Traveling to Burgundy

I’m driving the wine route in France this summer [cheers.gif] starting in Burgundy and down to Northern Rhone down to Provence. I’m just wondering what advice you have for what to do in Beaune and what Burgundy Tours to do or just go on my own and visit villages and vineyards. Thanks for any info.

Welcome Chris,

Try the search function for a wealth of info.

Good luck and have fun on your trip!

Thanks Henri, Just wondering if I should try emailing some of my favorite producers to visit or go on one of the many tours. If anyone has any suggestions. Thanks

E-mail or even call your favorite producers. That is what we have done. Of course it helps if your favorite producers are not DRC and Roumier.

Welcome to the board, Chris, and hope you’re enjoying it so far. I’d agree with emailing some favourite producers, though summer may be a difficult time as they prepare for harvest. The bigger houses like Bouchard, Jadot, Remoissenet will often be able to make time. Others, if you know anyone who knows someone…

Best of luck and enjoy.

Thanks for the help. I’ve been surprised to find that not too many places are open for visits. I tried Dujac, Leroy and Guigal in N. Rhone and they are all to busy. Kinda disapointed. But I found some other smaller Cote Rotie that I was able to make appointments with and I’m thinking I will try and get off the beaten path in Burgundy and see if I can get into some smaller producers.

I’m enjoying so far this wine geek outlet,

Thanks

All three producers you quote are exactly the kind of producers Howard was thinking about when he mentioned “DRC and Roumier”. I’m surprised you didn’t try Leflaive and Rousseau too :wink: Usually to get a visit at these producers you need a bit of help from some of your contacts/connections, be it in the three-tier system at home, well-connected friends in France and so on. I’ve never managed to go and taste at Leflaive or DRC so far, for example.

Hi Chris,

Why not PM Ray Walker? He is now a rock star, but a great guy with a lovely family. I had a visit there 2 yrs. ago, and it was welcoming, friendly, and very informative. He makes good wine, too.

Not exactly shocking.

Chris, when are you going? I would not recommend August (when they are away on vacation) or September and October (harvest).

Try Rossignol-Trapet http://www.rossignol-trapet.com/english/contact/visits.htm and Chandon des Briailles Accueil - Chandon de Briailles, Vins de Bourgogne

Also, follow Henry’s advice and use the search function. A whole lot of people have been to Burgundy. See where they have had luck finding producers.

If you want a tour guide, contact Celine Viany. http://www.degustation-levinalabouche.com/

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I have used the search function not too many people talking about wine tours or visiting producers. I will be there on July 3rd my 40th birthday so should be pretty exciting. I’m taking a tour with authentica tours. Then down to Ampuis and tasting Cote Roties at Clusel-Roch and Domaine Levet and then down to Avignon and Provence for more wine tasting.

Thanks for the pm
Now is a busy time for most here in Burgundy.We are doing a fourth of July in Burgundy and BBQ thing. But, the fifth is free if you’d like. Off the beaten path? We can hop in the truck and hit some vineyards if you’d like.

Speak soon

(fixed)

Thanks, Henry. Glad you enjoyed your visit to our one-car garage and cave. [cheers.gif]

Another good one is Diana Williams. She is Alex Gambal’s wife and organizes small tours all the time. She has pretty good access too.

http://www.thehiddenfrance.com/custom_vacations_wine_regions_france/sample-trips.html

Thanks Ray for getting back to me, that would be great to visit and get in the truck and visit some other places with you. I’ll call you to work out the details for July 5th.

Thanks everyone for helping me out.

You must not have looked too hard. Here are a few. I bet there are hundreds.

Thanks Howard for the threads, I’m looking forward to my first visit to Burgundy today. Cheers!