Why Burgundy

In light of recent (and reoccurring) threads, and encouraged by a great comment by Rick Gregory, it seems a good time to discuss why we ARE interested in Burgundy. Please keep in mind that the purpose of this thread isn’t to display anything other that what is proposed in the subject line.
[cheers.gif]

the combination of sensual and intellectual aspects of the wines intertwined with the history and people of the region have fascinated and intrigued me for about a quarter century. There are so many levels on which many of the wines may be approached that it provides for me endless interest. It tastes pretty good, too . . .
alan

Hi Ray,

Because (when it’s really on) it makes me happy.

I know that seems stupidly simple, but I just get more of an emotional jolt more often from burgs. The ability great wine can have to transport one. Also the geeky combo of the basic (2 grapes), and the complex (whoa…figure out Burgundy!). Endlessly fascinating.

Just a start for now.

With Burgundy there are a daunting amount of specific vineyards. For the most part, due to the beyond complex geological composition, each one of these has a different characteristic that they may display. Sure, each vigneron or vinificateur does things however they wish further complicating what results may be produced. Though, by nature, these vineyards are inherently different to a meaningful degree from their neighbors, and at times they can be polar opposites.

What I find interesting in this is that I can imagine that I will never know a meaningful amount in this region, there will always be a strong feeling of mystery and intrigue, with a great many things to try to figure out. For me, this is intriguing and it has compelled me to be rather obsessive. Over the years, I have tried to incorporate new tastes in my tiny set of wines, though with a good percentage of the Burgundy that I open, I still get that excitement, sense of learning, and really the connection that I haven’t felt from any other type of wine.

There are of course many examples of Burgundy that do not deliver all of what I had hoped for, whatever the reason may be (generally, a difference of opinion in oak or extraction), but there is still something to be learned in this as well. For my tastes, it seems easier for me to understand how a specific piece of land expresses itself when there isn’t too much emphasis on Making wine, rather than Growing Grapes that will one day be wine.

Taking no small part in this is the sensuality and pure intensity that the wines can exhibit. The perfume on a beautiful red Burgundy (the mature reds can do amazing things) can stay on my mind like few things can. The mouthfeel that can be experienced is also something remarkable. In each village, there are hallmarks of perfume and mouthfeel to such a dizzying degree that it has encouraged me to care for and research more about a specific place which consistently displays such characteristics. This aspect of encouragement to learn/research is something that really speaks to me.

It has to be said, this obsession pre-dates my situation which clearly marks my feelings as completely and utterly biased.

[cheers.gif]

For most of the time, Burgundy is a pleasure; a sensual easy wine, with great complexity, dancing lightly on the palate and matching what is on the table beautifully. Occasionally, very occasionally, Burgundy reaches heights no other wine can get close to, a breathtaking wine that in its sheer brilliance takes you outside normal parameters, analysis and all the other things we do with wine, and gives you a temporary glimpse of immortality.

echoing Mark’s comments, occasionally I opine about “epiphany wines,” Burgundy wines–so far the only genre that for me has epiphany wines–where the heavens open up as I drink the wine, two angels come down and lift me onto their shoulders and fly me about the room for a brief time . . . 90 Leroy Musigny, 45 Vogue Musigny, 86 Ramonet Montrachet . . .
alan

My perspective here is one of a freshman weight, as I don’t enough experience to color my answer with a level of broad colors. I can say that I am fascinated by the history and tremendous passion that surrounds these wines. It would seem these wines stick a hook into some and these people get pulled into a place without an end point. I suppose that kind of journey could be articulated on the hobby of drinking and seeking wines in general, but for me it seems to be quite inherent and richly shown when it’s attached to the topic of Burgundy. Look no farther then some on this board to illustrate my example.

I like these wines because they represent something new, they seem to have exhibited for me a discovered set of flavors and attributes that spoke to me and I am fascinated by learning more. Where my own palate and preferences were headed seem to intersect at the time Burgundy crossed my path. Part of what makes it also compelling is the cost to discover the journey, for some (me included) it is self-limiting; paying to take the journey seems to slow down the journey’s speed and that seems to create more of that passion to keep walking forward. Aggravating but exciting.

To misquote Walter Pater ‘all wine aspires to the condition of burgundy’. Some occasionally get there when they are old enough, but for me life is too short not to concentrate on the best and most fascinating of wines(at all its levels, of course), though I do drink other things sometimes simply because Burgundy doesn’t suit all food.

You could avoid those foods that Burgundy doesn’t suit Tom.

Burgundy at its best is – at least for me – sensual and intellectually challenging (both in enjoying the wines and in the sheer complexity of understanding the growers, vineyards, vintages and history). And then there’s the fact that finding Burgundy’s best is not a simple matter, and for me that elusiveness heightens the adventure of finding that ethereal experience; it simply doesn’t come too easily.

To me there are few wines that show vintage, vineyard and producer all in one package as burgundy. Then combine that with balance, weight, mouthfeel, texture and deft fruit… It’s hard to find something similar.

More than anything Pinot Noir grown on the cote d’or produces wines with my favorite flavor, aroma and bodyweight. No other wine/location combination produces such perfumed, delicious and beautiful wines for me. That would be enough to make the wines my favorites but the added intellectual gratification inherent in terroir signature being transmitted by the wines and highly delineated crus pushes it to an even higher level.

I also like that with few exceptions Burgundy producers are farmers first and winemakers second. I think this manifests itself in the soul of the land more than any other wine. I also notice this phenomenon with German Riesling. There is some authentic and real about these wines.

Lastly, (and this is something I rarely talk about due to embarrassment) I find the wines can often give me a sense of connectedness to something greater than myself. I can think of no other food or beverage experience that transends aesthetics and flirts with spirituality. Its sounds very silly to even write about it but burgundy quite literally seems like it can sometimes be a vehicle for the energy of something greater than myself.

Because it makes me cool and chicks will dig me. :slight_smile:

OK Seriously.

1. It’s the most versatile wine. I believe it matches best with most food.
  2. The breadth of the hierarchy is also versatile. I can drink bourgogne rouge or village wines during the week and save the better crus for special occasions.
  3. The history is amazing. It’s fascinating to continue to learn about this subject. When Bordeaux was a swamp and Napa valley hadn’t seen a settler yet ready to cultivate grapes they already were figuring out which vineyards were superior.
  4. Being a small business man almost my entire I love the fact that Burgundy is still mainly a small Domaine business.

Burgundy appeals to both sides of the brain. The vast numbers of vineyards and crus allows endless research of both the vertical and horizontal (left brain) and the wines themselves are beautiful, nuanced, melodic, and (let’s face it) unpredictable, lending a degree of mystery and chance (right brain). For me anyway, this combination is irresistible. The experience of opening each bottle is like the unveiling of the meaning of a poem.

Cheers,
Doug

Not surprisingly, I completely agree with you on this Berry, especially the last bit. There is indeed a connection that I feel out here as well. And being amongst this land that has been cultivated for at least 2000 years makes one feel like you are in the presence of something much bigger and more important than one person.

hard for me to find something new to say that hasn’t been mentioned, but the top reason is its the only region that produced an ‘epiphany’ experience for me… I never considered having a cellar of more than a case or 2 until I drank a Musigny. Burgundy seems to hit more senses than others more dramatically and is more thought provoking than other wines and it’s not clear why… Also, its difficult for me to drink and enjoy 14% alcohol + and Burgundy is typically under that. I like the history, the complexity of the vineyards and appellations, it taps into my ‘topophilia’ more than any other wine region… Also, I don’t understand it and that keeps me going back for more of all the above…

For me it’s less spiritual than others.

First, I find myself enjoying fresher, lighter wines than what I preferred in the past, and burgundy fits that need perfectly. Second, I enjoy it on an intellectual level. There is so much to learn, and I love a good challenge.

I will make my first pilgrimage next week; perhaps the spiritual aspect will follow. I doubt it though, it’s not in my makeup, really.

Why Burgundy ?

Why not Burgundy ? flirtysmile

+1. I’m new to Burgundy, but love learning about the endless different sites and terroir. It’s amazing to me that 2 wines can be so different but the vines are literally right next to each other. I wish I discovered the region earlier when prices weren’t so crazy, but better late than never. I’ve never had a “spiritual” experience either, with any kind of wine. Maybe I’m too much of a scientist, too left brained…or maybe I haven’t had the right wine at the right time. Also, I love not being super confused when I look at a wine menu heavy on Burgs. I wish I had the breadth of knowledge that all of you have, but the journey to get there will surely be fun. Burgundy is now on my must visit list.

Because it tastes good(?) Is that too simple an answer?