Is it wrong to have a side bottle?

If I am the host and providing the wine, all is fair game.
I’m talking about the events where others bring their “Chuck,” Bogle, Kangaroo and I am bringing my wine.
Although at such events I generally will not even bother with wine. That’s when I’ll bring beer.

I did this once and it left me feeling a little dirty. Now I just open whatever and if it’s something special, I make sure I get a glass and my wife gets a glass, after that it’s fair game.

this sounds like a great plot on a sitcom.

You have precedent - that’s why Nixon added the West Wing!

that’s a bit how I play it, typically. yesterday at a work lunch a colleague and I had a nice bottle of bubbly and I planned to do just this, my colleague had different ideas though and insisted she keep the good bottle hidden. flirtysmile

Nice - a body guard for your wine!

Sure, Ed. Next you’ll be suggesting we all get along on Thanksgiving Day. Damn do-gooders.

Seriously, I think this is the best suggestion here. I can’t really drink that much volume now so as long as the people who care about it get a slug of the wine I’m okay with it.

It isn’t wrong to do it. You are hosting the meal, you can serve what you want to who you want. I do think that one should put themself in the position of the person who isn’t getting the side bottle and then decide if you are still comfortable.

I was at a birthday party for a friend a few years ago and at the end of the night cigars and scotch came out. Three guys were hanging out apart from the group and had their side bottle of scotch, one called me over and told me I could have some, but that I couldn’t tell anyone about it. I found it pretty silly and politely declined. Rick hit the nail on the head. Put out some nice stuff that everyone can enjoy.

Say what you will about Tricky Dicky… but he was a wise, wise man. :slight_smile:

[oops.gif]

[wink.gif]

If having a side bottle is wrong, then I don’t wanna be right.

I’ve seen it done, but…it just doesn’t feel “right” on an occasion such as Thanksgiving. I can understand hooking up Aunt Tillie with an endless supply of white Zinfandel and letting her know that she’ll prefer that wine over the nasty, dry red wine the rest of us are having. But actually hiding bottles of wine from certain guests seems a bit, well, not in the holiday spirit.

Would you feel OK with hiding a special entree in the kitchen and inviting only some guests in to take a serving? I realize it’s hard to “hide” a serving of a special entree, but it seems just as odd to me.

If you have guests who you don’t think will appreciate “the good stuff,” then my inclination is to just put out a bunch of good,
but not uber expensive, wine that everyone can share.

Bruce

I’m in the Bruce and Rick camp here. It’s a tough meal and skulking around in the corners with my own “special” bottle seems not only selfish but just wrong.

I’m having Thanksgiving dinner by myself, but I’m cooking all the traditional stuff so I won’t even think about opening a “good” bottle. Cremant de Bourgogne rose for me and I’d serve the same thing to a crowd. I can’t imagine opening something really good when I won’t even open one of my bottles of '97 Cameron Abbey Ridge – and I don’t even have to share it!

Happy Thanksgiving Bob! I love me some Cremant… Cheers!
[cheers.gif]

Thank you, Ed. Backatcha!

[welldone.gif]

It’s a long drive, but you are welcome in Seattle and with a place to stay.

That’s really kind of you, Eric. Thank you.

I’ve done this a lot with my kids so far flung and I actually kind of enjoy it. [cheers.gif]

This is scarily like the “only the three of us know about the blow” at parties in my youth.

If justice is giving to each what he deserves, then you are being just. I would, of course, look for those among the mob that might appreciate a bit of something different.