Is anybody here drinking Lafite?

Thanks.

Drank a bottle of '85 in December, my last of that vintage.

I just recently sold wine privately for the first time, got rid of a bunch of Bordeaux that I simply won’t drink. I won’t pretend that current prices for Lafite (aka ‘the bubble’) didn’t affect my decisions (I sold other wines as well), but I kept half of my total Lafite holdings and plan to drink them. I like Lafite. I’m not buying at current prices, but I’m not selling it all either.

Dan Kravitz

Yes, we drank an '88 Saturday night. Didn’t feel like sending this to parts unknown. It was very, very good although maybe not a stellar year for them. It was a only via a fundraiser purchase. [cheers.gif]

Have a couple of old bottles I have had for a fair while, no idea if they will be any good, but will drink them both anyway…a '37 and a '55. Imagine the '55 might be good.

Apart from that, just a few '89’s and '90’s, will also drink them, but probably not for a while…

For what the Chinese are willing to pay for it- I sold what little I had at an average yearly 50% gain .

The marketing Lafite idid over there was impressive, only outdone by Buick

Had 2 bottles of 96 Lafite and 12 bottles of 00 Carrudes. Sold it all a few years ago and quadruppled my money. Never looked back. neener

Just arranged a private sale of my only 2 bottles, an 86 and an 04, to a NYC retailer at a very fair price. Couldn’t bring myself to drink them later. Drank my other 86 with friends to celebrate 60th birthday a few years back. Frankly, didn’t much like it. Expected heaven on earth and got mostly earth. Probably too soon. Would have been nice to be able to have sold it now. Not the end of the world, however.

Hopefully so. One of my goals is to drink at least one bottle of each of the first growths before leaving the planet. Have sampled a 1970 Latour, 1982 Mouton, and 1983 Margaux so far. Sitting in the cellar are 2-3 bottles of 1995 Haut-Brion and 1996 Lafite biding their time.

These days my preference tends to be more towards burgundy, but the first growth Bordeaux are, like all classic wines, glimpses of history and terroir. So yes, I definitely plan on drinking the Lafite when the time comes. Whenever that is.

Cheers,
Doug

I remember buying a bottle of the 98. I had never had it and bought it just so I could drink it, hopefully, in aournd 2012. Since then I have had Lafite dozens of times, but I still have that first bottle. Not sure what to do with it at this point. One thing I do know, it is unlikely I will ever be buying it again.

Sold my 1987 L. for 480 € !!!
[rofl.gif]

(just to be clear: ONE bottle, my last bottle !)

Last half case of '02 went off to Zachy’s for March. Just couldn’t rationalize drinking them for the pricetag tehy are fetching. The money will be going right back into Northern Rhones.

Have a '75 in the queue. I think I have a couple of others in storage, but all of “off” vintages, so I’ll keep them

I have been curious to try a '75, as that seems to mark a turnaround point for Lafite. I think they had Michel Rolland as the winemaker/consultant that year, or some other famous oenologist. I’ll have to check Parker’s Bordeaux book…