Golden Age of Zin: Joseph Swan '72 '82 '83, Sutter Home '71

My apologies to anyone who feels like I was trying to shill these wines. In all honesty, I was just geeking-out on these bottles and trying to share my enthusiasm. I felt it to important to create record of these wines in CT and then share with others who feel the same. These are very rare bottles (and now almost completely sold-out), that I view as time capsules.

If Todd would like me to remove this post, I will do so.

No shill about it. If you aren’t on Benchmark’s mailing list, you wouldnt receive the offer and wouldn’t know about it, and you didnt reference anything about it in your post. Not sure why anyone would think it was a shill. Carry on.

This most certainly was not a shill. I bought 2 btls and spoke with Mike, who was very nice about it. These are historial wines and all TNs should be allowed. Your enthusiasm was clearly evident and yout TNs were very much appreciated.

Oh, I didn’t mean to say that Mike was shilling the wines … I just meant the notes were really timely and anyone who was interested in getting on some of these should jump on that offer. Didn’t even make the connection myself newhere

Bought a ton of old Cabernets and Zins from the list. Great prices and enjoyed talked to Mike, who is genuinely enthused by the wines.

It is a fine line as to what constitutes shilling, but Mike certainly did not cross it.

I totally agree…I also purchased some of these wines and applaud Mike’s enthusiasm. This was certainly not shilling and I imagine Mike was just hoping to find suitable homes for these bottles! [welldone.gif]

Cheers!
Marshall [cheers.gif]

Joe - I picked up a mixed half case of 05s today!

Really? That can be remedied. Be sure to remind me and I’ll bring one some time.

Thanks guys.

BTW - Alc levels:
1971 Sutter Home - 13%
1972 Joseph Swan - 13%
1982 and 1983 Swan - not stated on the label… [scratch.gif]

Wes, I will. Thanks!

Enjoy!!

Does it say “table wine” anywhere? If you are under 14% you an say that without including a %.

John, you are correct, it does say “Table Wine” in the fine print where Alc % would normally be. That’s a new one - I’m assuming that this practice is no longer legal?

still quite legal in CA

I bought the 82 Zin on WineBid last year for $20 (+ vig). Here’s my note, which is consistent with Mike’s.

9/15/2009 rated 90 points: Clearly older by its color, but lots of fruit and acid left. This IS on the downside and getting no better, but a bit left in the bottle for the next day actually seemed to have become more integrated and fuller somehow. Very good with pasta dish.

I have a 1981 and a 1983 Cab to open, but I can’t convince anyone to try these with me.

Dietz - put them in a box, and drive north. I think there are a few people up here that would love to help you empty 'em! [wink.gif]

Any thoughts to why we don’t see this more often? (Besides most wines being north of 14%…)

I have a 1987 Swan Sonoma County Zinfandel here in my cellar. Purchased upon release and transferred directly to my cellar, as a gift, in 2008. This one states 12-1/2% alcohol.
I’m not a Zinfandel person. Any idea what to expect from this bottle?

We did it on one wine a few years back- and I dont remember why. I do think the “table wine” denomination may not be synonymous with quality for some drinkers.

Joe’s last vintage- that alone makes it special. Plus a great year and an eager son in law working alongside. Pretty much says it should be awesome.