Deep or Wide? What's say you...

Here’s my plan:

Buy a case of every Giacosa single vineyard Barolo and Barbaresco in every vintage, then try to figure out how to pay for it, esp. after 6 bottles each of G. Mascarello Monprivato, B. Mascarello Barolo, Conterno Cascina Francia, Cavallotto Riserva Vigna San Giuseppe, Altare Brunate, Scavino Cannubi & Fiasc, Elio Grasso Casa Maté, Rinaldi Brunate Le Coste, various Roagna, Vietti, Brovia, & Produttori.

Of course, there’s Donnhoff, and whatever Manfred will sell me, and Saxum, and Foley, Switchback Ridge, Carlisle, … Did I mention Lavoro and assorted Aglianico? Maybach, Outpost, Turley PS, and Kutch Pinot, and of course a case of Montelena EVERY year!

OMG, I have a problem! [bye.gif]

That’s a great selection of Italians, Ken - I would probably drop the Elio Grasso in favor of six bottles of Clerico CMG, but other than that hard to argue with! I sometimes think that Brovia may be the most underrated producer of great wines in Piemonte.

[From Pete Seeger’s version of “Michael, Row the Boat Ashore” which was a song of slaves.[/quote]

Yeah–now I remember. Not really gospel. ‘milk and honey on the other side’. Go deep. And wide.

There is so much good, interesting wine out there that “wide” is the only affordable approach I could ever manage! Burgundy is a favorite, and how could you go deep on DRC, Leroy, Rousseau, Vogue, Dujac, Mugnier, etc., unless you were at least a millionaire?

And how many good producers (and vintages) are there in Bordeaux? And in the Rhone? How about Tuscany and the Piedmont? Don’t forget Rioja. Oh wait. Are there any good wines made in the USA? [basic-smile.gif]

And Oh Wait again! We haven’t chosen any whites yet!! [cheers.gif]

Exactly. How can anyone afford both wide and deep… Oh yeah…John Holmes!

Jb

as for producers: Generally wide; deep on my favorites.

as for vintages: generally deep across producers (pick and choose — only buy vintages I like); wide for my favorite producers (will buy (nearly) every vintage.

IN chart form:

----------------Fav. producer ---- Other producers
Good vintage ------ D --------------- W
Bad vintage ------- W -------------- don’t buy

Exactly. How can anyone afford both wide and deep… Oh yeah…John Holmes!

Jb

No joke…my purchasing power is probably closer to Verne Troyer.

Yeah–now I remember. Not really gospel. ‘milk and honey on the other side’. Go deep. And wide.[/quote]

You may be thinking about Cold Jordan (Traditional) – Grateful Dead/NRPS arrangements.

Oh sinner as you tread on life’s journey, take Jesus as your daily guide
Though you may feel pure and saintly, without Him walking by your side
But when you come to make the crossing at the ending of his pilgrim’s way
If you ever will need your saviour, you will surely need him on that day

Now look at that cold Jordan, look at its deep water
Look at that wide river, oh hear the mighty billows roll
You better take Jesus with you, he’s a true companion
Oh I’m sure without him that you never will make it home

That awful day of judgement is coming in the by and by
We’ll see our Lord descending in glory from on high
Oh, let us keep in touch with Jesus and in the special love of God
And may we ever be called ready when he calls us over Jordan’s tide

Now what you gonna do, oh what you gonna say
Oh how you gonna feel when you come to the end of the way?

Wide all of the way. I’d rather have lots of different and unique drinking experiences, than to repeat (even a great) drinking experience over and over. What gets me over not going deep is to know there is always another vintage and there is plenty of great wine that hasn’t even been made yet

I follow the Jim Morrison approach (at about 2:00):