantly corroborated
M Champney
SubscriberSubscriber
Entropy is killing me

Post #17  Postby M Champney » December 7th 2012, 6:30am

So, Bill, what pear of pairs do you think RJ should serve with your whine? Or, should he pare it down to just a pair of pears?

;-)
[cheers.gif]

Mark

“Ignorance is a lot like alcohol: the more you have of it, the less you are able to see its effect on you.” — Jay Bylsma

aka Frabjous/CT

Tom Blach

Post #18  Postby Tom Blach » December 7th 2012, 6:32am

John Morris wrote:

I suspect John is right.

I do think wine should be enjoyed as its creators intend. It is not, in my view, valid to line it up, taste, spit, evaluate and describe.I noted yesterday when reading about Soldera that he forbids spitting in his cellar and I sympathise greatly with that. If drinking a wine is going to make you too drunk then don't drink it at all. Spitting is rather disgusting, something we tend to forget!
L e o F r o k i c
SubscriberSubscriber

Post #19  Postby L e o F r o k i c » December 7th 2012, 6:33am

Me would like to know are this estate pears or purchased. Are they biodinamic or not? What is the yield per ha? Were they picked early to preserve freshness or where they late picked to cater to critics. Did they grower/estate used the consultant or not? Do they come from the side of the tree that got direct sunlight or were they shaded from the sun? Also, what was the density of tree planting?

[popcorn.gif]
"Hey Justin -- yer a fookin' dork!" Bob Wood
My wife is ITB
Keith Levenberg

Post #20  Postby Keith Levenberg » December 7th 2012, 6:35am

Will there be backups of each pear variety to account for pear variation?
Michel Abood
SubscriberSubscriber
Vino Hunter

Post #21  Postby Michel Abood » December 7th 2012, 6:39am

L e o F r o k i c wrote:Me would like to know are this estate pears or purchased. Are they biodinamic or not? What is the yield per ha? Were they picked early to preserve freshness or where they late picked to cater to critics. Did they grower/estate used the consultant or not? Do they come from the side of the tree that got direct sunlight or were they shaded from the sun? Also, what was the density of tree planting?

[popcorn.gif]

Don't forget to check whether they were picked by nude vestal virgins under the full moon while flutists played in the orchard.
Guess what? I'm ITB-> Vinotas Selections
GregT

Post #22  Postby GregT » December 7th 2012, 6:48am

Mark you're totally right. Seems like a lot were left out.

Seckels are an obvious miss. Those are all over the place. Small and sometimes tasty but usually hard, tart, and small - rather useless really. OK for cooking but they're a pain because they're so small. The Muscadet of the pear world.

French butter pears are another, rather sweet and when ripe they get soft pretty fast. Not worth seeking out. Kind of the CA Chardonnay of the pear world.

Starkrimson is probably the most unique in terms of flavor as it's almost floral so it would be a really great one for descriptions except that nobody would know what the hell it is. Gets soft too. A little goes a long way. Kind of like the Gwertz of the pear world.

Forelle is starting to get close to an apple, by analogy in the way a Russet apple is reminiscent of a pear (which is why I think they're some of the best apples). You don't see them all that often.

Red Bartlett is a little like the Green Bartlett but can be sweeter, or at least taste sweeter - I don't know the sugar content. Actually, I think several of the varieties have red versions, so you gotta go thru those too. The Merlot of the pear world.

Concorde isn't grown all that much and I suspect that's because it doesn't have as much flavor as some of the others. Maybe because of bruising or keeping qualities too - I don't really know. Looks a little like a Bosc with the skin of a Green Bartlett, but doesn't taste as good as either. Kind of like the Viognier of the pear world - the appeal fades fast and you're wondering why you didn't just make the choice and open a Semillon or a Muscat.

And of course, Bosc rules but he has those covered. Best for baking, for eating, for poaching, and we used to use them for pear Tatin because they're firm enough to hold their shape perfectly. Only problem is that they're hard to arrange on the tart because they're so pointy - we used to cut the ends off so they'd fill in better.

Those are the only ones I could think of off the top but I'm sure there are many others. Whether they'd make useful tasting notes by appearing in a list of other descriptors is a completely different story. I think not. For example, people use the description "rose petal". I have 48 of them growing in the back, most are fragrant, and each fragrance is different. There's no such thing as "rose petal". But I get the idea when someone says it. Would it be any good if I said it was reminiscent of Mons Tillier in the fall? Who would know what that meant?

I agree with John about the sense of humor. This is pretty hilarious! Later today I'm going to taste maybe 60-70 wines and then I'm going to dinner. Will be hunting for the Comice pear notes in each!
G . T a t a r
David M. Bueker
SubscriberSubscriber
Rieslingfan

Post #23  Postby David M. Bueker » December 7th 2012, 6:57am

What happens if you taste pears on a root day?
Current avatar - Torres del Paine National Park, Chile - November 2013
Bill Klapp
SubscriberSubscriber

Post #24  Postby Bill Klapp » December 7th 2012, 7:22am

GregT wrote:Mark you're totally right. Seems like a lot were left out.

Seckels are an obvious miss. Those are all over the place. Small and sometimes tasty but usually hard, tart, and small - rather useless really. OK for cooking but they're a pain because they're so small. The Muscadet of the pear world.

French butter pears are another, rather sweet and when ripe they get soft pretty fast. Not worth seeking out. Kind of the CA Chardonnay of the pear world.

Starkrimson is probably the most unique in terms of flavor as it's almost floral so it would be a really great one for descriptions except that nobody would know what the hell it is. Gets soft too. A little goes a long way. Kind of like the Gwertz of the pear world.

Forelle is starting to get close to an apple, by analogy in the way a Russet apple is reminiscent of a pear (which is why I think they're some of the best apples). You don't see them all that often.

Red Bartlett is a little like the Green Bartlett but can be sweeter, or at least taste sweeter - I don't know the sugar content. Actually, I think several of the varieties have red versions, so you gotta go thru those too. The Merlot of the pear world.

Concorde isn't grown all that much and I suspect that's because it doesn't have as much flavor as some of the others. Maybe because of bruising or keeping qualities too - I don't really know. Looks a little like a Bosc with the skin of a Green Bartlett, but doesn't taste as good as either. Kind of like the Viognier of the pear world - the appeal fades fast and you're wondering why you didn't just make the choice and open a Semillon or a Muscat.

And of course, Bosc rules but he has those covered. Best for baking, for eating, for poaching, and we used to use them for pear Tatin because they're firm enough to hold their shape perfectly. Only problem is that they're hard to arrange on the tart because they're so pointy - we used to cut the ends off so they'd fill in better.

Those are the only ones I could think of off the top but I'm sure there are many others. Whether they'd make useful tasting notes by appearing in a list of other descriptors is a completely different story. I think not. For example, people use the description "rose petal". I have 48 of them growing in the back, most are fragrant, and each fragrance is different. There's no such thing as "rose petal". But I get the idea when someone says it. Would it be any good if I said it was reminiscent of Mons Tillier in the fall? Who would know what that meant?

I agree with John about the sense of humor. This is pretty hilarious! Later today I'm going to taste maybe 60-70 wines and then I'm going to dinner. Will be hunting for the Comice pear notes in each!

If you seek Comice but detect only supermarket Bartlett, it is a clear indication that you are not a "supertaster".

And as for the rest of you, please say what you will, except do NOT refer to "NATURAL" pears, or Parker will get drunk and make another video, in which he will tell us that (a) CdPs, not pears, are "natural", (b) only sodomites use the term "natural wine", and (c) all grand cru Burgundy is dosed with a lot worse shit than Megapurple, and should be avoided by his acolytes at all costs...
Bill Klapp
SubscriberSubscriber

Post #25  Postby Bill Klapp » December 7th 2012, 7:28am

Tom Blach wrote:
John Morris wrote:

I suspect John is right.

I do think wine should be enjoyed as its creators intend. It is not, in my view, valid to line it up, taste, spit, evaluate and describe.I noted yesterday when reading about Soldera that he forbids spitting in his cellar and I sympathise greatly with that. If drinking a wine is going to make you too drunk then don't drink it at all. Spitting is rather disgusting, something we tend to forget!

Great post, Tom, which I would augment only with the idea that "sitting with a wine" is the only way to make any rational assessment of it. (Actually, the only way to make a rational assessment of the particular BOTTLE before you, but I will leave that dilemma for another day.) Of course, if the price that one pays for that is having Suckling sitting in your cellar and sucking down your wine for 6 hours, well, I guess that you could make an exception and let him spit. And run.
Bill Klapp
SubscriberSubscriber

Post #26  Postby Bill Klapp » December 7th 2012, 7:31am

And Greg, please do not leave out the tiny, beloved Madernassa pear of the greater Alba, Italy area. I suspect that it is the ONLY pear that one could detect in Nebbiolo-based wines...
TomHill
SubscriberSubscriber

Well......

Post #27  Postby TomHill » December 7th 2012, 7:38am

Bill Klapp wrote:If he is serious about this, he needs to seek professional help. Rumors abound that he does not drink much wine, that, for him, it is all about tasting, spitting,then slinging scores and handfuls of descriptors, often the same ones over and over in tasting notes that are sprayed like bullets from an Uzi (although now maybe he can serve up red d' Anjou vs. "regular" d' Anjou in the mix). I have no idea if that is true or not (I sincerely hope not), but the notion would be consistent with the ludicrous fetishism that "sharpening one's pear descriptors" represents. People, it is time to tear asunder what Parker and his progeny hath wrought. Forget about the "what would Jesus do?" test. The pear tasting, if for real, would fail the "what would Neal Martin do?" test of descriptor foolishness. Hopefully Richard will show up and tell me that he just wanted to see if I would take the bait, and, of course, he would not have a pear tasting for any reason other than his sheer enjoyment of pears. If so, Richard, God bless you, you got me!

Well, Bill...I've been reading Asimov's new book and I think he does a pretty good job of this. In a dry/matter-of-fact way, he totally ridicules Molesworth for his repeated
use of "mandura tobacco"...whatever the heck that is.
I think Richard's idea of a pear tasting is a great one...I'd attend when he takes the PAP (Pear Advocates and Producers) show on the road to SantaFe. Not for sharpening
my pear descriptors in my long/boring TN's...but just to increase my appreciation of pears. You know...I have followed pears from the very start!!! neener
Tom
Frank Smith
SubscriberSubscriber

Post #28  Postby Frank Smith » December 7th 2012, 7:43am

It seems to me that a more interesting exercise would be to taste wine grapes picked from various sites and at various stages of ripeness.
No can link
Bill Klapp
SubscriberSubscriber

Post #29  Postby Bill Klapp » December 7th 2012, 7:52am

I did that during my walk every day this summer and fall, Frank, with Nebbiolo, Barbera, Dolcetto and occasionally Arneis. I took no notes and I claim no superior knowledge from the experience, but it was fun. (As an aside, I find it hilarious that the dominant red eating grape in the Piemonte is the "uva americana", sometimes called the "uva fragolina", which is none other than your Welch's Concord grape!)
John Morris
SubscriberSubscriber

Post #30  Postby John Morris » December 7th 2012, 8:00am

Bill Klapp wrote:If you seek Comice but detect only supermarket Bartlett, it is a clear indication that you are not a "supertaster".

Either that or the orchard owners have taken lessons from the folks in Montalcino and have substituted the primitivo of pears for the sangiovese grosso.
Neal.Mollen
SubscriberSubscriber

Post #31  Postby Neal.Mollen » December 7th 2012, 8:07am

You need an avatar, Bill. May I suggest:

I don't have to speak; she defends me

A drunkard's dream if I ever did see one
Berry Crawford

Post #32  Postby Berry Crawford » December 7th 2012, 8:17am

This seems like an unessisarily mean spirited thread.
Brian G r a f s t r o m
SubscriberSubscriber
up to no good

Post #33  Postby Brian G r a f s t r o m » December 7th 2012, 8:20am

I commend Richard for doing this tasting. There's a few times each year that I buy some various fruits for the sole purpose of "reminding myself" what they taste like.

For all the criticism that some folks like to throw around about people using specific descriptors in their TN's (implying the writer is full of shit), I'd think that a tasting like this would be widely applauded, if not at least appreciated/respected, in a community of wine geeks.

Of course, I suspect Bill's opening missive is closely related to his feelings about tasting notes, in general.
“All these characters spend their time explaining themselves, and happily recognizing that they hold the same opinions … how important they consider it to think the same things all together.” --- A.R.

CT handle: grafstrb
brigcampbell
SubscriberSubscriber

Post #34  Postby brigcampbell » December 7th 2012, 8:26am

Good for Richard
Chris Seiber is the kindest, warmest, bravest, most wonderful human being I've ever known in my life.
P. Robert
SubscriberSubscriber

Post #35  Postby P. Robert » December 7th 2012, 8:26am

PWI
Ph1l1p

Return to Wine Talk