Screaming Eagle 2007 in Redwood City Costco

I heard the same thing only difference is that the regional buyer lives in the Novato area.

FYI. These did not come from the winery.

A cauldron maybe?

I was more surprised to see so many people added to the mailing list a few months back. I don’t ever recall that happening before.

[rofl.gif]

Hank [cheers.gif]

Hank, Don’t encourage him [stirthepothal.gif]

neener

If it didn’t come from the winery (or a cauldron), it must have come from a distributor. I wonder if SE knows one of their distributors has hawked their stuff at the local Costco.

Tom,
This was posted on FB a couple days ago. I had a correspondence with a friend that works at the winery and it did not come from them, their sources, nor did I transport it there from my cauldron. They were shocked to see the pic of it at Costco.

I find it hard to believe a distributor would risk selling it to Costco for fear of angering the winery. I’m still convinced it was an under the table deal from a collector or restaurant. It wouldn’t be the first time Costco did something like that. I remember our local Costco bought a bunch of Herman Miller Aeron chairs from a failing company during the Dot Com bust and got in trouble from Corporate since they didn’t have a license to sell the chairs.

If you sell chairs you’re not authorized to the worst that can happen is the manufacturer will continue not to sell you chairs. If you sell wine that you didn’t obtain through the authorized channels then they can suspend or revoke your license to sell alcohol.

It could be from a distributor that is going out of business and therefore wouldn’t care about angering the winery.

Normally things like this happen when a wine is switching Distributors. This is their way of say adios muchachos !!!

That’s actually pretty funny

It’s a practice called “pissing in the pool” meaning a way to make it harder for the next guy. Quite common.

To drink it? Veblan goods don’t have to be rare - just look at Coach purses.

Gotta buy that. $1,500 a pop from a “legendary” vintage and rated 100 points. From a business standpoint, that’s a good grab. Here’s why: EBob has passed the torch. Galloni won’t have the same point-power that Bob did. And, he is far less likely to bestow 100 on a wine. We already know that the Jay Millers and Sucklings of the world do little for a wine’s marketability with a 100. So, the last vintage review by Bob is a legendary vintage, and he bestows a perfect score on the most renowned Napa Cult.

Sure, no one on this board cares about points and all that, so Rick, Keith and others, save the vitriol. From an objective standpoint, it makes sense to scoop the wine up to resell at a later date (at auction). It’s already moving for more than $1,500, will remain scarce, will remain 100 (an increasing rarity as Galloni takes over), and earned its acclaim from the Emperor of American Wine. This will increase in value. Significantly. And, you already have equity since its trading for more than $2200.

Pull the trigger and buy it all. Sell all but one bottle. Drink the last as a contingency fee earned. Use your profits unwisely.

Roberto, I’d heard this was legal and found this in the CA ABC code:

§ 23104.6. “Vintage wine” acquired from private
collection
(a) Any nonlicensed person owning bottled vintage
wine purchased by that person at retail, is authorized
to sell that wine to a licensee authorized to sell that
wine if each bottle has a permanently affixed label
stating that the wine was acquired from a private
collection.
(b) “Vintage wine,” as used in this section, means
bottled white, rose, or sparkling wine which is not less
than five years old or bottled red wine which is not less
than 10 years old.
Added Stats 1985 ch 421 § 1.

I guess you can buy it but must affix a oermanent label to it.

K &L uses the label.

Meh, I’ll spring for the Fogerty in the backround.

Interesting…I never did get to inspect the bottle so couldn’t tell you if they had stickers for sure but I am pretty sure they didn’t. I don’t think Costco has ever or would ever buy wine from a collector to resale.

Does anyone know who their distributor is? I don’t know why they would even have one in CA…all you need is an allocation manager…