RUDY KURNIAWAN & GLOBAL WINE AUCTION FRAUD THREAD (MERGED)

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
Stuart BeauneHead Niemtzow

Re: URGENT WARNING--RUDY KURNIAWAN IS TRYING TO AUCTION MORE WINES

Post #36  Postby Stuart BeauneHead Niemtzow » February 4th 2012, 3:20pm

Where is Rudy now, anyway?

Guy Accad got treated worse, it seems. He disappeared.

Rudy seemed to have tons of friends in his heyday....do any of them keep in touch? Some people who post here and have some publications, as I remember.

Advertisement

SteveC

Post #37  Postby SteveC » February 4th 2012, 4:37pm

Thanks for the PSA Don. This explains why I am so reluctant to buy wines at auction.
Ste ve C o yl e
""Too
Mark Golodetz
(Online)

Post #38  Postby Mark Golodetz » February 4th 2012, 5:01pm

SteveC wrote:Thanks for the PSA Don. This explains why I am so reluctant to buy wines at auction.

Dealers bought many of Rudy's wines and offered them out for resale. Unfortunately many are still out there, and the provenance that they came originally from Rudy has disappeared.
ITB
Berry Crawford

Post #39  Postby Berry Crawford » February 4th 2012, 5:01pm

Stuart BeauneHead Niemtzow wrote:Some people who post here and have some publications, as I remember.

What do you mean?
SteveC

Post #40  Postby SteveC » February 4th 2012, 5:13pm

Mark Golodetz wrote:
SteveC wrote:Thanks for the PSA Don. This explains why I am so reluctant to buy wines at auction.

Dealers bought many of Rudy's wines and offered them out for resale. Unfortunately many are still out there, and the provenance that they came originally from Rudy has disappeared.

Mark, do you think these would show up at retailers (including some of the top retailers mentioned on this board?
Ste ve C o yl e
""Too
C Fu
ModeratorModerator
Domaine De La Husky

Post #41  Postby C Fu » February 4th 2012, 5:24pm

Stuart BeauneHead Niemtzow wrote:Where is Rudy now, anyway?

Rudy seemed to have tons of friends in his heyday....do any of them keep in touch? Some people who post here and have some publications, as I remember.

I just said it above, homeboy is still hanging out in LA. I just saw him on day after Christmas with an entourage of young peeps (and some older peeps for good measure ;)). He still is part owner of Wine Hotel.
Ch@rlie Fu
Philip Ente

Post #42  Postby Philip Ente » February 4th 2012, 6:57pm

Is Paul Wasserman still flying wingman for Rudy?
If not, any informatioon of Paul's whereabouts?
p. raghib

Post #43  Postby p. raghib » February 4th 2012, 8:08pm

Don Cornwell wrote: Given the large number of problems I observed on the DRC bottles, and the fact that Spectrum and Vanquish elected to proceed with the sale without disclosing that Mr. Kurniawan is the key seller in the auction, late this afternoon I demanded that Spectrum and Vanquish halt the sale of Mr. Kurniawan's wines. I have not yet received a response. BUYER BEWARE!

Don,

I apologize in advance, I only know you from your posts on wine boards and your white burgundy wiki...but I'm curious why do you think that you could "demand that Spectrum and Vanquish halt the sale of Mr. Kurniawan's wines"??? Why do you think they'd even respond to you at all-let alone in writing??-they would have no upside to do so.

I don't know enough about Rudy's history, I do recall the Acker situation. I also recall reading that Acker had been lending/providing financing to Rudy for some time so I have no idea what the legal judgement related to. I do recall thinking that any auction house that provides someone with credit can get themselves into a compromised or seemingly compromised position rather easily.

Question for you-If Bill Koch was to consign wines via a representative would you "demand" that the sale be halted? Obviously we know that Koch has bought numerous counterfeit wines but in all likelihood the % of counterfeit wines in Koch's collection are tiny.

That said I would think that anyone consigning a number of the wines shown in the catalog would be able to produce some documentation or history of how they acquired the wines.

thanks for your thoughts

-paul
cheers'

-paul r.
George Tita
SubscriberSubscriber

Post #44  Postby George Tita » February 4th 2012, 8:39pm

Philip Ente wrote:Is Paul Wasserman still flying wingman for Rudy?
If not, any informatioon of Paul's whereabouts?

Paul is no longer working at Wine Hotel. He's back in France right now, for pleasure and, I believe, to help his mother with the business as Peter has taken a hiatus to work on a film project on Burgundy.
Tanaro River Imports, LLC
Peter Kleban
SubscriberSubscriber

Post #45  Postby Peter Kleban » February 4th 2012, 8:41pm

p. raghib wrote:
Don Cornwell wrote: Given the large number of problems I observed on the DRC bottles, and the fact that Spectrum and Vanquish elected to proceed with the sale without disclosing that Mr. Kurniawan is the key seller in the auction, late this afternoon I demanded that Spectrum and Vanquish halt the sale of Mr. Kurniawan's wines. I have not yet received a response. BUYER BEWARE!

Don,

I apologize in advance, I only know you from your posts on wine boards and your white burgundy wiki...but I'm curious why do you think that you could "demand that Spectrum and Vanquish halt the sale of Mr. Kurniawan's wines"??? Why do you think they'd even respond to you at all-let alone in writing??-they would have no upside to do so.

Surely you jest. This is a large an influential board, and their reputation is being called into question.

PS I have no horse in this race.
Daniel H

Post #46  Postby Daniel H » February 4th 2012, 10:02pm

Settle down, everyone! After all, as long as they are really good fakes, is anyone really hurt?

newhere pileon neener
H.e n.n e.s s.y
Mark Golodetz
(Online)

Post #47  Postby Mark Golodetz » February 4th 2012, 10:21pm

I think it's a good idea to replace those ancient low alcohol wines with 17% Zins. I would have to drink less to get wasted.
ITB
rstark
SubscriberSubscriber

Post #48  Postby rstark » February 4th 2012, 11:08pm

I've always said that the best wine of my life was '47 Lafleur out of Magnum. Only problem was that Rudy was pouring it, so it was probably '70 Trotanoy!
The perfect match for asparagus is my competitor's wine - Michel Chapoutier

R o b i n
Don Cornwell

Post #49  Postby Don Cornwell » February 4th 2012, 11:45pm

p. raghib wrote:Don,

Question for you-If Bill Koch was to consign wines via a representative would you "demand" that the sale be halted? Obviously we know that Koch has bought numerous counterfeit wines but in all likelihood the % of counterfeit wines in Koch's collection are tiny.
-paul

Paul:

The short answer to your question is no, because Mr. Koch has no history of selling wines that turned out to be fakes. I think you really answered your own question when you said that you "don't know enough about Rudy's history." There is a well-documented history here of Rudy repeatedly selling or attempting to sell bottles which have turned out to be either counterfeit or strongly suspected to be counterfeit. it is one thing for an auction house to deal with an individual who has no history of selling wines that turn out to be counterfeit and quite another for an auction house to knowingly elect to deal with someone with Mr. Kurniawan with a history of having sold millions of dollars worth of wine which other people concluded were counterfeit or likely counterfeit without disclosing that fact to the public.

To the best of my knowledge, no one has reason to believe that Bill Koch is attempting to unload his prior purchases of counterfeit bottles into the market. To the contrary, he is suing the people that he believes were responsible for selling him the counterfeit wines in the first place, spending far money than he has hopes of realistically recovering in the litigation, and those wines will obviously be exhibits in the litigation he is pursuing.

But if there was a history of Mr Koch unloading his purchases of wines he believed to be counterfeit on others, then yes, I'd be yelling every bit as loud about Bill Koch.
Don Cornwell
Oxidized Burgs Wiki
Robert Alfert, Jr.
SubscriberSubscriber

Post #50  Postby Robert Alfert, Jr. » February 5th 2012, 7:18am

Peter Kleban wrote:
p. raghib wrote:

Don,

Surely you jest. This is a large an influential board, and their reputation is being called into question.

Agreed, but let me offer the Poster another scenario.

An auction house is placed on notice that it may be consigning fraudulent items. I do not know Don, but let's assume he is a Burgundy expert of some repute. This Burgundy expert provides some concrete examples why various bottles in the auction literature appear to be faked. He places the auction house on notice. The auction proceeds. A multi-millionaire buys the whole lot, and later finds out many are fake. He sues the auction house for fraud. Document discovery, deposition and investigation into the auction house's due diligence takes places. A smart litigator finds this website (what litigator doesn't use the web these days?) contacts Don, gets copies of the communications, asks if the auction house ever responded, etc. They then depose the key auction house representatives to dig into the due diligence, and in particular, what they did upon receiving the email/letter from the Burgundy expert. If they did nothing when they were placed on notice of potential fraud, likely the case is closed. I see these scenarios all the time in litigation. Good on Don for what he has done.

My 2 pennies.

Robert
Last edited by Robert Alfert, Jr. on February 5th 2012, 10:41am, edited 1 time in total.
La Idea Figutiva
Luis "Noa" Rodriguez
(oil, acrylic, ink) (3x4)
Mark Golodetz
(Online)

Post #51  Postby Mark Golodetz » February 5th 2012, 7:44am

Robert,

That is a very tight scenario, and given the fact as stated, the auction house would be at fault. However, they have contested one major assertion, and stated categorically that Rudy did not consign the wines; and in the phone conversation they have not found any relationship between Rudy and the actual consignor; how hard they looked would be an interesting question.

There has been very little time between Don's first e mail, and Spectrum categorically being able to say that the wines did not come from Rudy. Hard to prove a negative, but had I been Jason Boland, I would probably have said that Rudy was not the consignor, but we would look into that particular consignment, and get back to you in a timely manner.
ITB
Berry Crawford

Post #52  Postby Berry Crawford » February 5th 2012, 8:09am

Mark Golodetz wrote:they have contested one major assertion, and stated categorically that Rudy did not consign the wines; and in the phone conversation they have not found any relationship between Rudy and the actual consignor; how hard they looked would be an interesting question

Except that an employee there admited already that these were Rudy wines.

I'm no legal expert but if I was on a jury and presented this information and there were no other major revelations then I would not look favorably on the auction house.
Hank Gillespie
SubscriberSubscriber

Post #53  Postby Hank Gillespie » February 5th 2012, 8:22am

Stuart BeauneHead Niemtzow wrote:Where is Rudy now, anyway?

[rofl.gif] Perhaps the "vanquished" are in hiding somewhere, Stuart. [bye.gif]

Hank [cheers.gif]
Mark Golodetz
(Online)

Post #54  Postby Mark Golodetz » February 5th 2012, 8:29am

Berry Crawford wrote:
Mark Golodetz wrote:they have contested one major assertion, and stated categorically that Rudy did not consign the wines; and in the phone conversation they have not found any relationship between Rudy and the actual consignor; how hard they looked would be an interesting question

Except that an employee there admited already that these were Rudy wines.

I'm no legal expert but if I was on a jury and presented this information and there were no other major revelations then I would not look favorably on the auction house.

I did not get that with any certainty;

"were officially consigned through an agent -- one Antonio Castanos -- who is known to have acted on Mr. Kurniawan's behalf in selling wines to third parties ", which is what Don found out from the phone call to the Spectrum employee. It is possible, but very unlikely, that Castanos was acting for somebody else. In later posts, Don writes that there were lots other than Rudy's in the sale, so it is implied that Spectrum admitted that the wine came from Rudy, but Spectrum have denied the wines came from him.
Not sure they have come out and said came from him; in fact they have said just the opposite.
ITB
Berry Crawford

Post #55  Postby Berry Crawford » February 5th 2012, 8:44am

Mark Golodetz wrote:Not sure they have come out and said came from him

This is the relevant text to me:

I pointed out that technically Antonio Castanos had consigned the wines, but on behalf of Rudy, and that his own employee, who is a “Consignment Director” that I’ve known for many years, had confirmed that information to me. Mr. Boland insisted that the information reported to me was “privileged and confidential” and that the employee who had confirmed that Mr. Kurniawan had consigned wines for the auction through Spectrum was not authorized to tell me this information

Seems pretty clear cut unless the employee was simply wrong but I find it hard to believe (actually impossible to believe) someone whose job it is to management consignments would make such a major and conicidental mistake.

Mark Golodetz wrote:in fact they have said just the opposite.

Actually, he has not said that these were not from Rudy, only that Rudy was not the actual consigner. If they were not from Rudy one would think the president of the company would be unambiguous about it.

I think that In civil cases the burden of proof is a preponderance of evidence not "without a reasonble doubt". Of course I may not all the details that would come out in a trial but it seems fishy!

If I were the president I would come here and make an unambiguous statement to leave no doubt.
John Morris
SubscriberSubscriber

Post #56  Postby John Morris » February 5th 2012, 9:46am

Berry Crawford wrote:I think that In civil cases the burden of proof is a preponderance of evidence not "without a reasonble doubt". Of course I may not all the details that would come out in a trial but it seems fishy!

Be aware that under British libel law, the burden of proof is on the person making the defamatory statements that they were true. The target of the unflattering remarks does not not have to proof they were false. And British courts have been very receptive to suits based on statements by foreign publications and web sites that could be read in the U.K.
"We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true." -- variously attributed and constantly corroborated
Marc Frontario

Post #57  Postby Marc Frontario » February 5th 2012, 9:57am

Knowing full well that spectrum is trying to establish themselves in the hong kong/asian market...these wines will just end up being mixed with soda or lemonade...so they'll never know. My comments are sophmoric at best, but if this is spectrums strategy...do the asian consumers have enough experience/expertise to taste or inspect a fraud?
Last edited by Marc Frontario on February 5th 2012, 10:14am, edited 2 times in total.
Berry Crawford

Post #58  Postby Berry Crawford » February 5th 2012, 9:58am

John Morris wrote:
Berry Crawford wrote:I think that In civil cases the burden of proof is a preponderance of evidence not "without a reasonble doubt". Of course I may not all the details that would come out in a trial but it seems fishy!

Be aware that under British libel law, the burden of proof is on the person making the defamatory statements that they were true. The target of the unflattering remarks does not not have to proof they were false. And British courts have been very receptive to suits based on statements by foreign publications and web sites that could be read in the U.K.

I think Don is safe assuming he heard the employee correctly. Plus it is an american company.
Brady Daniels
SubscriberSubscriber

Post #59  Postby Brady Daniels » February 5th 2012, 10:02am

John Morris wrote:

Yeah, I tried to warn of that in post 10 of this thread, but to no avail. (I am not a lawyer, so what do I know?) It makes for interesting reading, anyway.
-Brady (Brady D on CT)

2014 Favorite wines:
1958 Haut Brion
1998 Roumier Bonnes Mares
1993 Engel Clos Vougeot
1978 Jaboulet Hermitage La Chapelle
2010 Carlisle Monte Rosso Zinfandel
John Morris
SubscriberSubscriber

Post #60  Postby John Morris » February 5th 2012, 11:44am

Berry Crawford wrote:
John Morris wrote:

I think Don is safe assuming he heard the employee correctly. Plus it is an american company.

It doesn't matter that it's a U.S. company. It would be easy for it or the British auction house to sue claiming their reputations were injured in Britain. It would be Don's word against the company's and Don would have the burden of proving both that the alleged admission re Rudy was in fact made and that it was true. (I don't know if the U.K. courts could get
personal jurisdiction over people posting here. That's a separate issue.)

Remember, Random House withdrew The Billionaire's Vinegar from Britain when Michael Broadbent sued and issued an apology even though it was hard to see how Broadbent could have won on the facts.

British libel law is scary and hard for Americans to grasp because we are lucky enough to have had the benefit of 50 years of Supreme Court rulings that create a lot more latitude for public discussion. In the process, we've become more thick skinned. The British are much more sensitive about their reputations in the face of accusations, and those who feel aggrieved -- whether justified or not -- have a powerful bludgeon in the form of the law.

Don's post laid out the information carefully and responsibly but, like Brady, I think it's worth reminding everyone here that there are risks to bad-mouthing British people on-line, even on an American-based board.
"We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true." -- variously attributed and constantly corroborated
Don Cornwell

Post #61  Postby Don Cornwell » February 5th 2012, 11:46am

jasonboland wrote:All the wine in this auction went through an elevated inspection process by our experts before being placed into the sale.

Here are some of the more obvious issues that are raised by the pictures in the catalog, but which are not addressed anywhere in the text of the auction catalog:

(1) Condition of the capsules vs. fills and labels. The biggest red flag to me is the condition of the capsules as compared to the fills/labels. Many of the wines on this list have very clean labels and excellent fills, but ratty capsules. This makes no sense at all and the reverse is much more common with old wines from damp cellars. Spectrum has done nothing to explain this.

(2) No provenance information of any kind vs. an exceptional number of cut capsules. I do not ever recall seeing an auction catalog before where there wasn’t a single comment about provenance. Usually, at a minimum, there is some type of description of the storage conditions for the wine. But here there is absolutely nothing. Is that because Spectrum thought they would be taking a risk by making any statement whatsoever about how or where these wines were stored before the sale? With that alarm already sounding, the huge number of capsules that were cut or trimmed -- apparently before the wines ever reached Spectrum – again raises major questions that call for serious disclosure. Ordinarily, wines that come out of the cellars of original owners don’t have T-cuts and capsule trims unless the owner has already tried unsuccessfully to sell the wines and had them rejected by an auction house. I can’t remember seeing DRC capsules where somebody cut off the printed band that surrounds the bottom of the capsule as an alleged means of providing assurance of proper provenance. Instead this raises the potential for fraud and certainly cries out for complete disclosure about where these wines came from, what other experts/auction houses rejected them and why. See lots: 37, 88, 89, 90, 93, 95, 96, 98, and 131. Lot 132 has perfect conditions except for an excessively abraded capsule. Spectrum: what is the explanation for zero provenance disclosure and yet clear indicia that a number of these wines appear to have been evaluated and possibly rejected by other auction houses previously?

(3) Missing Accent Marks on Romanée in the Appellation Controlée Line. Several lots of the DRC Romanée Conti are missing the accent on the first Ė (accent Aigu) on the green-colored Appellation Romanée Conti line. This is something that DRC has always used. The following lots of Romanée Conti appear to be missing the é in “Appellation Romanée Conti” and thus would appear to be questionable.

-Lot No.99: 12 bottles of 1971
-Lot No 101: 3 jeroboams of 1971 (but this is slightly unclear in the photo)
-Lot No 118: 12 bottles of 1966
-Lot No 121: 12 bottles of 1964
-Lot No 124: 3 magnums of 1962
-Lot No 127: 12 bottles of 1959

Was any attempt made by the “experts” to verify the authenticity of these anomalous labels with the Domaine?

(4) Missing Accent Marks on Post-77 La Tâche in the Appellation Controlée Line. Today’s modern La Tâche label contains an accent (circumflex) over the second A in La Tâche – both on the main block lettering of the vineyard name, and the green appellation controlée line. The circumflex was not included above the second A in La Tâche until the 1978 vintage and it appears on all La Tâche bottles from 1978 on. (The one exception to this that I’m aware of is that Wilson-Daniels has released some bottles of 1971 La Tache with new labels which contain the circumflex over the A in both places and Wilson-Daniels strip labels. It is possible that there may have been some other pre-78 vintages where Wilson-Daniels or the DRC importers in other countries have issued late releases with the new label, but I haven’t seen any to date.) . Lot 11, a magnum of 1985 La Tache, is missing the circumflex over the A on the green appellation controlee line, and thus the label appears to be a potential counterfeit. Again, was the authenticity of these labels confirmed with the Domaine?

(5) Incorrect Accent Marks on Propriétaire on the second printed line on the label. Another little-noticed change in DRC’s labels over time is that the modern label has an accent (Aigu) on the first E in the word propriétaire which appears on the left side of the second printed line on the label. DRC first began using the Aigu in the word propriétaire sometime after 1975 and the Aigu definitely appears in Proprietaire on line 2 on all DRC bottles from the 1978 vintage onward. It is not properly there however on bottles issued before 1976. (This is once again subject to the same exception for late release bottles of 1971 through Wilson-Daniels, which do bear the Aigu in Proprietaire.) In the case of the Spectrum wines, it would appear that someone copied the modern DRC label in attempting to fake older bottles of DRC, because the following lots contain an Aigu in Propriétaire but should not for the vintage in question:

-Lot 17: 2 magnums of 1959 Romanée Conti
-Lot 65: 7 bottles of 1966 DRC Montrachet
-Lot 66: 7 bottles of 1966 DRC Montrachet
-Lot 99: 12 bottles of 1999 Romanée Conti
-Lot 118: 12 bottles of 1966 Romanée Conti
-Lot 121: 12 bottles of 1964 Romanée Conti

Once again, if you have information from the Domaine that the labels on these bottles are correct, would you please share it.

(6) Incorrect Number of Digits on Bottle Numbers. The following lots contain an incorrect number of digits on the bottle number when compared with other bottles of known provenance:

-Lot 12: six magnums of 1971 La Tâche (alleged bottle No. 0255). Compare, e.g., 1971 La Tâche magnum (bottle No. 01078) in “Wines from the Legendary Cellar of Wolfgang Grünewald” Acker Auction Oct 18, 2008 at page 174. See also Acker Hong Kong Auction No. 1, May 31, 2008 Lot 122 (1971 DRC La Tache Magnum No. 00327). Notably, the 1971 magnums that Mr. Kurniawan sold in the April 27, 2007 Christie’s Los Angeles auction had very similar four digit numbers. See the Christie’s April 27, 2007 auction catalog at page 85 (bottle numbers 0233, 0235 and 0236.)

-Lot 15: two magnums of 1962 La Tâche (alleged bottle Nos. 0306 and 0308.) Compare, e.g. 1971 La Tache magnum (bottle No. 00346) in “Wines from the Legendary Cellar of Wolfgang Grünewald,” Acker Auction Oct 18, 2008, Lot 646 at page 174.

-Lots 65 and 66: each lot consists of 7 bottles of 1966 DRC Montrachet. Note that the bottle numbers on Lot 65 are all four digit numbers, ranging from 0900 to 0906. However, Lot 66 is all five digit numbers, ranging from 00035 to 00041. DRC uses either five or six digit numbers on their Montrachet bottles and used five digit numbers for the Montrachet in the 1966 vintage. See the photo below of Bottle 00148.

-Lot 94: a magnum of 1978 Romanée Conti (alleged bottle No. 0027). I personally owned a magnum of 1978 La Tache, which I sold at auction on December 10, 2005. My magnum had a six digit bottle number. See also Lots 95-97 in this auction (1978 Romanée Contis in 750 ml bottles) which have six digit numbers.

-Lot 100: a magnum of 1971 Romanée Conti (alleged bottle No. 0048). Compare, e.g. 1971 Romanée Conti magnum (bottle No. 000355) in “The Don Stott Collection,” Acker Merrall 11/4/2011, at Lot 1246 (at page 435).

-Lot 101: 3 jeroboams of 1971 Romanée Conti (alleged bottle Nos 016, 017 and 018.) Compare, e.g. 1971 Romanée Conti Jeroboam (bottle No. 00014), in “Hong Kong XVI,” Acker Merrall 9/16-17/2011, Lot 811 at page 268 and related photo.

(7) Incorrect Capsules. Lots 65 and 66 (1966 DRC Montrachet) have plain white capsules. That is incorrect. DRC utilizes a white capsule with a black printed band on it, which is similar to the branded capsules used on the red wines. A photo showing the proper capsule and label is set forth below.
66 DRC Montrachet.jpg

The description on Lot 65 says five bottles have “nicked Establissements Nicolas” capsules and the labels have “Establissments Nicolas” stamped on them. I’ve never heard of any DRC Montrachett being capsuled with Nicolas capsules. Leaving aside the absence of the Domaine capsules, why would wines have Nicolas capsules and labels and Lebegue-Bichot import/export strips (see photo of Lot 65 on page 69) at the same time? That makes no sense. Lot 66 has plain white capsules for which no explanation is provided and the Lebegue-Bichot import/export strips on that set of bottles are quite different.

(8) Wrong glass Lots 65 and 66 (1966 Montrachet) have completely different glass, including one that is completely inappropriate for a bottle of 1966 wine. The photo of Lot 65 on page 71 shows modern “tire tread” glass near the punt. The photo of Lot 66 on page 73 shows flat glass on the punt appropriate for the era.

(9) Too many bottles. 1966 DRC Montrachet is an exceedingly rare wine at this point. A search of Wine Market Journal reveals that only 7 bottles of 1966 DRC Montrachet have come into the auction market since 1996. Spectrum purports to have 14 bottles in a single auction. Surely this requires, at a minimum, a detailed description of the provenance of these bottles.

(10) Crudely stamped bottle numbers vs Domaine’s printed numbers. Lot No. 94 (an alleged magnum of 78 Romanée Conti) has a crudely hand-stamped four digit number. However, for the 1978 vintage DRC had the numbers printed onto their labels. See, for example, the photograph of Lot 97 (1978 Romanée Conti 750ml bottle) which appears at page 105 of the Spectrum catalog. See also the photograph of 1978 Romanée Conti (Bottle No. 005884) in “The Ultimate Cellar,” Sotheby’s April 2-3, 2011 (Lot 6244 at page 171.)

(11) Misspellings. On lot 94 (magnum of 78 Romanée Conti), the street address of Percy Fox, the UK agent, is misspelled. The name of the street. is Sackville, not Sackvilee. There are numerous photographs of the Percy Fox strip label with the address correctly spelled on other bottles in other auction catalogs. Have your experts contacted Percy Fox to determine whether they in fact used strip labels with their address misspelled?

(12) Wrong surround trim on the neck label. On Lot No. 99 (12 bottles of 1971 Romanée Conti) the decorative edging around the neck label is incorrect. The normal edging is a thick bold outer line tracing the shape of the neck label and a second fine parallel line in black with white space in between. On Lot 99, the fine black line and white space is missing. Instead there appears to be a solid gray line directly abutting the black solid outer line and there is no intervening white space between them. .

(13) Record of prior sale of the same numbered bottle. Lot 101 consists of three jeroboams of 1971 Romanée Conti with consecutive numbers. One of those is No 018. A jeroboam bearing the identical number was sold in Kurniawan's Cellar II auction and another bearing the number 00018 was sold in the Rosania/Kurniawan auction at Acker on April 25, 2008. Each of these jeroboams had different strip labels, neck labels, etc. and both of them are quite different in appearance from Spectrum’s lot 101. What evidence did Spectrum’s “experts” use to determine that the bottle in Lot 101 is legitimate and the other two (at least one of which came from the same source) were fake? Moreover, how does Spectrum explain the fact that the three jeroboams in Lot 101 have three digit bottle numbers and are missing the Aigu accent on the first Ė on the green-colored Appellation Romanée Conti line?

(14) Soil level irreconcilable between main label, neck label and strip label. This is true in several instances. One of the most egregious is Lot 97 (1978 Romanée Conti). Another is lot 121 (12 bottles of 1964 Romanée Conti.)

(15) Wrong font/wrong spacing on some older neck labels. My very first impression as I looked at the photographs of the older wines in the catalog was that the font is wrong on the neck labels. DRC uses a comic-type font for MONOPOLE on the neck label. From 1990 on, the font in use for “MONOPOLE” has been the same as is depicted in the photo of the 1999 Romanée Conti on page 22 of the Spectrum catalog. However prior to the 1990 vintage the font on the neck label was slightly different. The font was slightly narrower, with the result that the straight lines in the M, N, P, L and E appear somewhat “thinner” before 1990. Additionally, the top portion of the letter O was distinctly “thin” in comparison with the bulbous bottom. See the photographs of the neck labels on the 1966 to 1988 vintages set forth at pages 70 and 74 of the Sotheby’s “Ultimate Cellar” catalog and pages 174, 176 and 186 of the Wolfgang Grünewald catalog referenced above. In addition, prior to 1990 (except apparently for the vintage 1964), the vintage date was printed in a regular font, not the thick bold numbering which appears on the modern labels In addition, for the years from 1978 through 1988 there was greater space between the numerals comprising the year than there is today. (Again, see the photographs from other auction catalogs referenced above.) The neck labels on the Spectrum bottles in Lots 11, 12, 89, 91, 92, 94, 97, 99, 118 and 122 do not match the neck labels in other auction catalogs for the vintages after 1964 and before 1990. The neck labels in the Spectrum catalog appear to be copies of the modern version – with a much thicker font on MONOPOLE, broad bold numbering and tight spacing between the numerals, even for the vintages from 1978 through 1988.

Ultimately, I’m left astonished wondering whose Spectrum’s alleged “experts” were and just what did they do? There are so many red flags here; so many things that an alleged “expert” should have detected but didn’t. Just what did this allegedly “elevated inspection process” consist of? What steps did Spectrum take to authenticate the “once in a lifetime” bottles of 1945 La Tache and Romanée Conti with DRC itself? What information did Spectrum obtain from DRC, if any, that would enable them to offer these wines to the public despite the obvious issues?
Last edited by Don Cornwell on February 5th 2012, 9:10pm, edited 2 times in total.
Don Cornwell
Oxidized Burgs Wiki
Eric LeVine
SubscriberSubscriber

Post #62  Postby Eric LeVine » February 5th 2012, 11:58am

Wow, amazing Don.
-Eric LeVine (ITB)
It rhymes with wine...
Brian G r a f s t r o m
SubscriberSubscriber
up to no good

Post #63  Postby Brian G r a f s t r o m » February 5th 2012, 12:02pm

OK, folks; we don't normally do this so early in the year, but I'm afraid the POTY ballots are now officially closed, as we now have a clear winner. Thank you for your understanding regarding this matter, and please try again next year. [thankyou.gif]

Don,
[worship.gif]
“All these characters spend their time explaining themselves, and happily recognizing that they hold the same opinions … how important they consider it to think the same things all together.” --- A.R.

CT handle: grafstrb
CJ Beazley

Post #64  Postby CJ Beazley » February 5th 2012, 12:08pm

That is some impressive investigative work there. It would appear that most of what you stated is irrefutable. At this point I feel the auction house HAS to respond, on this forum, to these observations to have any credibility left concerning these lots. I feel sorry for some unfortunate buyer who doesn't have this information, regardless of what they chose to do with, or mix with, these purchases.
It's C(raig)
Peter Kleban
SubscriberSubscriber

Post #65  Postby Peter Kleban » February 5th 2012, 12:09pm

John Morris wrote:
British libel law is scary and hard for Americans to grasp because we are lucky enough to have had the benefit of 50 years of Supreme Court rulings that create a lot more latitude for public discussion. In the process, we've become more thick skinned. The British are much more sensitive about their reputations in the face of accusations, and those who feel aggrieved -- whether justified or not -- have a powerful bludgeon in the form of the law.

My wife is British. Should I be worried [scratch.gif]
CJ Beazley

Re: URGENT WARNING--RUDY KURNIAWAN IS TRYING TO AUCTION MORE WIN

Post #66  Postby CJ Beazley » February 5th 2012, 12:13pm

Not unless you publicly call her a "tart"
It's C(raig)
droch

Post #67  Postby droch » February 5th 2012, 12:15pm

Eric LeVine wrote:Wow, amazing Don.

This.
-Devin
AAgrawal

Post #68  Postby AAgrawal » February 5th 2012, 12:17pm

Oh wow. This is stunning, and a huge amount of work. You sir are a true burgophile's burgophile. I think DRC should hire you as their counterfeit czar.
Ashish Agrawal
Sauternes Fanatic
Peter Kleban
SubscriberSubscriber

Post #69  Postby Peter Kleban » February 5th 2012, 12:20pm

Incredible piece of detective work, Don. [worship.gif] [worship.gif] [welldone.gif]
Brad Kane
SubscriberSubscriber

Post #70  Postby Brad Kane » February 5th 2012, 12:23pm

Peter Kleban wrote:Incredible piece of detective work, Don. [worship.gif] [worship.gif] [welldone.gif]

What Peter said.
itb.

Return to Wine Talk