How does this work? Vinesquare

OMG – look who’s on the internet!!

welcome, friend.

Shady…at best

There is nothing shady per se about a brokerage business. The guy has described the business model, and what is wrong with that? I have not been to the website, but if it clearly indicates that we are dealing with brokerage, why is it shady?

I’ve bought numerous times from Fine & Rare’s brokerage, including some smokin’ good deals, and have been completely happy with how it went down. F&R has a good track record, and I checked them out before pulling the trigger. Everything worked perfectly.

The “problem” is that this thread is about a new outfit with no track record. Brokerage inherently requires trust to be successful IMO. But it is out of bounds to attack them for not owning the stock et cetera, so long as they make it clear that they are a broker.

I looked at the website, and I’d say they are a bit marginal in how they disclose their business… if you know it is brokerage, you can see it clearly… if you wish to assume this is a traditional brick & mortar outfit, you could overlook that it is not that, I suppose.

I’ll repeat that brokerage requires trust, and trust requires track record (and disclosure).

A simple question. If not NY, where do you have a retail wine license?

I think it’s an imposter.

Yup, you’re right. All of the hundreds of wine retailers and wineries out there that take CC payments for wine not being shipped in the next 2-3 days are all in breach of contract with VISA/Mastercard, while you are the only legal wine retailer in existence. Let’s call a press conference. Are you sure the real reason you don’t take plastic is that you’ve been burned by one too many chargebacks in the past?

Nick, all you gotta do is make one phone call, but you’d rather type nonsense, and craft together conspiracy theories. Go verify everything I’ve said about credit cards, and their rules. And the answer to your question is YES.

Tim
http://vinesquare.zendesk.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Why don’t you just send us the language from your merchant agreement that says this and put this to rest?

two quick thoughts:

1. you should probably hire someone that specializes in customer-facing communications because you’re not very good at it. i’m sure you’re great at other things and no one is great at everything, but this is a growth area for you.

2. it doesn’t matter what the credit card agreements allegedly state because just about every other single merchant in the world takes credit cards and therefore the customer has a good deal of protection if things go bad – which unfortunately happens with some regularity. instead of lecturing us on your credit card agreements, convince us that it’s worth taking the risk.

Sorry, I guess I get a little touchy when our company is called a fraud, thief, and a cheat. Please scroll up to find my first “response”. Maybe you could give me a break here? I’m actively responding to a ton of statements, and I’ve already provided proof: Free phone numbers to call that back up everything I’ve said.

As for the merchant agreement, I will post that here today.

Tim

No one is calling you a fraud or a cheat. They’re saying your unwillingness to take credit cards smells a little fishy.

I’ve looked at your website and your FAQ…I have to say that it needs a lot of work to inspire confidence and keeping customers happy. The answers comes on the FAQ come off as trying to avoid most all customer contact, in a brusque, order-or-f*-off manner. I see a lot of potential customers just walking away.

[copy and paste]

"Can I please order over the phone?

No. Our 800# is reserved for clients that place orders online. We cannot handle the call volumes of inquiries on the massive inventory we offer.

I’ve called several times, why aren’t my calls being answered?

See above.

Is this the best price Vinesquare can give me?

Yes. "

valid point. we were adding our most frequently asked questions quickly up there, but will revise them again.

Tim

So the answer is “yes”, you’re the only legal wine retailer in existence. A parable about a man, a very deep hole, and an overused shovel comes to mind at the moment.

Still waiting for an answer on where your liquor license is based, since you stated it is not NY state.

Tick tock tick tock…

Then explain to me why wine retailers across the country are able to sell wine on a futures or pre-arrival basis, where delivery may be months or years away, and yet charge people’s credit cards when the order is confirmed…

Or explain to me how wineries pre-sell their wines–with delivery months away–and yet are able to charge my credit card when the order is placed…

Bruce

Hi Bruce, I actually have a screenshot of MasterCard.com in their Merchant Agreement where they state all of this. But I can’t seem to upload a picture. If anyone can send me an email I can do this tomorrow am, or the next day. (orders@vinesquare.com)

It is directly on MasterCard’s (USA) site on a PDF download describing the merchant regulations. (Section 5.9 is named “Submitting Transactions”. 5.9.1 Describes “Valid Transactions” and 5.9.2 is named “Submit Transactions within Three Business Days”) There is a temporary period where the card may be “authorized” but after 7 days if the card isn’t charged, then the authorized status is removed. Also there may be a “Delayed Presentment”, however the actual words must be included on every receipt, and the customer service rep again insists it cannot be done for a year, and they never saw anything longer than two weeks.

*This was all explained to me again by a customer service rep in CA. His name is Dan, and the number I dialed was (914) 249-2000

Tim

Right here, when you are posting, just open your eyes for the huge UPLOAD ATTACHMENT box. Save your nifty screenshot to your desktop (press PRINTSCREEN, launch MSPAINT and paste and save.) Then upload here. Takes about 10 seconds. Like I just did.
But again, are you saying that EVERY other retailer is in violation of credit card agreements, and you are the only retailer in the world who is in compliance? I think maybe you should get yourself a new credit card processor. Cashier’s checks, wire transfers and other payment methods with ZERO CONSUMER PROTECTION tend to get people nervous. As you can see.