Short case

2009 Dom. J. Vullien, Vin de Savoie Montmelian:
11.5% alcohol and 100% jacquere; inviting nose of juicy fresh pear, flowers and rain water; medium bright in the mouth and a lovely texture, flavors echo the nose and a medium length, clean finish. Charming wine, with or without food. About $10.

1995 Laurel Glen, Cabernet Sauvignon Sonoma Mntn.:
Touch of brett, very young, earthy, smoky red fruit nose; almost angry on the palate, tannic, disjointed and angular - smoothed some over the evening but not enough, intense and drying finish. Needs another decade to round out but even then, I’m not sure this profile will be pleasing.

2008 Deep Sea, Sauvignon Blanc:
14.2% alcohol from Arroyo Seco; screaming grass/cat pee/perm solution nose; bright and crisp but hollow, unpleasant acidity that sent me running for a glass of water. At that alcohol, I expected ripe - I got pyrazine juice with so much spikey acid that it burned my throat. Like drinking hair-spray. $13.

2009 Tenuta Rapitala, Piano Maltese:
Scilian white of 50% grillo and 50% catarrato; bright, resinous, aromatically reminds me of Soave but is more angular and aggresive in the mouth; clean, acidic white with lots of potential with food and not much without it. Good with grilled chicken breasts.

2007 Dom. de Roally, Vire-Clesse Tradition:
13.5% alcohol and about $20; a rich yet vivid chardonnay that is simply as good as the grape gets. Depth, character, acidity, density and balance all in perfect harmony and evidencing the structure to age. ‘Can’t afford grand cru Chablis? You won’t do much better thn this. Do not over-chill.

2005 J.P. Brun, Moulin-a-Vent:
Showing quite open and fully developed - which is a surprise; aromatics include some bottle bouquet and an almost pinot-esque underbrush component; silky in the mouth with restrained fruit flavors and interesting secondary development, integrated, balanced and medium length. I would have expected this to be in a much younger phase but it gave the impression of being at, or past, peak.

2008 Roar, Pinot Noir Rosella’s Vnyd.:
A talcum powder element in the nose along with very sweet, ripe fruit; too sweet in the mouth for me and quite polished with little structure; although not flabby, there’s no cut or grip; moderate length. Not my style but I can understand this being liked by many.

2008 Donelan, Syrah Cuvee Christine:
14.9 % alcohol on the label but it came across fumey and and sort of disjointed; some smoky oak, some solid syrah flavors and texturally thick. If you like Oz shiraz, chances are, you’ll like this.

2008 Donelan, Syrah Griffin’s Lair:
Although having some of the same aromas and flavors as the Christine, this was focused, grippy, moderately restrained and considerably longer. Much better balance (or at least the perception of it) and much more my style of syrah. ‘Won’t be confused with the northern Rhone but certainly has some complexity and purity. I even got some sweet, smoked bacon smells and flavors toward the end of the evening. Nice.

2002 Huet, Vouvray Demi-Sec Le Mont:
Pear, stone and smoke but little sweetness and not very intense or concentrated. Pleasant, I suppose, and certainly less sweet then at release but not a wine I really wanted to drink. A bit thin.

Best, Jim

Jim,

I like the variety of wines you drink or at least post tasting notes on. From all over the world, young and old and in between, new world and old world.
Where do you buy your wines? As my cellar ages and matures I am going down the same path with variety. It is a fun hobby/obsession and really look forward to “wine time” around our house with new surprises nightly.
Thanks for all of your great/candid posts.

bummer to hear about the 2002 Huet…

Tom,
Thanks for reading.
A lot of what I drink these days either comes from my cellar or from other people’s largesse.
Living part of the year in Sonoma helps with the new world stuff. If I had to pick one source over all the others it would be Chambers Street Wines in NYC - incredible variety and quality, and the most knowledgeable staff I have encountered.

Mel,
They tell me the 2002 Huets are closing down - this bottle might have been evidence of that.

Best, Jim

Jim,
I like your way of describing wines that do not meet your style preference. You give people who might like the wine enough info to decide whether to look out for the label.

Argh, don’t let the Disorderist’s hear of this: I’m sure they will say this is just young and needs ‘age’

2002 Huet, Vouvray Demi-Sec > Le Mont> :
Pear, stone and smoke but little sweetness and not very intense or concentrated. Pleasant, I suppose, and certainly less sweet then at release but not a wine I really wanted to drink. A bit thin.

Surprised by this. Definately lighter than the Bourg, but thin? I’d agree this is not an intense wine, more light and delicate, but I’m still giving these the benefit of the doubt. Never smart to bet against the Huet name.

Thanks for the notes Jim…

2002 Huet… say it ain’t so!

I suppose they’re starting to shut down… you’ve successfully squashed any remaining inclination I’ve had to open one of these up in the near future.