Suckling at Spottswoode: The Movie

http://www.jamessuckling.com/spottswoode-2005-2006-2007-2008-2.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

“the juice will be coming ooooout…”

What is the deal with the scarf?

Suckling aside, I’m excited about the '08

Indeed, unlikely I will buy a case like I did with the 2007, but it will certainly be my largest Cab purchase of the year.

I was wondering the same thing about the scarf

and it looked like he was consulting an ipad for his notes

Keeping Suckling out of it…the 2008 is another beautiful wine and I am looking forward to the release.

Cheers!
Marshall [cheers.gif]

I’m excited for the release of the 08 as well. Has anyone heard of a tentative release date?

I’m 95 points on Beth Novak Miliken’s remarkable ability to refrain from smacking the taste out of James Suckling’s mouth during that segment.

As to Spottswoode, great wines.

I’m not sure how much of it gets into distribution, but they have a second wine called Lyndenhurst that retails for about $60. I’ve seen it in restaurants for around $100. Great wine for the price.

Me too, I’m excited to try the wine. I’ve been buying since the late '90s and rarely has there been a vintage I’ve not liked. Even '98 and '00 had a charm to them.

Spottswoode is the bomb but Suckling is a complete freaking dandy in this video. dc.

Spottswoode, yes. Suckling, no. I’m not sure there’s a more pompous, pretentious buffoon in the industry. He makes me want to smack him with a nerf bat. I’m 98 on that!

A video of a visit to Spottswoode that consists of him reading his TN’s off of a computer. Riveting. [boredom.gif]

The scarf: I’m 62 on that. I can’t wait for Jorge to weigh in.

The (what I thought was a) faux accent made me want to punch him in the mouth, but I said maybe he is foreign born.

I looked and found this:

Born in Los Angeles, California, as an undergraduate Suckling read political science and journalism at Utah State University. After graduating from Utah State University, Suckling studied journalism at the University of Wisconsin, Madison where he was hired in 1978 by a local paper as a crime news gofer. Having completed his course in journalism at the University of Wisconsin he moved to San Diego, and through the influence of his father began to be interested in the world of wine.

Napa Vol-ley? Cabernet Sav-i-Yawwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwn (which he later pronounces differently while tasting)? The scarf? Reading from an i-pad? Sticking with the, “i’m X points on that!”

It’s too bad these aren’t parodies because they would be really funny. They capture the essence of why the wine world is so off-putting to many.

To keep this on topic, Spottswoode is mighty fine and i’m looking forward to the 08.

Obviously, the scarf is just a little something for the ladies!

OMG, the pomposity and feigned sense of culture is beyond belief. I at first thought these skits were parodies. He shows up to these esteemed wineries, and reads to them his notes and scores as if he is blessing them. Wow.

The scarf is there to keep his ego warm.

Welcome back jim, it’s been a while since I seen you around this woods!

I love their wines, they age very well!

I agree. But it makes you wonder why Suckling is wearing the scarf, instead of a lady!

Get a quilt…

I still say he looks like the creep from Silence of The Lambs in that clip. [help.gif]

Oh, I’m 97 point on that comment!
[welldone.gif]