Washington DC

Detailed information, by region, of restaurants and their wine/corkage policies
Paul Marquardt
SubscriberSubscriber

Washington DC

Post #1  Postby Paul Marquardt » May 19th 2010, 11:21am

I'll kick it off by noting that CityZen no longer allows BYO (which they very irritatingly told me a month after I made the reservation and the day before my anniversary at which we were to drink the same wines as at our wedding - "I see you wanted to bring your own wines - we no longer allow that.")

These are now a bit dated (Asia Nora is on both lists and has been closed for years) but still useful.

http://www.wideworldofwines.com/corkage.php

http://bassins.com/resources/corkage.html

Advertisement

Robert Johnston

Re: Washington DC

Post #2  Postby Robert Johnston » May 25th 2010, 7:13am

I see that Dino (from our friend Dean Gold) is not on the list from Bassin's. Dean offers free corkage Sun-Wed (excluding holidays)

I'd check with the restaurants that do offer corkage as many of them have free corkage on certain days. In addition, I've attended many wine dinners where we have been able to negotiate a reduced corkage fee for the dinner.

If you use OpenTable, check the Aditional Details section. It usually has something about whether personal wines are welcome.
Jay Winton
SubscriberSubscriber

Post #3  Postby Jay Winton » May 26th 2010, 1:27pm

in DC it's restaurant option and the law says a maximum of 2 bottles at $25 per. As with many "laws" in DC, venues do not always observe the regulation so call ahead. Dean knows more about this than moi so please comment. I know unlike MD or VA you cannot legally take unfinished wine away from the restaurant but again....
Immaturity-my life, not my wine.
Paul Marquardt
SubscriberSubscriber

Post #4  Postby Paul Marquardt » May 27th 2010, 12:30pm

Jay Winton wrote:in DC it's restaurant option and the law says a maximum of 2 bottles at $25 per. As with many "laws" in DC, venues do not always observe the regulation so call ahead. Dean knows more about this than moi so please comment. I know unlike MD or VA you cannot legally take unfinished wine away from the restaurant but again....

Actually, there's no restriction on the number of bottles in the regulation, which I just re-read. Also, DC law has changed, and restaurants can now let you take home one opened but recorked bottle in a tamper-evident bag. (However, the corkage regulation - which says the bottles can't be removed once opened - hasn't been updated, so arguably it has to be a bottle you buy from them.)
Jay Winton
SubscriberSubscriber

Post #5  Postby Jay Winton » May 29th 2010, 3:43pm

Paul Marquardt wrote:
Jay Winton wrote:in DC it's restaurant option and the law says a maximum of 2 bottles at $25 per. As with many "laws" in DC, venues do not always observe the regulation so call ahead. Dean knows more about this than moi so please comment. I know unlike MD or VA you cannot legally take unfinished wine away from the restaurant but again....

Actually, there's no restriction on the number of bottles in the regulation, which I just re-read. Also, DC law has changed, and restaurants can now let you take home one opened but recorked bottle in a tamper-evident bag. (However, the corkage regulation - which says the bottles can't be removed once opened - hasn't been updated, so arguably it has to be a bottle you buy from them.)

thanks for the update [welldone.gif]
Jay Winton
SubscriberSubscriber

Post #6  Postby Jay Winton » May 29th 2010, 4:40pm

Dino- Thru June 6: Every night ~ All Night Long! Free
corkage
Victor Hong
SubscriberSubscriber

Post #7  Postby Victor Hong » May 30th 2010, 1:29pm

Tabard Inn Hotel is great.
WineHunter. "Gratefulness is good."
Cole Kendall

Post #8  Postby Cole Kendall » May 30th 2010, 7:10pm

Cafe' du Parc has corkage early in the week; dined there recently and the new chef was quite enthusiastic about people bringing wine. Stemware is weak but may improve...
Faryan Amir-Ghassem¡

Post #9  Postby Faryan Amir-Ghassem¡ » June 14th 2010, 11:55am

I find most places in DC very accomodating. Lately, many of us DC drinkers have been doing dinners at Urbana at the Palomar because we have gotten either 0 corkage or a flat nominal charge (I think it was $75) for as many bottles as we'd like when we took the private dining room in the back on an early weekday.

I have to post that one of my favorite restaurants, Corduroy, is very strict about corkage and allow 1 btl @ $30. They were rather curt about it to a fellow dc wino on his anniversary...Quite a shame as I'd love to organize dinners there.
If you want to try to outperform
Greg Ossi

Post #10  Postby Greg Ossi » June 14th 2010, 4:04pm

Faryan Amir-Ghassem¡ wrote:I find most places in DC very accomodating. Lately, many of us DC drinkers have been doing dinners at Urbana at the Palomar because we have gotten either 0 corkage or a flat nominal charge (I think it was $75) for as many bottles as we'd like when we took the private dining room in the back on an early weekday.

I have to post that one of my favorite restaurants, Corduroy, is very strict about corkage and allow 1 btl @ $30. They were rather curt about it to a fellow dc wino on his anniversary...Quite a shame as I'd love to organize dinners there.

Not surprised - there was an offline there a few years ago that did not end well as I recall.
Steven Heydemann

Post #11  Postby Steven Heydemann » June 14th 2010, 6:56pm

Greg Ossi wrote:
Faryan Amir-Ghassem¡ wrote:I find most places in DC very accomodating. Lately, many of us DC drinkers have been doing dinners at Urbana at the Palomar because we have gotten either 0 corkage or a flat nominal charge (I think it was $75) for as many bottles as we'd like when we took the private dining room in the back on an early weekday.

Not surprised - there was an offline there a few years ago that did not end well as I recall.

Bad news. I haven't eaten there since it moved to the new location, but in the old one, it was not a problem to bring a couple of bottles. I ate there once with a fellow wine geek, brought 2 bottles, and got fabulous service, great stemware, and interest from the wait staff in the wines. Sorry to hear things have changed.
larry schaffer

Post #12  Postby larry schaffer » June 16th 2010, 6:30am

Dean Gold was very accomodating to our group last week with waiving corkage fees at Dinos.

And there's always Mark's Duck House - very nice stems for a Chinese restaurant and with the prices of the food as reasonable as they are, it doesn't seem too bad to pay the minimal corkage per bottle.

Cheers!
larry schaffer
tercero wines
tim orourke

Post #13  Postby tim orourke » August 13th 2010, 11:19am

I just put this together >>

http://www.weygandtwines.com/dc-restaur ... e-list.htm

Anybody with any new info, let me know
ITB - Weygandt Wines
Yule Kim

Post #14  Postby Yule Kim » August 15th 2010, 10:04am

I went to Siroc last year and they charged $20 for corkage. I'm assuming that it is still the policy.
Barry L i p t o n
SubscriberSubscriber

Post #15  Postby Barry L i p t o n » October 30th 2010, 7:13pm

Anyone know if Kinkaid's is flexible on bringing a third bottle? They say two bottle limit (I left a message with asst manager but no callback yet)

Diitto re: Marcel's.
scott c l a f f e e
SubscriberSubscriber

Post #16  Postby scott c l a f f e e » November 4th 2010, 3:24pm

I took a bottle with me to Fogo de Chao last weekend and paid $25 corkage, but it was worth it because their wine list sucks. I'm taking three bottles with me tonight and I'll let you know if they make a fuss. What? I'm on the Atkins diet and Fogo is paradise! [training.gif]

Edited to add: Apparently no limit on bottles -- they opened all 3 and charged $25/per.
Last edited by scott c l a f f e e on November 5th 2010, 9:15am, edited 1 time in total.
"By serving the best, never the most, a host compliments both himself and guest, and compensates with additional enjoyment what he wisely limits in number of drinks."
-Julian P. ("Pappy") Van Winkle, Sr.

Terroirist.com
scott c l a f f e e
SubscriberSubscriber

Post #17  Postby scott c l a f f e e » November 4th 2010, 3:25pm

Plume at the Jefferson Hotel does NOT allow corkage, by the way. But their list is excellent.
"By serving the best, never the most, a host compliments both himself and guest, and compensates with additional enjoyment what he wisely limits in number of drinks."

Terroirist.com
Robert Johnston

Post #18  Postby Robert Johnston » November 15th 2010, 2:06pm

scott c l a f f e e wrote:Plume at the Jefferson Hotel does NOT allow corkage, by the way. But their list is excellent.

And expensive.
Robert Johnston

Post #19  Postby Robert Johnston » November 15th 2010, 2:09pm

Anybody heard what Roberto Donna is asking at Galileo III? It used to be that their policy was "$15, bring whatever you want."
scott c l a f f e e
SubscriberSubscriber

Post #20  Postby scott c l a f f e e » November 22nd 2010, 1:46pm

Can we also formulate a list of places that will accomodate a group that wants to do a wine tasting type of event with multiple bottles and perhaps only ordering apps/charcuterie and the like, as opposed to a corkage for a bottle or two at dinner (or a more extensive, formal private dinner)? I think this would be useful information for the people on this board.

Terroirist.com
Mike Heyse
ContributorContributor

Post #21  Postby Mike Heyse » November 22nd 2010, 1:56pm

Coppi's on U St. - no limit; $20 per bottle. Agora on 17th opened two bottles for us for free, but we sent some to the back, too, so that's probably why.

Also, Charlie Palmer's (near Union Station) has free corkage on Mondays for any wine; free corkage any day for any two American wines.
tim orourke

Post #22  Postby tim orourke » November 22nd 2010, 2:12pm

scott c l a f f e e wrote:Can we also formulate a list of places that will accomodate a group that wants to do a wine tasting type of event with multiple bottles and perhaps only ordering apps/charcuterie and the like, as opposed to a corkage for a bottle or two at dinner (or a more extensive, formal private dinner)? I think this would be useful information for the people on this board.

Urbana on Monday nights--no corkage and private room--not sure if you need to be Tooch to take advantage of this.
Ardeo early in the week--no corkage and very accomodating (to Weygandt Wines at least)--I think their normal policy is $25/btl
Dino M-W (I think)--no corkage, some privacy if a big enough group
Le Chat Noir--Sundays no corkage
Firefly Mondays (I think)--no corkage
ITB - Weygandt Wines
scott c l a f f e e
SubscriberSubscriber

Post #23  Postby scott c l a f f e e » November 22nd 2010, 2:35pm

tim orourke wrote:
scott c l a f f e e wrote:Can we also formulate a list of places that will accomodate a group that wants to do a wine tasting type of event with multiple bottles and perhaps only ordering apps/charcuterie and the like, as opposed to a corkage for a bottle or two at dinner (or a more extensive, formal private dinner)? I think this would be useful information for the people on this board.

Urbana on Monday nights--no corkage and private room--not sure if you need to be Tooch to take advantage of this.
Ardeo early in the week--no corkage and very accomodating (to Weygandt Wines at least)--I think their normal policy is $25/btl

Hey Tim,

This is all good info. I guess I should clarify, though, that I'm less interested in places that offer no corkage -- more interested in places that might charge a fee per bottle, but not throw a fit if we only order some cheese and meat plates as opposed to entrees and a bunch of sides. Essentially, who's willing to allow you to host a casual wine tasting in their restaurant when your living room isn't available?

Cheers,
Scott

Terroirist.com
tim orourke

Post #24  Postby tim orourke » November 22nd 2010, 2:39pm

scott c l a f f e e wrote:
tim orourke wrote:

Hey Tim,

This is all good info. I guess I should clarify, though, that I'm less interested in places that offer no corkage -- more interested in places that might charge a fee per bottle, but not throw a fit if we only order some cheese and meat plates as opposed to entrees and a bunch of sides. Essentially, who's willing to allow you to host a casual wine tasting in their restaurant when your living room isn't available?

Cheers,
Scott

I personally don't know any restaurants that would be especially happy to do this. Doesn't mean they won't, I just don't know of any...
ITB - Weygandt Wines
Matt Latuchie
SubscriberSubscriber
Tooch

Post #25  Postby Matt Latuchie » January 30th 2011, 3:28pm

Does anyone know if there are any Thai restaurants in DC that offer $0 corkage? Just checked with Regent and it's $20-$25/bottle there.
Blake J o h n s o n

Post #26  Postby Blake J o h n s o n » January 31st 2011, 2:12pm

only thought would be Ba Bay. new place on Cap Hill - nothing about corkage on the website.

http://www.babaydc.com
tim orourke

Post #27  Postby tim orourke » January 31st 2011, 2:15pm

Matt Latuchie wrote:Does anyone know if there are any Thai restaurants in DC that offer $0 corkage? Just checked with Regent and it's $20-$25/bottle there.

We've got a Riesling dinner in the works for my friend's Korean restaurant--Mandu in Dupont. What were you trying to get together?
ITB - Weygandt Wines
Matt Latuchie
SubscriberSubscriber
Tooch

Post #28  Postby Matt Latuchie » January 31st 2011, 2:24pm

tim orourke wrote:
Matt Latuchie wrote:Does anyone know if there are any Thai restaurants in DC that offer $0 corkage? Just checked with Regent and it's $20-$25/bottle there.

We've got a Riesling dinner in the works for my friend's Korean restaurant--Mandu in Dupont. What were you trying to get together?

riesling and thai - how does it pair with korean?
tim orourke

Post #29  Postby tim orourke » January 31st 2011, 2:29pm

Matt Latuchie wrote:
tim orourke wrote:

Just as well. We went to Korea a couple of years ago with the family that owns/runs the place so we can do quite well there. There's a private room upstairs that can fit up to 25 pp. Corkage will be waived. My guess is that we'll agree on a price per person and do the whole thing family style. I think we can probably do $50/person, tax and tip included, but I'll have to check. I'll send something out via the "other" forum.
ITB - Weygandt Wines
Matt Latuchie
SubscriberSubscriber
Tooch

Post #30  Postby Matt Latuchie » January 31st 2011, 2:30pm

tim orourke wrote:
Matt Latuchie wrote:
tim orourke wrote:

Just as well. We went to Korea a couple of years ago with the family that owns/runs the place so we can do quite well there. There's a private room upstairs that can fit up to 25 pp. Corkage will be waived. My guess is that we'll agree on a price per person and do the whole thing family style. I think we can probably do $50/person, tax and tip included, but I'll have to check. I'll send something out via the "other" forum.

[welldone.gif]
Paul Marquardt
SubscriberSubscriber

Post #31  Postby Paul Marquardt » January 31st 2011, 2:50pm

tim orourke wrote:
Matt Latuchie wrote:
tim orourke wrote:

We stopped in on a whim a few weeks ago and were favorably impressed. Good food, super-nice people.
tim orourke

Post #32  Postby tim orourke » January 31st 2011, 3:17pm

Paul Marquardt wrote:We stopped in on a whim a few weeks ago and were favorably impressed. Good food, super-nice people.

I agree! But I guess I'm a little biased. Most people I've talked to also seem to agree. It is funny though, of the criticisms they get, it's often they aren't "authentic" enough. When we were in Seoul, the food that we were served in people's houses (or condos mostly), was pretty much what you'll find at Mandu. Not out at the restaurants, but traditional homestyle Korean food from the home. I think that qualifies it as pretty authentic. But again, I may not be the most objective guy to speak about this...
ITB - Weygandt Wines
scott c l a f f e e
SubscriberSubscriber

Post #33  Postby scott c l a f f e e » January 31st 2011, 6:31pm

tim orourke wrote:I'll send something out via the "other" forum.

What's this "other" forum stuff?! [berserker.gif]

Terroirist.com
tim orourke

Post #34  Postby tim orourke » March 24th 2011, 8:21am

List has been updated. If you know of anymore, let me know!

ITB - Weygandt Wines
Matt Latuchie
SubscriberSubscriber
Tooch

Post #35  Postby Matt Latuchie » March 24th 2011, 8:23am

tim orourke wrote:List has been updated. If you know of anymore, let me know!

i think charlie palmers is now free corkage on any bottle...regardless of origin.

Return to BYO Forum - Wine at Restaurants