Sierra Carche - Jay Miller - and the latest black eye

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
Matthew Brown

Re: Sierra Carche - Jay Miller - and the latest black eye

Post #736  Postby Matthew Brown » July 23rd 2009, 11:04am

P. Davis wrote:Matthew,
This even happens with California wines. If the wines aren't ready at the time he is ready to do his review and report for that region, you are SOL. So this can encourage some winemakers to bottle wines according to Parker's schedule, not when the wines are actually ready for bottling. I think there should indeed be reviews done throughout the year, as WS does, so that this doesn't happen.

My big knock with WS is they delay many of their notes to publish in a cover article issue, sometimes 4-5 months behind the release date. Drives customers nuts when they come in waving a WS review and we sold out of the wine weeks ago; of course, when I tried to recommend it to them BEFORE the review came out and they ignored it, I feel significantly less sorry for them...

I would even be happy with in-depth, behind the scenes visits to the major regions (BDX, Burg, Pipedmont, Napa, etc.) once every other year, as long as the wines themselves get reviewed every year. A lot of extra info is easily delivered in an email or press release anyway. As long as the wines that are reaching the shelves are reviewed in a timely fashion and the logistical information is honest about what's in there, I would be happy with partial regional reviews.
David Moyes:We'll miss you

Advertisement

Daniel Posner
SubscriberSubscriber

Post #737  Postby Daniel Posner » July 23rd 2009, 11:06am

GI Jane Benjamin!
ITB

ht
Jim Brennan
SubscriberSubscriber

Post #738  Postby Jim Brennan » July 23rd 2009, 11:07am

Humberto Dorta wrote:Shit Tex...you like Rush too?
hmmmm

Wow, maybe he's related to Buecker. neener

Actually, I was always a big fan as well, but couldn't help but take the pot shot!
William Segui

Post #739  Postby William Segui » July 23rd 2009, 11:09am

Jack Bulkin wrote:
Sean Reed wrote:Bill I was about to post that same link! Damn that is hard hitting, he is right!

I think that is Jane Benjamin a she from Palm Springs.

And she will be at Berserkerfest!!
ITB
Todd F r e n c h
Site AdminSite Admin
Head Babysitter

Post #740  Postby Todd F r e n c h » July 23rd 2009, 11:13am

J. Benjamin wrote:
Yoni Ovadia wrote:
Bill Tex Landreth wrote:Ouch, this one is gonna leave a mark:

http://dat.erobertparker.com/bboard/sho ... tcount=284

Just saw that. He laid into RMP and Jay. Will this be the impetus to have Squires close this? I'm sure we'll see more than a few rebuttals.
Yoni...dude, it's me.....your buddy Jane from OC, now Palm Springs neener

Nice work, Jane.

Apparently I'm lazy, have a narrow agenda, and offer little in the way of content and substance (RMP)
Steve Manzi
SubscriberSubscriber

Post #741  Postby Steve Manzi » July 23rd 2009, 11:37am

William Segui wrote:
Jack Bulkin wrote:
Sean Reed wrote:Bill I was about to post that same link! Damn that is hard hitting, he is right!

I think that is Jane Benjamin a she from Palm Springs.

And she will be at Berserkerfest!!

Wear your cups GUYS!! [berserker.gif]

Post #742  Postby ChrisBeacham » July 23rd 2009, 12:34pm

"In other news...." and just to shift away from the "Jane lovefest" (that was a superlative post BTW):

Hey Chris,

I unfortunately don't have the bottle number. Wish I did. I can only say that the bottle I drank was very good. Clearly had no issues.

-Winecentric

I invited him to stop on by.
Check out my artblog here.

I us
ChrisBeacham

Post #743  Postby ChrisBeacham » July 23rd 2009, 12:47pm

Today's "Biggest RPM Suckup" award to goes....drum roll....

http://dat.erobertparker.com/bboard/showpost.php?p=2702695&postcount=288

I was going to call it the "His head is so far up RPM's ass that he can't breathe" award but I thought I'd offend readers. Just so you know I'm not like that.
Check out my artblog here.

I us
Steve Manzi
SubscriberSubscriber

Post #744  Postby Steve Manzi » July 23rd 2009, 12:52pm

ChrisBeacham wrote:Today's "Biggest RPM Suckup" award to goes....drum roll....

I was going to call it the "His head is so far up RPM's ass that he can't breathe" award but I thought I'd offend readers. Just so you know I'm not like that.

He says: "To suggest that Parker would take on a critic to represent TWA as one of his surrogates who does not meet or exceed his personal standards and expectations is quite unfair, and certainly does not represent the reality Parker has demonstrated for over three decades."

Maybe someone should ask him: "What about the last few months?

Post #745  Postby Daniel Posner » July 23rd 2009, 1:15pm

That quote is typical of most people that assume Parker abides by his own policies and procedures. Ask that guy if he is aware that Parker no longer tastes blind, no longer buys samples, etc etc etc and find out if he is still a believer in the myth that is.
ITB

ht
Jack Bulkin

Post #746  Postby Jack Bulkin » July 23rd 2009, 1:19pm

ChrisBeacham wrote:Today's "Biggest RPM Suckup" award to goes....drum roll....

Thank you Chris for saving me the effort of offending. [thumbs-up.gif]
An article in the “Journal of Ps
Cris Whetstone
SubscriberSubscriber

Post #747  Postby Cris Whetstone » July 23rd 2009, 1:36pm

J. Benjamin wrote:
Yoni Ovadia wrote:
Bill Tex Landreth wrote:Ouch, this one is gonna leave a mark:

http://dat.erobertparker.com/bboard/sho ... tcount=284

Just saw that. He laid into RMP and Jay. Will this be the impetus to have Squires close this? I'm sure we'll see more than a few rebuttals.
Yoni...dude, it's me.....your buddy Jane from OC, now Palm Springs neener

Man.....you know this is a big deal when you've stirred this lurker into taking some swings. Nice going Jane.
[good.gif] [berserker.gif]
WetRock

"Man prefers to believe what he prefers to be true." - Francis Bacon

"I had taken two finger-bowls of champagne and the scene had changed before my eyes into something significant, elemental, and profound." - F. Scott Fitzgerald, The Great Gatsby
Chuck Miller
SubscriberSubscriber

Post #748  Postby Chuck Miller » July 23rd 2009, 2:10pm

I know this has been mentioned in the past in articles, and probably by other posters. Here's JM's preferred methodology at tastings, as witnessed personally when he was tasting in my lounge at Seattle Wine Storage a few months ago: Not blind, not peer group. He asks to taste by producer, and in this case, when the samples were lined up by the WA Wine Commission folks (who solicited the samples being sent in by the wineries to taste), he did them alphabetically. In other words, one winery might have anywhere from a couple to maybe a half-dozen or more wines submitted. He would then taste whites and reds (in many cases), then go on to the next winery and taste their whtes then reds. He could have a producer flight that ranged from a riesling to a sauv blanc to a chard, then pinot noir, merlot, cab sauv and syrah.

Personally, I found this process to be pretty idiotic, and totally at odds with the professed "when possible, blind and in peer groups" stated method. The WA Wine Commission could have easily put all the cabs together blind, etc., but that's not what JM requested.

On the other hand, he did taste alone without importers/distributors/wineries present, and he did work hard at tasting while he was there, 8 hours a day with limited breaks (not that that doesn't present it's own set of issues).
Chuck Miller
Seattle Wine Storage
Daniel Posner
SubscriberSubscriber

Post #749  Postby Daniel Posner » July 23rd 2009, 2:23pm

Can we refer to Jay Miller as JSM. We should not confuse with James Molesworth.

Chuck,

When interviewed for Wines of Chile, JSM confirmed this as his tasting methodology.
ITB

ht
José F. Rodríguez

Post #750  Postby José F. Rodríguez » July 23rd 2009, 2:28pm

Chuck:

Do you recall the total amount of wines Miller tasted? How many days he took?

Thanks in advance,
José
James Koch

Post #751  Postby James Koch » July 23rd 2009, 2:50pm

Chuck Miller wrote:Personally, I found this process to be pretty idiotic, and totally at odds with the professed "when possible, blind and in peer groups" stated method. The WA Wine Commission could have easily put all the cabs together blind, etc., but that's not what JM requested. On the other hand, he did taste alone without importers/distributors/wineries present, and he did work hard at tasting while he was there, 8 hours a day with limited breaks (not that that doesn't present it's own set of issues).

Nothing unusual about that! When you travel from winery to winery to taste you use EXACTLY the same approach. How else would you be able to establish a 'house style', 'quality pattern or lack of it', and many other factors ABOUT a producer? Any true wine professional can jump from red to white to dry to sweet and back. Sorry, that's what sets 'wine drinkers' apart from 'wine professionals'. Of course, not everyone in this business is capable of doing this. But, yes, many have learned this by tasting wines this way over decades. If you line up all Chardonnays, Cabernets, etc. you are 'comparing' wines to find 'a winner'. Professional wine writers are not tasting wines to find a 'best of show' - that's done at "state fairs" and has nothing to do with reviewing wines or a producer's portfolio.
Daniel Posner
SubscriberSubscriber

Post #752  Postby Daniel Posner » July 23rd 2009, 3:01pm

James Koch wrote:
Chuck Miller wrote:Personally, I found this process to be pretty idiotic, and totally at odds with the professed "when possible, blind and in peer groups" stated method. The WA Wine Commission could have easily put all the cabs together blind, etc., but that's not what JM requested. On the other hand, he did taste alone without importers/distributors/wineries present, and he did work hard at tasting while he was there, 8 hours a day with limited breaks (not that that doesn't present it's own set of issues).

Nothing unusual about that! When you travel from winery to winery to taste you use EXACTLY the same approach. How else would you be able to establish a 'house style', 'quality pattern or lack of it', and many other factors ABOUT a producer? Any true wine professional can jump from red to white to dry to sweet and back. Sorry, that's what sets 'wine drinkers' apart from 'wine professionals'. Of course, not everyone in this business is capable of doing this. But, yes, many have learned this by tasting wines this way over decades. If you line up all Chardonnays, Cabernets, etc. you are 'comparing' wines to find 'a winner'. Professional wine writers are not tasting wines to find a 'best of show' - that's done at "state fairs" and has nothing to do with reviewing wines or a producer's portfolio.

James

This is just silly.

When you visit a winery, you also get back into your car, regroup your thoughts and have a sip of water. Then, after 15 minutes, at a minimum (walking to car, get incar, drive to next winery, get out, do the meet and greet)...you taste again...15 minutes is probably more like 45 minutes.

Is Jay Miller tasting 200 wines per day at wineries he is visiting? Hardly.

It is humanly impossible to recalibrate your taste buds like that. But when you spend just 30 seconds with a wine and take down zero meaningful tasting notes, what difference does it make, right?
ITB

ht
James Koch

Post #753  Postby James Koch » July 23rd 2009, 3:16pm

Daniel Posner wrote:
James Koch wrote:

James

This is just silly.

When you visit a winery, you also get back into your car, regroup your thoughts and have a sip of water. Then, after 15 minutes, at a minimum (walking to car, get incar, drive to next winery, get out, do the meet and greet)...you taste again...15 minutes is probably more like 45 minutes.

Is Jay Miller tasting 200 wines per day at wineries he is visiting? Hardly.

It is humanly impossible to recalibrate your taste buds like that. But when you spend just 30 seconds with a wine and take down zero meaningful tasting notes, what difference does it make, right?

I guess we disagree. There's no other way to discover the 'wine style' of a producer. Do you really believe that TRUE wine professionals visiting wine shows, such as VinExpo or Vinitaly drink only "Vermentinos" on day one and "Passitos" on day two. Nonsense. We easily taste 200 wines per day at Vinitaly and I can guarantee you that I can still find those wines that would never make it into our portfolio.
Daniel Posner
SubscriberSubscriber

Post #754  Postby Daniel Posner » July 23rd 2009, 3:22pm

James

Do you believe that wine trade shows is the best way to taste the wines?

I have been to VinItaly, and numerous trade shows here in NY. I have also tasted at the UGC tastings in Bordeaux a few times. I even tasted about 80 wines with Nicolas Potel in his cellars once.

To taste Riesling, SB, PN, Merlot, Cab, Syrah, rinse and repeat and do that with 50 different producers in an 8 hour period and cover 200 wines is a disservice to

1) Yourself as a taster
2) Your paying subscribers
3) The Wine World

No good comes out of tasting that way. You get to know the winemaker's style? Really? in 2 minutes? Tasting 6 wines?
ITB

ht
Cris Whetstone
SubscriberSubscriber

Post #755  Postby Cris Whetstone » July 23rd 2009, 3:30pm

I think there is a distinction to be made between tasting a lot of wines and deciding on purchasing or not and scoring and writing full tasting notes in that environment. Scores and full tasting notes from one or two ounce sips done rapidly are are silly IMNSHO and that's before I get to how silly scores are but that's another thread.
WetRock

"Man prefers to believe what he prefers to be true." - Francis Bacon

"I had taken two finger-bowls of champagne and the scene had changed before my eyes into something significant, elemental, and profound." - F. Scott Fitzgerald, The Great Gatsby
Chuck Miller
SubscriberSubscriber

Post #756  Postby Chuck Miller » July 23rd 2009, 3:55pm

José F. Rodríguez wrote:Chuck:

Do you recall the total amount of wines Miller tasted? How many days he took?

Thanks in advance,
José

Jose, he was here (at SWS) for two days as part of an approximately week long visit to the state. He also spent a couple days in Walla Walla, where there enough wineries in a relatively small area to justify the time to get there. I don't know how many wines were tasted, but he tasted somewhat slowly for the number of wines to be tasted. Again, he tasted alphabetically, and after Day One I think he was only to wineries starting with 'E', but it might have been 'G'. Nonetheless, at the rate he was going, he could not get thru the wines that were to be tried, and I believe that the remaining wines were to be shipped to him for additional tastings at a future date. I would guess from the number of opened btls that were taken from here that he tasted well over 150 wines in the 2 days, could have been many more. I wasn't paying very close attention.
Chuck Miller
Seattle Wine Storage
James Sanders

Post #757  Postby James Sanders » July 23rd 2009, 4:36pm

Chuck Miller wrote:I know this has been mentioned in the past in articles, and probably by other posters. Here's JM's preferred methodology at tastings, as witnessed personally when he was tasting in my lounge at Seattle Wine Storage a few months ago: Not blind, not peer group. He asks to taste by producer, and in this case, when the samples were lined up by the WA Wine Commission folks (who solicited the samples being sent in by the wineries to taste), he did them alphabetically. In other words, one winery might have anywhere from a couple to maybe a half-dozen or more wines submitted. He would then taste whites and reds (in many cases), then go on to the next winery and taste their whtes then reds. He could have a producer flight that ranged from a riesling to a sauv blanc to a chard, then pinot noir, merlot, cab sauv and syrah.

Personally, I found this process to be pretty idiotic, and totally at odds with the professed "when possible, blind and in peer groups" stated method. The WA Wine Commission could have easily put all the cabs together blind, etc., but that's not what JM requested.

On the other hand, he did taste alone without importers/distributors/wineries present, and he did work hard at tasting while he was there, 8 hours a day with limited breaks (not that that doesn't present it's own set of issues).

I don't care how "gifted" your palate, if this is how wine is tasted for review, you might as well throw darts at a board. And that's true no matter how the order is shuffled. Not that I expect much different from any other "professional" reviewer.

Give me a dozen enthusiastic amateurs reporting their impressions from real life conditions over the pros any day. Or in other words, Cellartracker.
Todd F r e n c h
Site AdminSite Admin
Head Babysitter

Post #758  Postby Todd F r e n c h » July 23rd 2009, 4:40pm

James Sanders wrote:Give me a dozen enthusiastic amateurs reporting their impressions from real life conditions over the pros any day. Or in other words, Cellartracker.

And WineBerserkers!
Apparently I'm lazy, have a narrow agenda, and offer little in the way of content and substance (RMP)
Daniel Posner
SubscriberSubscriber

Post #759  Postby Daniel Posner » July 23rd 2009, 7:13pm

Yeah, Wineberserkers! flirtysmile
ITB

ht
José F. Rodríguez

Post #760  Postby José F. Rodríguez » July 23rd 2009, 8:51pm

This saga continues. The latest twist is that A. Kohn's bottle is 20,081 of 21,000.

http://dat.erobertparker.com/bboard/sho ... ost2703048

This does not look well at all.

In the meantime, Parker's ultimatum of a satisfactory explanation from the importer fell into deaf ears. Talk about taking it to the next level!

José
Last edited by José F. Rodríguez on July 23rd 2009, 9:16pm, edited 1 time in total.
Daniel Posner
SubscriberSubscriber

Post #761  Postby Daniel Posner » July 23rd 2009, 8:56pm

The magical third lot that the "winemaker" presented here...wow!

Maybe Robert Parker granted Well Oiled Wine Co an extension to come up with a better story?
ITB

ht
Jeff Cassetta
SubscriberSubscriber

Post #762  Postby Jeff Cassetta » July 23rd 2009, 9:00pm

José F. Rodríguez wrote:This saga continues. The latest twist is that A. Kohn's bottle is 20,081 of 20,000.

In the meantime, Parker's ultimatum of a satisfactory explanation from the importer fell into deaf ears. Talk about taking it to the next level!

José

He posted that it was of 21,000. This was of the supposedly "last" batch that was only supposed to be 3,600 bottles. My money is on each batch having its own set of #'s and that there were 61,000 produced...at least.

Has anyone posted that they had some good juice that wasn't a sample?
José F. Rodríguez

Post #763  Postby José F. Rodríguez » July 23rd 2009, 9:14pm

Jeff Cassetta wrote:
José F. Rodríguez wrote:This saga continues. The latest twist is that A. Kohn's bottle is 20,081 of 20,000.

José

He posted that it was of 21,000. This was of the supposedly "last" batch that was only supposed to be 3,600 bottles. My money is on each batch having its own set of #'s and that there were 61,000 produced...at least.

Jeff:

According to the winemaker, there was another 3,600 bottles besides the original 20,000 bottle run sent to the US. After the success from the WA score, they sent 1050 bottles from that 3,600 lot to the US.

If the math is right that tallies for a 21,050 bottle run for the US, which does not agree with the 20,000 bottle production stated on Well Oiled Wine Co website or the 16,000 bottle run stated on a label from their website.

Any way I look at this it smells like a rat.

SALUDos,
José
José F. Rodríguez

Post #764  Postby José F. Rodríguez » July 23rd 2009, 9:19pm

Jeff Cassetta wrote:

José

Jeff:

I edited my post to reflect 21,000 instead of 20,000 bottles.

SALUDos,
José
WKChoy

Post #765  Postby WKChoy » July 23rd 2009, 11:17pm

Quite interesting that 90+% of production went to the US. Check Wine-Searcher, nothing listed outside North America.
bvm winemaker

Post #766  Postby bvm winemaker » July 24th 2009, 3:40am

With the sole intention of informing customers regarding the progress of our investigations regarding what may have occurred to Sierra Carche 2005, we can add to our communication of 21st July:

1. We have detected an error in the management of our warehouse and order dispatch which shows that when taking unlabelled wine from the section where our Reserva and special selection wines age in bottle, which resulted in a mistake being made with the dispatch of 2400 bottles which relates to lot code 7033 which was not Sierra Carche but rather a special selection of the winery. We have immediately put in procedures in our operating system to ensure that such a mistake could not reoccur.
The wine we erroneously shipped as lot 7033 of Sierra Carche was very well received, it was not the wine which Mr. Jay Miller pronounced “undrinkable” nor has it been the subject of customer complaints
2. We have sent to a prestigious and well known Barcelona laboratory samples from all three lots ( 7033, 8113 and 8114 ). This laboratory is reputed for its extreme rigor and reliability. This laboratory will carry out microbiological tests paying special attention to the detection of bacterial moulds and yeasts, lactic and acetic bacteria, free SO2 and volatile acidity. As soon as we know the results, we will publish them without delay. We are of the opinion that they are technically correct but that personal and ratings evaluations are a subjective matter.

3. We still today have not received samples from consumers which are considered defective by consumers which we wish to have similarly analyzed as well as organaleptically.

4. Finally we wish to reiterate our deep concern and to apologize for this error whose damage is most significant for the small organization of growers and winemakers that we are but we do accept total responsibility for the matter and accept returns. Correspondence regarding such should be made to : screturns2005@yahoo.com
Paul Jaouen
SubscriberSubscriber

Post #767  Postby Paul Jaouen » July 24th 2009, 5:23am

Interesting that another error occurred which has nothing to do with the problem. I'm amazed that a wine could be incorrectly labeled and shipped. If anything, at least that helps strengthen your procedures going forward.
Best,
Paul Jaouen
Ted Erfer
SubscriberSubscriber

Post #768  Postby Ted Erfer » July 24th 2009, 5:38am

bvm winemaker wrote:With the sole intention of informing customers regarding the progress of our investigations regarding what may have occurred to Sierra Carche 2005, we can add to our communication of 21st July:

1. We have detected an error in the management of our warehouse and order dispatch which shows that when taking unlabelled wine from the section where our Reserva and special selection wines age in bottle, which resulted in a mistake being made with the dispatch of 2400 bottles which relates to lot code 7033 which was not Sierra Carche but rather a special selection of the winery. We have immediately put in procedures in our operating system to ensure that such a mistake could not reoccur.
The wine we erroneously shipped as lot 7033 of Sierra Carche was very well received, it was not the wine which Mr. Jay Miller pronounced “undrinkable” nor has it been the subject of customer complaints
2. We have sent to a prestigious and well known Barcelona laboratory samples from all three lots ( 7033, 8113 and 8114 ). This laboratory is reputed for its extreme rigor and reliability. This laboratory will carry out microbiological tests paying special attention to the detection of bacterial moulds and yeasts, lactic and acetic bacteria, free SO2 and volatile acidity. As soon as we know the results, we will publish them without delay. We are of the opinion that they are technically correct but that personal and ratings evaluations are a subjective matter.

3. We still today have not received samples from consumers which are considered defective by consumers which we wish to have similarly analyzed as well as organaleptically.

4. Finally we wish to reiterate our deep concern and to apologize for this error whose damage is most significant for the small organization of growers and winemakers that we are but we do accept total responsibility for the matter and accept returns. Correspondence regarding such should be made to : screturns2005@yahoo.com

Same post on another forum with this author posted at 7:16am

marcial martinez cruz

José F. Rodríguez

Post #769  Postby José F. Rodríguez » July 24th 2009, 5:59am

Ted Erfer wrote:
Same post on another forum with this author posted at 7:16am

marcial martinez cruz

Ted:

Marcial is the winemaker for Casa de la Ermita, were Sierra Carche is made. It is the same person as bvm winemaker (Bodegas y Viñedos Murcia).

It appears that his job description duties have increased in recent days since he is also doing damage control for Well Oiled Wine Company.

SALUDos,
José
John Morris
SubscriberSubscriber

Post #770  Postby John Morris » July 24th 2009, 6:05am

Cris Whetstone wrote:I think there is a distinction to be made between tasting a lot of wines and deciding on purchasing or not and scoring and writing full tasting notes in that environment. Scores and full tasting notes from one or two ounce sips done rapidly are are silly IMNSHO and that's before I get to how silly scores are but that's another thread.

Indeed! A retailer who tastes that way is taking the risk of being stuck with bad wines. But when a critic tastes that way, it's the readers/consumers who pay the price.
"We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true." -- variously attributed and constantly corroborated

Return to Wine Talk