2009 Beaujolais recommendations for a newbie? (updated with TNs)

Hi all,

I’ve scoured this forum, Keith’s webpage, and a few other sources looking for some good introductions to Beaujolais. This seems to be one region I’ve never really gotten into (save a few Michel Tete, Clos de la Roillette, and J-P Brun/Terre Dorees wines), but nothing has really blown my mind. With 2009 being hailed as a benchmark vintage, this seems like a good time to revisit the Gamay grape.

I’m thinking of picking up some Foillard Morgon Cote du Py, Tete Julienas Clos du Fief, and Terre Dorees Ancien as starters, but I’d love to hear what’s impressed everyone the most from this vintage.

Bring it on! pileon

cheers,
scott

I haven’t had a lot (not nearly as much as some here) of 09 so far, but the Vissoux/Chermette lineup really blew me away.

All the names you say you’ve tried and are considering are good in general, and reputedly good in 09. Comments on 09 Beaujolais here so far are pretty extensive; if you’ve scoured them, using the search function, you probably already have 98% of what you’re asking for in this thread.

2009 Beaujolais - WOWSERS!!! - WINE TALK - WineBerserkers" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Another 2009 Beaujolais - WINE TALK - WineBerserkers" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Another World Class 2009 Beaujolais! - WINE TALK - WineBerserkers" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

TN: 2009 Domaine des Terres Dorées (Jean-Paul Brun) Beaujolais Nouveau l' Ancien Vieilles - WINE TALK - WineBerserkers" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

TN: 2009 Daniel Bouland Morgon Delys (France, Burgundy, Beaujolais, Morgon) - WINE TALK - WineBerserkers" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

2009 Beaujolais - Shout them out... - WINE TALK - WineBerserkers" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

TN: 2009 Vignerons de la Cave de Bel-Air Beaujolais-Villages Aurore - WINE TALK - WineBerserkers" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

TN: 2009 Beaujolais - WINE TALK - WineBerserkers" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

TN: 2009 Perraud Cotes de la Molieres Beaujolais Villages - WINE TALK - WineBerserkers" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

TN: 2009 Marcel Lapierre Morgon (France, Burgundy, Beaujolais, Morgon) - WINE TALK - WineBerserkers" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

2009 Chateau de Lavernette Beaujolais Villages - WINE TALK - WineBerserkers" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

TN: 2009 Marcel Lapierre Morgon (France, Burgundy, Beaujolais, Morgon) - WINE TALK - WineBerserkers" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Another Great 2009 Beaujolais - WINE TALK - WineBerserkers" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

TN: Oh no, not another 2009 Beaujolais - WINE TALK - WineBerserkers" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Terres Dorées (Brun) 2009 Beaujolais l'Ancien Vieilles Vignes - WINE TALK - WineBerserkers" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

TNs: 2009 Beaujolais (Brun, Coquelet, Jadot, Lapierre, Perraud, more) - WINE TALK - WineBerserkers" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

TN- 2009 Jean-Paul Brun Beaujolais L'Ancien Vieilles Vignes - WINE TALK - WineBerserkers" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

TN: 2009 Joseph Drouhin Morgon (France, Burgundy, Beaujolais, Morgon) - WINE TALK - WineBerserkers" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thanks guys (and Robert for the extensive links),

Yes, I did do a search before posting, and came across most of these threads already. I guess what I’m asking, rather than for specific tasting notes on specific wines (which I can find here, or in CT, or in a lot of places), is what wines really stand out from the crowd. We’ve had a few threads on “Rieslings for the inexperienced” recently, and the OPs got what I thought was very helpful “synopses” of benchmark wines. That’s pretty much what I’m asking for here, so I will amend the thread title accordingly.

cheers,
scott

I still think what you’re asking for is conveyed in the chat Robert pulled together for you. If you’re deciding what you’d like to stock for yourself, not meaning to condescend, personally I think you’d best serve your interest by buying a mixed case or two of the wines named by various board members and tasting through them over a week or two. Reading individuals’ write-ups thoughtfully and tasting for yourself will almost certainly give you a better cellar than, say, selecting consensus favorites.

Another idea: put together a list of producers from threads cited above and set up a poll.

Anyway, I don’t think you’ll go far wrong with the ones you named in your first post.

Hi Ian,

Thanks for the ideas. I went back and found a thread (#6 in Robert’s list) in which John Gilman’s excellent post above responded to a similar inquiry as mine made by Eric LeVine. I found this information extraordinarily useful. But, as this was posted back in June (before or at the time that the '09s were just starting to hit the US market), I haven’t yet found a more recent synopsis. Anyway, maybe I’m asking for too much here.

I’ll pick up some Coudert, Foillard, Michel Tete, and/or Terre Dorees and report back with notes next week. Or better yet, maybe I’ll pop in to Chambers St. and pick their brains.

cheers,
scott

Edit: Not taken as condescending, but your suggestion of buying a mixed case or two is probably a bigger commitment than I’d like to make at this point, considering I have limited experience with this type of wine. A few representative or choice selections is what I’m after, and if I dig 'em, then maybe I’ll go long.

Try Lapierre Morgon or Foillard Côte du Py Morgon. My favorites, anyway.

Thanks Peter, these are two that seem to be at the top of many people’s lists. It also seems like if Kermit-Lynch is the importer, you’ll do pretty well with what’s in the bottle. Is the Lapierre you liked the sulphured or “normale” version? There seems to be some mixed experiences with some lots former, especially those sourced from the greater NY area.

cheers,
scott

Someone had an issue with two bottles of Lapierre. I’ve had 4 bottles of the sulfured Lapierre, 2 of which came from NYC shops, the rest in MA with no issues. It was likely a bad bottle(s) problem. Happens to everyone sooner or later. You won’t find the non-sulfured version on the east coast.

John’s summary is still valid even 7 months later. Finding some of the wines may be a little more difficult now, but they are likely all still out there. For my part I have really enjoyed Foillard Cote du Py, Brun Morgon, Brun Moulin-a-Vent, Roillette Fleurie, Jadot Chateau de Jacques Moulin-a-Vent and a number of others so far. It’s a very easy to like vintage, though not all vintages are going to be like 2009. '06, '07 and '08 all have something to recommend them, but they are nothing like '09.

Not to deadhorse but my fave right now, confirmed by another bottle (S) on Wed night, is the Lapierre Morgon.
Despite its youth, and recommendations from JG and others that it’s got better days ahead, it’s a racy beast right now. A fun ride imo.
I can still find it locally, too, which is nice as I keep reloading.

I’ve only had the (lightly) sulfured Lapierre, which I got from Grand Cru in IL. IIRC Crush in NYC had it also, tho a bit more expensive.

Chambers is a very good resource, for sure.

So here’s my first foray into '09 Bojo. Good stuff! Next up, Lapierre Morgon, with Michel Tete Fleurie and Jadot Moulin-a-Vent Chateau des Jacques also on deck.

• 2009 Jean Foillard Morgon Côte du Py - France, Burgundy, Beaujolais, Morgon (1/13/2011)
    A beguiling nose of spicebox, sandalwood, lavender, tart cherries and hints of white pepper. Flavors of cranberry, cedar, cherry, and a bit of black olive. Really complex, elegant, and with a weightlessness from the bright acidity. Outstanding with a tuscan vegetable and veal meatball soup with crusty bread, but also quite fine on its own. I’d planned to sample this over several days to track its evolution, but this is a mighty tasty drink! An expressive gamay that is full of character. A bit pricey at $30 full retail, but when you consider this is the upper echelon of beaujolais at sub-village level burgundy prices, it’s good value. (91 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

Right, but they were out of the Lapierre last I checked…

For an intro into Cru Boo, I wouldn’t seek out 09’s. Tasty, but atypical wines. Should be able to find 08’s still lurking around. Lapierre, Morgon, JP Brun, Foillard, etc…

…08 Daniel Bouland

Lapierre’s a good example of why it pays to try for yourself: his wine is popular, but he doesn’t work that well for me, personally, and I don’t buy his wines. In the same vein, Gilman names Dupeuble (sp?) as an excellent maker, but for me his wiines are so-so.

If you are sampling, gotta go with the Drouhin Morgon. A fantastic little QPR, and much cheaper than the “big boys” cited above! An easy BTC purchase.

Try Domaine de Colette Régnié Sélection Vieilles Vignes…for $11 it’s not complex by any means, but such a nice and easy drinker. Best word to describe it is “pleasant.” As much as I hate to be a follower, I have to say the '09 Lapierre Morgon is up there on the list as one of my favorites, but I’m no expert.