Is Snooth scraping data from CellarTracker?

http://www.vintank.com/2011/01/is-snooth-scraping-data-from-cellartracker/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Took a while to end up here.

Hope there is an explanation.

Wow.

Horribly, horribly disappointing. My lawyer is NOT amused.

I always wondered why unreviewed wines in Snooth had user tags. always thought they were entered by the person entering the wine. I was under the impression that ITB’s and consumers enter wine into Snooth and add tags. That would explain seeing 4 entries for the same wine/bottling/vintage with slightly different titles.

Double WOW. hitsfan [popcorn.gif]

No good will come of this. Mabray is claiming they are already changing the tags he found to be suspect.

Have they made any response yet?

Snooth welcomes two new companies
Posted by Philip, Apr 10, 2007.
Yesterday was a busy day as Wine.com and CellarTracker both agreed to work with Snooth.

Wine.com, the worlds largest online wine retailer
CellarTracker provides cellar management tools and has the worlds largest collection of tasting notes (over 250,000).

We’re very excited to be involved with both companies and encourage you to stay tuned for more announcements soon.

Read more: > http://www.snooth.com/talk/topic/snooth-welcomes-two-new-companies/#ixzz1C0CHtDeH> " onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

What kind of “work together” is this alleged data scraping

Do you limit the number of HTTP requests based on IP address? Search engines do this so that no one can scrape their data.

I thought you were allowing this Eric or had made some sort of deal with them; I noticed this a while ago.

Gene, no deals.

When Snooth launched in 2007 they were briefly using my tasting note feed (or claiming to but seemed to be scraping my whole site in fact) until I asked them to stop, back in 10/2007. However all the examples in the blog article are from notes generated in the last 3 weeks. CT has grown from 250,000 notes to more than 1.7 million. It would appear that there is very active scraping still going on if Paul is true. (Several of the notes he cites are actually MY notes from my recent dinner with Jancis and even one wine I had to create from scratch which is now on their site. How does that happen?!?!)

Berry, I have looked at some crawling counter-measures, but it is very tricky (and can block legitimate activity). I would also rather spend my time adding features for users and not mess around with lawsuits and other such stuff. This is pretty darned blatant though…

Between this and the sales traffic not being directed to Bolen’s site (which has now been fixed)-- This doesn’t look good at all.

[dance-clap.gif]

Get em Eric!

No.

Interesting corollary. From 1-24-11 What’s Cooking (arm of Snooth) is their What’s Hot/What’s Not in 2011

NOT: Cupcakes, gourmet cupcakes, gourmet mini-cupcakes. How far can you milk a trend? I would like to see sugar-encapsulated micro cupcakes sold side by side with Skittles and M&Ms! Seriously, cupcakes have gotten wildly out of hand. We like them for the creamy frosting (remember muffin tops?), so why don’t we just get some of that in small paper cone? Seriously, why am I paying $5 for a scoop of baked dough and topped with butter cream? For that kind of money, not to mention calories, I’d rather have a Napoleon, Linzer torte, or personal cherry pie. Hmmm, personal pies… hot in 2012?

From NPR 1-2-11:
_Cupcakes Are Dead. Long Live The Pie!
by BONNY WOLF

Pie is the next cupcake. PIE IS THE NEW CUPCAKE. Spread the word.
January 2, 2011

“Every year, I predict the death of the cupcake. I’m always wrong.

But this year, they’ll have real competition from the humble pie. Trend-spotters are calling pie the food of the year. Texas and New York restaurants offer pie happy hours. Pies are showing up at weddings, and pie shops are opening in a neighborhood near you. Pies come in sweet and savory, maxi and mini, deep dish and deep-fried.

If pies are the new cupcakes, New York Magazine says,

snip

Whatever you eat, save room for a slice o_f pie.”

Just sayin…

+1

Wow. This is pretty low.

Coming from public schools where the issue of plagiarism is always just below the surface, I have only seen one instance of such blatant intellectual theft. Frankly, this is shocking.

Unsubscribing from Snooth today.

Eric, I hope you get what you deem as appropriate restitution out of this.

Monte

They also lift images from Cellartracker. There are bottles images which I put up on CT and clearly show my backyard and picnic table in them. I asked Snooth to remove them back in '07 and was effectively told to go away.

The spider crawl stealing of keywords is funny in places. They have taken where I have written ‘lacks complexity’ and assigned it the keyword of ‘complex.’ I know it is stolen from my note as the word order is identical as are the other descriptors. They did get smarter at a point and remove more obscure words I used like ‘eldritch’ but have left words like lanolin.

A.

As I said on FB and CT Forum, they are stealing from every CT user that takes the time to post notes and images with the intent to make CT better.

Say it with me…Class Action

<<>>

What a scumbag way to run a business. Who runs Snooth anyway? This type of crap make me want to take a shower. Eric, sorry you have to even deal with idiocy like this.