2009 Beaujolais - WOWSERS!!!

Eric, here is a recent thread that I have saved as a potential source. John Gilman chimed in with an extensive list that I would like to explore at some point in the future.

2009 Beaujolais - Shout them out... - WINE TALK - WineBerserkers" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Eric:

Many good producers’ wines take time to develop, especially from Morgon, Moulin-a-Vent, and Cote de Brouilly. Personally, I would put Coudert Roilette in this category, too. Brun (l’Ancienne VV - the 09 is in the market now) and Vissoux (Traditionalle) make basic level Beaujolais that are good within several months of release and convey an idea of what their cru bottlings are like. Also, the 2007 vintage offers cru Beaujolais that in many cases is relatively accessible young - the Foillard Morgon Cote du Py would be a good 07 to try. I’m also having some luck recently with 06’s: the Coudert Roilette starts to open nicely with a couple-hour decant, and the Lapierre Morgon VV is very pretty with an hour or so decant.

Ian

Thanks everyone!

Not in '09 but in past vintages. And I was not disagreeing with you Paul, I was merely stating an opinion on many NBI Burg and Beaujolais that I have tasted. Especially cuvee unique which in my experience means cuvee oak, extract and jam. The same old tired story over here as usual . .

And yes I am a blowhard. I call myself one Rockss and Fruit: My 32 Days of Natural Wine Piece -Let Mikey Try It: A Story of Marketing Natural Wine in this recent piece, probably not in the pejorative sense you are using here.

Second paragraph so you don’t have to read through the pain of my blowhardiness. So please don’t call me names I call myself. The undercurrent of rage on this board is thick as the humidity in NYC this summer.

Good response Lyle… [wink.gif]

But to put down an entire series of 2009 wines from a particular importer because of past experience seems a bit lame.
Vintages change, styles change, tastes change.
If you notice, I found two out of the four 2009 Beaujolais from NBI were rather lean and minerally, so the jammy characteristic doesn’t apply to all their wines.
The other two were hedonistic but balanced by fine acid and ripe tannins.

If they come your way, I urge you to give them a try.

TTT

If it comes my way, certainly.

I’d love to use Perrot-Minnot as an example here if I may to show you where my thinking comes from. I started tasting these with the '98 vintage and they were terrible, dark, extracted Pinot bombs that showed zippo sense of place. I did not like the wines. Then a chorus started to form that he changed his style, dialed back the extraction, showed a gentler hand in the cellar, and the wines were different now and more classically Burgundian. I skipped '01 and '02 as there was no interest for me. Tasted '04, '05, '06 and there was no change. Same big, ole, jammy, extracted nasty wines as before. So, based on this experience, I hesitate to taste if the previous say 5-6-7 vintages showed a specific style that is off-putting to me, but as Ian F. has backed you up, and he is a taster I respect, I will give them a whirl if they come my way.

FWIW, I’ve heard NBI described in similar terms to those Lyle uses from other reliable sources. I stopped buying from them a while ago myself - strictly a personal decision.

Sorry I missed your reply before.

I have a case of the 05 Granger MaV and drank the first bottle a few months ago over two days. First day it was flat and thin. Second day it was very fine, almost silky, way outside the Beaujolais stereotype. Now, thanks to you, I have to add this bottling to my 09 wish list, which is already killing me!

Have you tasted the 09 Brun MaV, BTW?

Got to try these yesterday. The quality was very good. The Calot Morgon is a pretty serious wine. People will never take these wines seriously but that bottle is upper echelon grand cru quality. No brainer case purchase.

2009 Christian Vergier Morgon
Purchased for $17 at another store. Importer: Wine Agencies Inc.
Alcohol: 13%. Color: Ruby with hints of purple. This is a dark wine. Nose: Black cherry, freshly cut fennel, powdered sugar.
Taste: Lush but lithe. This wine keeps me guessing. It’s like Donna Reed in a dominatrix suit. Pomegranate and dark cherry backed-up by good acidity. Noticeable tannin in the finish. I was expecting something lighter and brighter, but this is enjoyable. Would buy again, but would like to try other 09’s first.

I think I asked you this already, but does your place of employ plan to restock the Calot Morgon VV?

Donna Reed was before my time, but IMO she was sneaky hot w/o the dominatrix suit…

On the strength of Levenberg’s note, I picked up a case of the Coudert (Clos de la Roilette) Cuvee Tardive and it is stellar. I blind tasted a couple of friends on it and they were impressed as well (not that they could pick Gamay, but I didn’t want them to have preconceived notions of Bojo). I hope all the '09s are as good because this one will drink for years.

Anybody try the Brun l’Ancienne VV yet? Just ordered a case and am anxious to try it. It’s been a house wine in the past. Don’t worry, Lyle, I still drink CA Pinot too (just not as much).

I picked up 6 of the Brun last weekend; I’ll be half finished with it by tomorrow, I’m guessing. It’s fantastic, and I’m sure I’ll buy another 6-pack at least very soon.

So 7+ years have passed and we perhaps gave this same bottle a go over the past two days. An unaffected, somewhat rustic Bojo with black cherry still easy to find but other tastes fleeting (not sure I’d get to the late Ms. Reed in black latex, though I could surely dig this) and a more earthen than sylvan attack. There is real acidity and still pronounced, drying tannins. I think down the road this wine might be one where these vampire tannins live on while the rest of the wine recedes.
IMG_3627.JPG

• 2009 Marcel Lapierre Morgon - France, Burgundy, Beaujolais, Morgon (12/19/2016)
    Barnyard funk on the nose just beautiful and borrows from a red burgundy. Can I describe a beaujolais as a long finish? The initial attack is light, but mid and lasting long palate just keeps bringing back unsweetened black cherry. This gamay has it all and is just singing and light on its feet. Acids in check and could give this years and years of life. Lovely. (96 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

This from a year ago note. I’ll have to check back in on this one.

Wow, glowing note. I still have a couple of these Left, but still a lot of 2100, which I found more structured for the long-haul. Excited to check back in. Still have lots of Roilette left as well.

I love this wine ('09 Lapierre Morgon) and have been taking my time working through a case. To me it’s like the Rayas of Gamay.

Nice!

Has anyone had the Foillard 3.14 recently? I have a bottle tucked away somewhere, figure now could be the time.

I had the Roilette Tardive recently and it was outstanding. I’m only middling on Lapierre. To me, they’re good, not great but generally drinkable on release and widely available.

I was mildly disappointed in my 2009 Lapierre and drank my last bottle over a year ago. I always found it a little clumsy under the weight of fruit (FWIW, I feel the same way about the 2015).

I love Rayas and wouldn’t think to compare the two so I’m curious what you think binds them together.

I had it two years ago - posted a note somewhere here - and it was outstanding. I have more and should pull some out.