2002 G. Roumier Bonnes Mares

Found this on a wine list for a relative bargain and decided to order it, notwithstanding that I knew it would be waaaaay too young. And it was, but still a real privilege to drink.

2002 G. Roumier ‘Bonnes Mares’ – translucent ruby to the rim; on the nose - initially some cabbage-y funk, and then after that blew off, violet, cherry, pine, rhubarb. In the mouth, a blast of acid and tannin at first, which mellowed over the few hours at dinner. Has that effect on the palate of weightless density common to pinot noir of great breed. A tremendous depth of red fruit and spice in the core, but locked up for now. Great with a game bird confit. A wine that should be tremendous in 10 years, and no doubt one that will last for many after that. One to stash in the back of your cellar if you’re lucky enough to have a stash.

Great TN. I have had this wine at or soon after release in most vintages since 1992. The 2002 was especially forthcoming and enjoyable at a stage when it is usually very difficult to taste. Good to know it has shut down since we have been tempted to revisit it given how generous it was in its early days.

Thanks, Tom. It was a treat to drink, and I can only imagine what a nice wine it was on release, and what a beautiful wine it will be in a decade. Unless you have a lot – does anybody have a lot?? – probably best to let it sleep. I’d love to try a mature example from a vintage like 1978…

Dan,

Nice note and very jealous.

We cracked the 1979 Clos Vougeot a couple weeks ago and it was freaking great.

Where was dinner?

Morning,

Many thanks for the note. I have only tried this wine from cask (so far) and when in that young and delightful state it curled my hair with its sophistication and beauty. I know what you mean about weightless density, definitely a character of this wine.

The only Roumier 2002 I’ve had recently was a Chambolle 1er les Cras. That was tighter than a ducks nipsy but it was clearly a grown-up wine of style and class.

Enjoy those quality Burgundies!
David.

We were at Rover’s. Some of the dishes were great, some only so-so. For that kind of dinner experience in Seattle, I think I prefer Canlis. I think that, these days, I’d just as soon eat Peking duck at Harbor City BBQ.

How was the 79 CV? I don’t think I’ve ever had a 79 burg.

duplicate post

doh! duplicate again…

Yes, I had a somewhat similar experience with the 99 Les Cras fairly recently. It was also quite tight but had a really pleasant and refreshingly pure red fruitiness, and it didn’t have nearly as much angularity or acidity as the Bonnes Mares. Nevertheless, I vowed not to touch the rest of my too-small stash.

Don’t have a stash but a few. Pleased it has more potential/power than I would expect from 02.

David, similar experience with the 02 Roumier Ruchottes-Chambertin. BTW, what is a ‘ducks nipsy’? [scratch.gif]

Morning,

A duck’s nipsy is water-tight.

Cheers,
David.