2006 Lot 106 Syrah, Cameron Hughes, Sonoma Mountain

This wine is a great value at Costco, $10, for a high quality wine. Fruit forward, full-bodied, smooth tannins and velvety finish. It’s a winner. Great fruit from Sonoma Mountain. Worth three times the price.

I’ve actually wondered about some of these Cameron Hughes wines from Costco. At an entry fee of $10, it deserves a look - particularly this bottle that now already has a good review.

(p.s. - PM sent about username…)

they had a good meritage 2-3 years ago but it’s been real hit and miss for me. I’d be interested in trying their 2007 Carneros Pinot

The Cameron Hughes wines have been really hit and miss. I think that the domestics perform better than the imports though. My problem is the overly aggressive reps that they have at Costco schlepping the stuff.

And Jan Manni of The Wine Attic may be one of those Costco Reps…

http://www.thewineattic.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thanks Tony…

Jan? Is that true?

We don’t mind ITB’ers here, quite the contrary, we welcome them, but we sincerely hope that all feedback and reviews posted are not done so in a manner that is less than forthcoming. Please do let us know if you are one of the reps for this wine - and a simple disclaimer is all that is needed.

I don’t know if it is true but linking on Jan’s blog, you see a snapshot of her Facebook status that says she will be at the Citrus Heights Costco on Friday.

http://thewineattic.blogspot.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If she’s not, Cameron should pay her for it :wink:

http://twitter.com/thewineattic" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Her Twitter shows that she’s showing Cameron Hughes wines, so I guess, unfortunately, this was a shill.

Jan, please change your signature to something ITB so we know, and when you push a wine that you represent, please include a disclaimer as the other ITB’ers do.

Well, to continue the original thread, I bought a Cameron Hughes GSM at the SLO Costco a couple of months ago, and it was VERY simple. It basically tasted like cherry juice. Nothing wrong with it if you like cherry juice and need nothing more than that from your wine, but a bit too simple for my tastes. It was only about $8 though, so I guess you can’t expect too much.

many moons ago I got a scathing yelp message from an employee of CHW for going into detail about my hit and miss wines from CHW. Can’t expect everyone to like every $10 wine produced, but I appreciate the fervor the employees have for their product

The only ones I had were the 2005 Napa cabs that he sold a while ago and I bought a mixed 6 pack as a test. $14 each including shipping and not one worth it. Not “bad” for the price, but nothing more than I would expect for the price. I’d just as soon buy a bottle of Sebastiani cab for a few dollars less.

As for this thread, it seems way below what Cameron would find acceptable based on previous dealings. While one may quibble with the quality of a wine, this type of shiill posts are disgusting in my opinion. And counterproductive - while I would have been willing to buy another CH wine if I saw it at Costco, as opposed to having to ship it, I would almost certainly pass after this kind of trickery. I am guessing that Cameron is not aware of it.

I’ve found the whites to be superior to the reds each time but this could easily have a GREAT deal to do with the fact I drink them asap and the reds could easily need to settle down - even if it’s a year or so.

I’ve found the cali chards to have great green apple notes with excellent acidity - which is what I like in my ‘easy’ drinking white wine bins.

I have found the best CH wines to be syrahs. He had a Sonoma syrah that was outstanding – doubly so when only $10-$12/btl. Haven’t been as impressed with the cabs on the whole.