Parker not in the Vinters Hall of Fame

+1

How many of you had ever heard of the Vintner’s Hall of Fame prior to this thread? I had not and my house is just two miles from Culinary Institute of America. IIt appears the HoF is relatively new with 2007 being the first year of inductees.

Just because RMP was not been inducted yet, doesn’t mean he won’t be. My opinion is the guy deserves it.

I wonder if Steve Edmunds would vote for him.

given that its purpose is to celebrate those “responsible for the growth and worldwide prestige of the California wine industry,” does he? The Chevalier de l’Ordre du Mérite Agricole made sense, given his promotion of French wines in the U.S. But California? I don’t see it.

For better or worse, can you think of anybody whose “contribution” to winemaking is as great as Parker’s? If winemakers have adjusted their style to suit his palate, his influence is far greater than Asher or Adams, neither of whom, changed the way wines were made in California.

I personally deplore what he has done, collect avidly old California wines before Parker screwed things up, but recognize the fact that his influence is as pervasive and as difficult to get rid of as a New York bed bug.

I don’t understand why this organization exists in the first place.

Maybe Parker can start his own wine critics hall of fame if he feels slighted.

I will start a wine enthusiast’s hall of fame and perhaps a wine board troll hall of fame.

I wonder if Dave Edmunds would vote for ABBA?

Explanation in post # 21.

Parker has been good for the business and bad for the wine. I’m sure the vintners have mixed feelings about this, which is why getting into the HoF on the 4th or 5th ballot would be a just outcome.

I don’t think Parker will ever get in the Hall of Fame. He’s liked too many wines on steroids.

[snort.gif]

1. Who is Linda Murphy, and why should we care?

2. If Parker pouts about this, the Bordelais will tell the president of France to give Parker whatever honors France has not already given him. Perhaps make him the honorary Generale de Brigade of the French Foreign Legion (actually called only “legion etrangere” in French, rather like Swiss cheese being called “Emmentaler” in Switzerland because, well, ALL cheese made in Switzerland is Swiss cheese to the natives!).

Touché!

He should be included - for him not to be hurts the “Vintners Hall of Fame” more than it hurts Parker…

LindaMurphy used to be the wine columnist for the SFChron afore she left (for whatever reasons). JonBonne is a much/much better writer
and as many more original thoughts than Linda ever had in her tenure.
She was then named as the Calif correspondent for Decanter magazine. Very much a lightweight compared to her predecessor, NormRoby,
whom I’ve followed from the very start w/ Vintage Magazine.
Her Decanter columns don’t have much interest to me, but then I think she’s writing more for a British audience.
Tom

Good background, Tom. Thanks. And if what you say about writing for a British audience is true, then she need not mention Parker, much less champion him for anything nobler than dogcatcher. I am reading Hugh Johnson’s A Life Uncorked, and I can tell you that he and Parker have no future as drinking buddies!

One thing interesting is that I submitted a comment the first day or so the article was mentioned (here) and it still (days later) hasn’t appeared online, which means no one (presumably Linda Murphy) has checked to read/approve the comments.

Knowing how disagreeable you are, Wilfred, they probably just didn’t like it. neener [berserker.gif]

[cheers.gif]

Matt, I would love to hear you expound on that proposition, cause I just don’t get it. How is the VHF - created by the Culinary Institute of America to “celebrate the men and women whose collective vision, determination, and hard work have been responsible for the growth and worldwide prestige of the California wine industry” - hurt at all by not inducting Parker?

I don’t think it hurts the Vintner Hall of Fame for Parker to not be inducted, but it would certainly help them if they inducted him and he came to the acceptance ceremony. He sells tickets.