What do you do with German Riesling Auslese?

I tend to keep them several years and often use them as aperitifs. If I serve them with food, I have them with Oriental food or even with ham. I had a '93 Rheingau Auslese with a dish consisting of chicken thighs, soy sauce and honey. The match was excellent. How do you use yours at table?

Rick

Older Auslese are good with bold or spicy food. I use modern style Auslese as sipping wine and don’t really have too many with dinner.

Maybe with a fruit dessert such as peach pie or peach cobbler.

It’s hard to generalize with auslese. Some work as table wines, others are for dessert.

I would avoid that because you don’t want to have the two sweet things competing. There’s a real danger the wine will taste lousy. Maybe with unsweetened fruit, but conventional desserts are dangerous with sweet wines. A relatively unsweet almond or walnut cake is a good foil, though.

As Auslese dry out, they can work wonderfully with smoked fish of any sort. Or as an aperitif.

What to do with German Auslesen? I drink them!!!

The ones from Weil, AJ Adam, Catoir or basically anything from 2006 - treat as dessert wines and drink them after a meal.

Among the lighter/botrytis-free Auslese (from the likes of Kruger-Rumpf, Grunhaus, Selbach, Christoffel) - if younger, I’ll open them with moderately spiced food (North Indian, Szechuan, Thai). With older ones where the sweetness has started to fade, I’ll try and pair them with a relatively simple meal (pork tenderloin, roast game birds) that’ll allow the wine to take center stage.

I serve them with the cheese plate, I’ve found that it went incredibly well with many cheeses.

I like that you find these moderately spiced. Have some more qong qing chicken.

But what do you do with your Egon Muller auction auslese?

I had things like the gui zhou chicken or the shredded beef with green pepper in mind when I said that, not the weaponized chicken dish!

I’ve heard there’s chicken in there somewhere.

I’ll bookmark that photo for the “What do you do with German TBA” thread.

Turkey
Chicken
Duck
Pheasant … seeing a theme here :wink:

Lobster
Crab
Swordfish

Chinese stir-fry
Thai food (curries, stir-frys)

Epoisses

{nothing} – drink on its own!

Brian, you reminded me how good Auslese is with Duck a L’Orange. Yum.

I have them when I’m having “snack” type things. Like smoked duck breast, a few cheeses, maybe some sausage, maybe some duck or goose liver, etc. That ends up being supper many a night and sweet wines go really well with those things.

In a wine bistro tonight and evaluating buying a few older Rieslings…TN from Grafstrb = Good wine. Too bad it was priced at 300% CT Avg Value… [swearing.gif]

which wine was it, scott?

really hope you didn’t pass on the 1990 Karthäuserhof Eitelsbacher Karthäuserhofberg Riesling Auslese #13 — that wine rocks!

my sentiments exactly. if i’ve got a good deutsche auslese, all i need is a glass.

You need a glass?