The Bomb Morels

Good things in this thread!!

#1… Never soak the shrooms

#2… See #1 [thankyou.gif]

#3… never peel the garlic… leave the skin on!!

awesome crispyness!!!

The Final!!

That looks great. Given the color I assume you fried them and then dusted with seasoning, but I don’t see the garlic. Please expound a bit more!

Yeap…k

{ step 1 } I floured the shrooms ( seasoned flour)… I { Step 2 } dipped in farmed raised eggs with water to thin… { step 3 } then re-floured the shrooms

Now… I have some french ( Plugra… unsalted ) butter… heated till not foaming, add Garlic ( if you add unpeeled garlic… not chopped or skin removed… it wont burn… easily !!! )… your @ about 325 degrees now… garlic adds nice flavor now… put in shrooms in cook till golden and crispy on side A the flip to side B

oh heck…

let me know if I can explain better!! To much hockey

Fantastic, I have never tried frying morels, but I will give this a go if I stumble across some before the spring ends. Thanks!

Looks great Paully. Frying is my favorite way to have them. I simply dust with Wondra, fry in hot oil, and enjoy with some bubbly. Yum!

[cheers.gif]

Very nice but unless you like bugs soak them, in salt water for a bit. Why wouldn’t you soak them?

JD

They make great tempura too. Last night I put some into Korean scallion pancake batter and panfried them. Yummy.

John…

Up till this yr… I did the soak in salt water thing!! This is the first yr… I did a we bit of an experiment!! So thanks for asking. I am drying my fresh mushrooms ( slightly ), after I cut them in half, and clean the inside critters… the other bilbugs we usually see …scurry out after you start dusting them… I only had one thou. Now they are not dried much… but I feel i concentrates the flavor, and also. For me…I have never been able to get crispy mushrooms after soaking them… This was the first time I can say I got a great crispy crunch on these babys… hence the terminology " BomB"

Otherwise… bugs !! After the initial clean… out-of-sight / out-of-mind [wink.gif]

Soaking mushrooms bad… morels good.

I run into the same issue with chanterelles. Mushrooms are like sponges, they will immediately soak up moisture but it will end up diluting your flavor and possibly ruining the texture. You can’t get that moisture back out and still have a fresh mushroom. So for chanterelles I go to slow and steady work with a very soft brush. Now for morels, lots o’ nooks n’ crannies there. I don’t have much experience. But I would still do everything I could to not soak them.

And those look awesome. I covet thy fungi.

Ever pulled a slug out of a morel?

I give my fresh morels a “quick bath” in a saltwater solution, and once you see what crawls out in just a couple of minutes I can’t imagine not doing it. I’ve eaten morels my whole life, and haven’t noticed any difference in consistency or taste.

Yes.

JD

great. now i don’t want to eat morels.

Harold McGee has done some experiments and concluded that this is a myth.

Hey I don’t doubt I’m wrong. I’m just going off what I read on the interwebs and what I see happen in my saute pan. If you have a reference link that would be great. If I manage to score some morels I sure as shit don’t want creepy crawlies coming out!

I was in the “don’t wash or soak” camp for a long time until I read about McGee’s experiment, now I rinse under the tap or give a quick (30 sec) soak and rub in cold water. I haven’t noticed any adverse effects on buttons, shitakes or oysters (I almost never buy morels).

Might do a differential… if I get some more!! I’ll let you know.

Not that I’m liking eating bugs either!!

i’m a salt water rinse/soak guy and then I drop them in my Oxo salad spinner and let 'er rip.

Even after I’ve patted them dry I’m stunned by how much water ‘spins’ out of them. even after 10 minutes in salt water I’ve not noticed a difference in my morels.