White Truffles

Got some coming…now, how about some creative ideas. Done the risotto and simple pasta prep…thoughts?

JD

How bout a flat bread pizza with mushrooms, caramelized shallots, fontina cheese and shaved truffles. I know you said you’ve done the risotto thing, but you could go for a cream based tagliolini pasta dish. Heck, scrambled eggs with truffles would be good to.

Teeny bit off topic, but fascinating conundrum:

Ah, tempura truffles? Serve a small basketful to each diner. Alongside a fontina fondue to dip the nuggets into. Yum!

John,

If you don’t mind me asking, where did you get them from ?

I just got an email re. the upcoming white truffle dinner at Valentino.
They’re doing a repeat of a couple of dishes, including the fantastic ravioli.
They do a ravioli filled with a light ricotta filling and a qail egg-yolk, cooked and topped with a hazelnut-truffle-butter sauce plus shaved white truffles. The taste and decadence of this dish are amazing.

how much is it? melisse is doing it for $380

$200 (plus tax & grat) which is a good deal and IIRC $50 pp less than the last one I went to.
It’s amuse, 4 truffle courses, cheese, dessert; paired with wines. The wine says Dogliani wines, but I think thats the family name for Batasiolo. They did the wines last time and were decent. Eg a barolo and then a single-vin barolo. We brought a couple of wines too. They didn’t scrimp on the truffles.

http://www.urbanitrufflesonline.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Did the risotto thing again and it rocked. Have some left for something tonight.

JD

thanks

Very nice! We are heading to drago centro for their white truffle menu at the end of the month

Fonduta and Bagna Cauda are both traditional dishes that sometimes incorporate white truffles; and they are delicious.

I like to make a creamed cauliflower soup with white truffle.

At L’Atelier Robuchon in Paris, pasta with white truffles is €150. We asked for a half portion to share (we ate the menu), but they wouldn’t do it. Looked fantastic. We had plenty to eat without it. But it looked awfully good. As a consolation (and without request), they served me an extra portion of Robuchon mashed taters with a healthy shaving. I hope the white truffles in the US are as good!

John,

What did you think of the product?

Paul

We enjoyed them quite a bit. Good quality and we would re-order. We used a different source last year (honestly don’t remember) and were less than thrilled.

Hope that helps…

JD

If you have any left over you can chop them and mix them with softened butter and freeze this.Then you can have truffled pasta at a later date that’s almost as good.We do this every time we go to Peidmonte and it works well.