TN- 2009 M. Lapierre, Morgon

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
jay bonfili

TN- 2009 M. Lapierre, Morgon

Post #1  Postby jay bonfili » November 11th 2010, 5:56am

I have been quite busy lately. Therefore, I have not been tasting much wine. However, recently I did submitt to the '09 Bojo hype and ordered a few mixed cases from various producers.

last eve Megan and I had a few hours to enjoy a bottle of wine on the back porch.

This is how it went down.

Brillant, translucent ruby robe. Truely jewel-like. Classic gamay nose. Bright red fruit, some bannana and a wonderful undertone of game/earth. Spice throughout. In the mouth it is utterly mouth-watering. Nice acid, great mid-palate and a lingering finish. All this - while being perfectly weightless on the palate. This wine begs you for another sip.

A wonderful change-up from the ordinary. Last night, in context - it was a perfect wine.

Note: I have now had quite a few of the '09 Cru Bojos... while they were all very nice (the Lapierre being exceptional) I really don't get the vintage hype. Just an observation.
jay bonfili

Advertisement

Richard T r i m p i
SubscriberSubscriber

Re: TN- 2009 M. Lapierre, Morgon

Post #2  Postby Richard T r i m p i » November 11th 2010, 7:24am

jay bonfili wrote:Note: I have now had quite a few of the '09 Cru Bojos... while they were all very nice (the Lapierre being exceptional) I really don't get the vintage hype. Just an observation.
Jay, It's kind of a context thing. For my tastes, this great Beaujolais vintage simply means that wines I'm familiar with from earlier vintages are, on average for 09, better. There are a few more great ones and a few less clunkers. 03 was a "great vintage" that I'd like to rewind and skip - chacun son gout = YMMV. Glad the 09 Lapierre delivered. "Perfect" is pretty high praise.

RT
jay bonfili

Post #3  Postby jay bonfili » November 11th 2010, 8:22am

Richard,

Yep, that makes sense. I just haven't noticed the 2009s to be tremendously superior to other Crus that I have had from other merely "good" vintages. Then, again, I am far from an expert - I guess I drink no more than 10 btls of Bojo a year.

Yes. High praise, indeed. It was perfect for us last night. It was the wine that delivered what we were looking for at that moment - hence, the "context" reference.
jay bonfili
alan weinberg
SubscriberSubscriber

Post #4  Postby alan weinberg » December 4th 2010, 8:56am

opened a bottle of the "N" last night--best Bojo I've tasted yet.
This Bojo's got mojo. (I've been wanting to say that.)
Thanks, Martin--great purchase. Not just great Beaujolais--it's a stunning wine.

alan
Peter C.

Post #5  Postby Peter C. » December 4th 2010, 8:57am

My favorite, too.
( z y ® y ( @
Carl Steefel

Post #6  Postby Carl Steefel » December 5th 2010, 11:27am

alan weinberg wrote:opened a bottle of the "N" last night--best Bojo I've tasted yet.
Thanks, Martin--great purchase. Not just great Beaujolais--it's a stunning wine.

alan

What is the "N"? I am familiar with the Lapierre Morgon (the 2009 of which I served at Thanksgiving, it was excellent) and the Vieilles Vignes, which I have not seen yet from 2009 (unless Kermit Baby sold them all already)...
alan weinberg
SubscriberSubscriber

Post #7  Postby alan weinberg » December 5th 2010, 12:09pm

Carl Steefel wrote:
alan weinberg wrote:opened a bottle of the "N" last night--best Bojo I've tasted yet.

alan

What is the "N"? I am familiar with the Lapierre Morgon (the 2009 of which I served at Thanksgiving, it was excellent) and the Vieilles Vignes, which I have not seen yet from 2009 (unless Kermit Baby sold them all already)...
Normal or no added sulfur. It's on the back label where Kermit's import label is.
alan
Peter Kleban
SubscriberSubscriber

Post #8  Postby Peter Kleban » December 5th 2010, 12:23pm

alan weinberg wrote:
Carl Steefel wrote:

alan

Normal or no added sulfur. It's on the back label where Kermit's import label is.
alan

Wish I could get a bottle of this, it's sold out around here.

Have you liked any other '09s as much, Alan? Just had the Foillard "Côte du Py" Morgon '09 which was quite something. But I don't have anything like your experience.
alan weinberg
SubscriberSubscriber

Post #9  Postby alan weinberg » December 5th 2010, 4:31pm

Peter Kleban wrote:Have you liked any other '09s as much, Alan? Just had the Foillard "Côte du Py" Morgon '09 which was quite something. But I don't have anything like your experience.
it's all over wine-searcher for about $20. I've bought a bunch of Bojos, had a few that I've really liked (Jadot, Lapalu, and a couple others), but this Lapierre was stunning.

alan
Ian Fitzsimmons

Post #10  Postby Ian Fitzsimmons » December 5th 2010, 7:01pm

Unless you have perfect cellar conditions, the N can be tricky to age, because of the low sulfur.
Peter Kleban
SubscriberSubscriber

Post #11  Postby Peter Kleban » December 5th 2010, 7:05pm

Ian Fitzsimmons wrote:Unless you have perfect cellar conditions, the N can be tricky to age, because of the low sulfur.

Right, it's essential to keep this cool (ie below about 60 deg as for any low/no sulfur wine). You can put it in the fridge over the summer if your cellar is too warm.
Carl Steefel

Post #12  Postby Carl Steefel » December 5th 2010, 9:21pm

Ian Fitzsimmons wrote:Unless you have perfect cellar conditions, the N can be tricky to age, because of the low sulfur.

I seem to recall that NY Times writer Asimov just had a bad bottle in fact...
Chris Seiber
(Online)
SubscriberSubscriber
Omnivinovore

Post #13  Postby Chris Seiber » December 6th 2010, 12:43pm

Peter Kleban wrote:

Right, it's essential to keep this cool (ie below about 60 deg as for any low/no sulfur wine). You can put it in the fridge over the summer if your cellar is too warm.

Is this true for all or most cru Beaujolais, or just certain ones? How would you know which ones?
"Appreciating old wine is like making love to a very old lady. It is possible. It can even be enjoyable. But it requires a bit of imagination." - Andre Tchelistcheff
Michel Abood
SubscriberSubscriber
Vino Hunter

Post #14  Postby Michel Abood » December 6th 2010, 12:51pm

Peter C. wrote:My favorite, too.

+1

We tasted this and many (too many!) other 09 Bojos at Ten Bells last week and it really stood out.
Guess what? I'm ITB-> Vinotas Selections
Peter Kleban
SubscriberSubscriber

Post #15  Postby Peter Kleban » December 6th 2010, 12:59pm

Chris Seiber wrote:
Peter Kleban wrote:

Is this true for all or most cru Beaujolais, or just certain ones? How would you know which ones?

AFAIK, it's only a problem if they are low or not sulfured. I believe the sulfuring retards oxidation, otherwise it will proceed more rapidly, esp. at higher temps. Most wines are sulfured, the "gang of four" Bojos tend not to be, I think they believe that sulfuring hides the true flavor.
Ian Fitzsimmons

Post #16  Postby Ian Fitzsimmons » December 6th 2010, 2:38pm

Peter covers most of what I think I know; the microbe that creates brett can also go wild, apparently, in the absence of sulfur and presence of warmth.
Cliff Rosenberg

Post #17  Postby Cliff Rosenberg » December 6th 2010, 2:47pm

Peter Kleban wrote:
Chris Seiber wrote:
Peter Kleban wrote:

AFAIK, it's only a problem if they are low or not sulfured. I believe the sulfuring retards oxidation, otherwise it will proceed more rapidly, esp. at higher temps. Most wines are sulfured, the "gang of four" Bojos tend not to be, I think they believe that sulfuring hides the true flavor.

The Gang uses less than many producers, but most of their bottles that come to the States get at least some.
Chris Seiber
(Online)
SubscriberSubscriber
Omnivinovore

Post #18  Postby Chris Seiber » December 6th 2010, 3:55pm

I know who the Axis of Evil and the Big Four accounting firms are, but not the Beaujolais Gang of Four. I take it Lapierre is one -- who are the others?
"Appreciating old wine is like making love to a very old lady. It is possible. It can even be enjoyable. But it requires a bit of imagination." - Andre Tchelistcheff
Cliff Rosenberg

Post #19  Postby Cliff Rosenberg » December 6th 2010, 4:28pm

Breton, Foillard, Thévenet (and for a short while, a fifth, Métras)
Frank Smith
SubscriberSubscriber

Post #20  Postby Frank Smith » December 6th 2010, 4:37pm

Cliff Rosenberg wrote:
Peter Kleban wrote:
Chris Seiber wrote:
Peter Kleban wrote:

The Gang uses less than many producers, but most of their bottles that come to the States get at least some.

Does anyone know if Thivin uses low / no sulfer? Earlier this year I ran across and purchased four bottles of their 2005 Côte de Brouilly, thinking it was a good find. However, 3 of the 4 seemed to be prematurely oxidized. I don't know if that was a reflection of the wine itself, the corks, how it was stored before I bought it, or a combination. I have some 2007 of the same wine, and none of the bottles have shown any sign of this whatsoever, but I bought those shortly after release and they've been stored at 55F since.
Last edited by Frank Smith on December 7th 2010, 6:17pm, edited 1 time in total.
No can link
Richard T r i m p i
SubscriberSubscriber

Post #21  Postby Richard T r i m p i » December 6th 2010, 4:40pm

Cliff Rosenberg wrote:Breton, Foillard, Thévenet (and for a short while, a fifth, Métras)
Was Metras ever excluded?...or just a late arrival?

RT
Cliff Rosenberg

Post #22  Postby Cliff Rosenberg » December 6th 2010, 4:58pm

Richard T r i m p i wrote:
Cliff Rosenberg wrote:Breton, Foillard, Thévenet (and for a short while, a fifth, Métras)
Was Metras ever excluded?...or just a late arrival?
RT

The story I heard is that he does not like paperwork and has no trouble selling out in France.
jbray23

Post #23  Postby jbray23 » December 6th 2010, 5:05pm

Isn't Breton the 5th and Diochin is the true 4th?

Jb
Jason, back itb
Cliff Rosenberg

Post #24  Postby Cliff Rosenberg » December 6th 2010, 5:53pm

Crush e-mail blast wrote: The Return of Top Beaujolais from Y. Metras!

After a brief stint alongside the Gang of Four (Lapierre, Thevenet, Foillard, Breton) with importer Kermit Lynch, Metras completely disappeared from the US market (Metras reportedly ended his relationship with the US because he hated the paperwork, preferring to spend his time in the vineyard and his winery).
Ian Fitzsimmons

Post #25  Postby Ian Fitzsimmons » December 6th 2010, 6:02pm

I have quite a pile of the 05 Thivin Cote de; it was a favorite among the 05s. A bottle we opened last year that was fine. Plan to open another next week to gauge whether to buy again in 09 and will post if it's bad.

His Cote de Brouilly is a structured wine and needs some age, so it's a waste if it can't for some reason. 07 would be an early drinker, of course.
scamhi
SubscriberSubscriber

Post #26  Postby scamhi » December 6th 2010, 6:33pm

I loved the 05's Thivin cote de Brouilly.
I purchased many on closeout.
Just bought some of the 09- not on closeout. (B-21)
I did reload today with a solid case of the 09 Lapierre Morgon $17.99btl.
When it is on, it is brilliant
S u z a n n e C a m h i
Peter Kleban
SubscriberSubscriber

Post #27  Postby Peter Kleban » December 6th 2010, 7:50pm

scamhi wrote:I did reload today with a solid case of the 09 Lapierre Morgon $17.99btl.

Where did you get them, Suzanne? Maybe I'll spring for some (which would mean 4 different '09 Morgons in my cellar, but why not?).
alan weinberg
SubscriberSubscriber

Post #28  Postby alan weinberg » December 6th 2010, 9:24pm

Peter Kleban wrote:
scamhi wrote:I did reload today with a solid case of the 09 Lapierre Morgon $17.99btl.

Where did you get them, Suzanne? Maybe I'll spring for some (which would mean 4 different '09 Morgons in my cellar, but why not?).
you won't be sorry. I've got a case (minus 2), but wouldn't mind more. $18 is stealing.
alan
Carl Steefel

Post #29  Postby Carl Steefel » December 6th 2010, 9:45pm

$18 is definitely a steal for this wine. I paid closer to $23 at Kermit Lynch, but then he has to be careful not to undercut his retailers. Probably with a case discount I could bring it down to $21...
scamhi
SubscriberSubscriber

Post #30  Postby scamhi » December 7th 2010, 7:09am

purchased at grand cru wines (gcwines.net)
S u z a n n e C a m h i
Craig B
ContributorContributor

Post #31  Postby Craig B » December 7th 2010, 10:15am

Thanks for your order Suzanne!

For those that are interested, I will have 36 more bottles tomorrow.
Craig Brautigam - ITB Grand Cru
scamhi
SubscriberSubscriber

Post #32  Postby scamhi » December 7th 2010, 10:38am

thanks for the great pricing and fast shipping Craig.
S u z a n n e C a m h i
Craig B
ContributorContributor

Post #33  Postby Craig B » December 7th 2010, 10:51am

Your welcome!
Craig Brautigam - ITB Grand Cru
Brad Kane
SubscriberSubscriber

Post #34  Postby Brad Kane » December 7th 2010, 3:04pm

That's a really great price, Suzanne!

As you know, I've gone hog wild over this wine. I've already downed nine bottles and have a case left. The good news is I managed to get six of those bottles to off-site storage, so now I can't get my grubby mitts on them and will be able to see how they develop.
itb.
Martin Steinley
SubscriberSubscriber

Post #35  Postby Martin Steinley » December 7th 2010, 8:18pm

alan

You're welcome, Alan. That it high praise, indeed, coming from you. This unsulphured bottling should be beautiful for many years coming out of your 50 degree cellar. You may have noticed in the New York Times obituary for Marcel Lapierre about which you posted in another thread Kermit Lynch's comments that this unsulphured cuvee is "voluptuous and rounded" and that the sulphured cuvee is "squared-off."

I stand by my word that when the 09 Foillard cuvees (and the 07 Foillard cuvee 3.14 and 09 Lapierre cuvee Marcel Lapierre) arrive in a couple of weeks, there will be some with your name on them if you want them. Also, if you want some more of this 09 Lapierre cuvee "N," there is some resting in a cold, dark place in my warehouse which you may have.
--Martin
ITB (I am a lawyer by day, but run a small, retail wine business (mostly Burgundies, northern Rhones and northern Italians) as an avocation).
mswm@martinsteinley.com

Return to Wine Talk