2011 East Coast Weather and Vintage Thread

Hi Gary, Cutworms are a yearly problem along with Flee Beetles at this time of the season. We may miss some or many, I really don’t know other than after a night of collecting them off the vines, I see less damage and do buy some time for the buds to open and get past the stage where they’re vulnerable. 200 for four acres is a low number.

I’m in Delaplane, about 20 miles WNW of Jeff and so far we’ve seen minimal cutworm damage/activity. We’ve also had some flea beetles but not enough to lose sleep over yet.

Heading out to apply season first spray, some sulfur and manganese zinc. With the exception of our Sauvignon Blanc and Cabernet Sauvignon, we’ve made one pass through plantings removing unwanted shoots. Also finished the first mowing of the vineyards yesterday. Getting again comfortable with having my bones, skin, muscle and fat vibrated all day on the crawler.

Just finished spraying the old vineyard on less steep terrain. After 3 days on the crawler, driving the rubber tire tractor is like floating in the back seat of a Lincoln Town car.

In the middle of seven days of isolated showers and widespread downpours. I got only half the vineyards protected before all this started. With a window opening this am, I’m heading out to get a quick spray on. So much for a dryish spring.

Yesterday’s spray went well. It’s always a good feeling once that is complete and wet weather moves in, knowing all is safe and protected from disease. Also, even though I walk parts of my vineyards daily, moving through all my vines in just a few hours at 1.5 mph provides me with invaluable information and an overall sense of their health and condition. So far so good for 2011…still quite a ways to go though.

5 days and it could have been worse, 2 inches of rain so far with 2 wet days still to go before sun and temps in the 80’s return this weekend. It is what it is.

Another 1.25 inches over the last 24 hours for a total of 3.25 over the last 6 days. And still 2 more wet days to go before we see sun, feel heat and start to dry out. At least it’s only May. Very sloped and rocky vineyard sites is the way in the east.

Another .25 inch over night. The bulk of this system has gone north but clouds, cool temps and a chance of rain this evening remains. Forecast still looks warm and sunny, starting on Saturday. Vines will really take off then.

Seven days of rain has passed and now we look forward to seven days of sun and heat, low to upper 80’s all next week. I walked the vines yesterday and everything looked fine. Big spray day today to reapply that which washed off over the last week. 8.5 acres this early morning and another 6 this evening. We’re probably 2 weeks away from flowering. Tucking and tying, plus weed wacking all next week.

Thinking about renaming this the 2011 Glen Manor Weather and Vintage Thread as I seem to be the only participant so far.

Got sprays on yesterday as planned and now a shower is passing through the mountains. I’m happy. Flower bud clusters in our merlot and cabernet franc are beginning to droop towards the ground so flowering isn’t too far off. Need some hot dry weather now. Mid to upper 80’s all week with low to mid 60’s at night. There’s also a slight chance of late afternoon thunderstorms each day as this heat builds.

Hey Jeff I enjoy your posts as an insight to compare and contrast what the west coast people are going though. Keep it up the good work [cheers.gif]

Hi Sean, Glad you’re enjoying reading this thread. I was hoping for more of a conversation here and I’m a bit surprised that there seems not to be more growers in the east who want to share what’s happening on their farms. But maybe later as harvest nears. Here is a link, The Virginia 2010 Vintage - Blog Central - DonRockwell.com to a thread I wrote during my 2010 vintage that you may also be interested in reading. It is much more in depth than what I’m writing now. Thanks again for your interest and encouragement.

Fast moving storms blew through during the night. Still, surprised to see an inch in the rain gauge. More coming this afternoon/evening too. pileon

Jeff,

I have been following your thread as well and have really enjoyed it. I live in Northern VA (Loudoun County) and its interesting for me to compare/contrast with whats going on by you vs here. I am a teacher but volunteer out in the vineyard during the summer at a local winery (Sunset Hills) so I enjoy your insight and love learning anything new. I will def check out the 2010 thread you hyperlinked and look forward to your continued posts. Keep up the good work!

Mike

Thanks Mike, I love farming and enjoy writing about my days experiences. Jeff

My crew of 4 and I spent yesterday morning weed wacking under the trellis. Got 2.5 acres finished by noon. I did notice one partial flower at the base of a 4th leaf cabernet franc vine. More storms came through yesterday afternoon and over night but I have not checked the guage yet. Don’t want to look. It’s May and it’s Virginia. It’s supposed to rain.

More heat, humidity and afternoon/evening thunderstorms everyday and for the next 4. At least we have heat to keep moving things along. Looks like we dry out but the heat remains, low 90’s, come Memorial Day. Still spending our mornings weed wacking tall weeds under the vines. 5 acres done with 9.5 to go. Afternoons are spent shoot thinning, tucking and positioning. We won’t stop running fast from now through harvest.

Cabernet Franc and Petit Manseng are in full bloom with Merlot at around 50%. Given the 7 day forecast of high 80’s to low 90’s with only slight chances of scattered afternoon showers, flowering should go quite well. Cabernet Sauvignon and Sauvignon Blanc have not yet started and I still have to check on the Petit Verdot but assume it has begun. We’ve changed the vineyard micro-climate a bit, lowering the canopy humidity with weed wacking and mowing underneath and shoot thinning within. Things are looking up [cheers.gif] so far!..

Very cool and wet Spring thus far along eastern Long Island Sound. Continual fog for much of the day keeps the humidity high and drippy. Conditions are right for downy mildew. Animal movement is pretty high right now with turkeys, deer, and fox making daily appearances. In fact the fox is most curious about my ongoing field work. Ticks are especially vicious this year. I think the inside of my truck is a tick hatchery. Insects seem to be out of synch with each other with predatory species seemingly behind on eradicating problem pests in the garden area. Strawberries are having a difficult go of it this year. Can’t wait for the weather to warm up and dry out.