TN: 2007 Ridge Geyserville (USA, California, Sonoma County)

Thanks for the note. LS and Geyserville are a must have every year. Great zin. I will have to try the York Creek.

Me too, and I bought 375s.

Prefer mags and 3.0L for this vintage and will drink them anytime over the next 25+ years.

Safeway in Northern California has the 2007 Ridge Geyserville and Lytton Springs on sale right now, if you have a Club Card, for $27.29. You get an extra 10% off if you buy six, which brings the price down to $24.56. Hard to beat at that price.

Thanks,
Ed.

Interesting, and I was hoping somebody else could comment on this? It seems contrary to what others in this thread are saying. I have never tried Ridges that old, but have cellared a case based ona pretty uniform description of what it tastes like with Age - and pruney is not it. This is what I would expect of a more traditional Zin as it gets past its prime.

Nothing wrong with that, but why not both?

Ridge Geysers are my biggest cellar-fillers, and like many, I prefer them after 10 years of age. However, a year ago I found the '07 a bit atypical–riper and more unidimensional (though still very good). Given the above note, perhaps it is time to sacrifice another.

My note:

November 08, 2009. More fruit-forward and primary than traditional Geysers, but still very rewarding and age-worthy. Opened alongside a 2000 Geyserville, which outshined the 07 in every respect. The 07 showed a beautiful nose but less complexity. Good acidity and wood, but still slightly disjointed. The next day, showed secondary notes and Draper perfume, but had a clipped finish. Substantial tannins suggest plenty of time for aging but, if not for Ridge’s consistent history, I’d be a bit worried about whether it will ever come together. Not that this isn’t a great wine, but the 07 Ridge hype suggested more. 90

The comparison above isn’t just due to the extra age on the 2000. The 07 to me was less interesting than several other Geysers at the same age.

I have had several moderately aged zins not from Ridge, including Carlisle Dry Creeks with five to ten years of age, and, to my palate, find no value in aging them (to be fair, I find these wines too ripe and candied at youth, too). The Ridge zins are an entirely different story and develop entirely different, claret-like characteristics with age, and hold up as excellent (though entirely different from their youth) wines at 10-20 years.

Pavillions in socal has 30% off all wines over $30 and another 10% if you buy any six.

I picked up the 08 for $21.10 each.