Island Vacation Recs?

Due to my wife’s schedule (Teacher), the only times we can plan ahead, with confidence, is June/Jul August. We have been going to Aruba and Grand Cayman, but would like to go somewhere else. Now with the disaster of the Oil “spill”, I would be concerned for some islands. We feel guilty even having to consider the oil issue, but …well, we have to.

It looks like Mid July and into very early august is the safest time for us.

We have thought about Puerto Vallarta (never been to any part of Mexico). Is that time of year going to too hot or a problem with the rainy season? From the research I have done, it looks safe enough. We have looked at Dreams, Sheraton and Villa Premiere (I think that is the name, though I might be wrong). We have NEVER done all inclusive anywhere. But thinking about it if we go there. We have seen, what looks like, some really good prices for an 8 day stay with the flights included (non stop with continental from Newark, NJ to PV and those hotels. Not thrilled about a 5:30 flight. And again, other than Aruba, it seems that most of my interests will either have “oil” fear issues, or maybe too hot. Then there is also the hurricane season concern…but…

***We went a few years ago to the Jamaica Inn in, of course, Jamaica. Too secluded for us (we like to walk around a bit, even with my back issues), and the issues with deafening sounds of those little frogs was maddening. Nightly dinners under our Veranda was wonderful, but not enough to make up for other issues.

Any suggestions on Jamaica? Anguilla is really attractive to us too, but it looks like the costs would end up more than we want to do, for the comfort and things that we want. Am I off base there? Once meals are factored in, I really don’t want to get up in the $5000 range. But will do if I get a big enough push.

***We Honeymooned in St. Lucia in 2001, and it really was not appealing at all to us. Unfortunately, we went when they had the worst drought in 75 yrs. Everything was brown, local animals starving…the famous waterfalls was laughable…sort of like someone was up there with a garden hose. [berserker.gif] Started in the famous hotel with the open wall, up on the cliff between the Pitons called Ladera. I can tell the story of the ONE day we stayed and paid the one day penalty to leave…of a huge bird sitting on our sofa, a large lizard falling out of the “medicine cabinet” when I opened it to shave, sleeping with the net around our bed and the “million” different size bugs on the net in the morning, and then when I went to take a shower in the morning, stepping on a “bug” the size of a cel phone. That was when we left. And the eating at the “top” restaurant Dasheene, where they supply each person with a water pistol to zap the birds because they would fly down and land on the table to share your dinner. [rofl.gif] Just wanted to add a funny story…Now, back to what I am trying to get help with.

So, any suggestions? And any thoughts on the Mexico idea?

Much appreciated.

Four Seasons in Punta Mita if you can swing it!

Mexico is just entering the ‘hot’ season in July. It will be humid with potential thunderstorms but if you are not surfing, it should’t matter. There seems to be a lot more choices on the Gulf side in Mexico if considering the all inclusive route. Another excellent choice would be Costa Rica on the pacific side. The flights from your coast should be pretty reasonable either direct or via Houston.

If you want some culture along with your beaches, check out Trinidad & Tobago.

Tobago is one big sand bar but Trinidad is a good sized island with several large cities, lots of insane music and food, a fantastic botanical garden AND great beaches.

The population is quite diverse with even a large South Asian accent to the food, art, music and general feel.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Tourism-g147388-Trinidad_Trinidad_and_Tobago-Vacations.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

What sort of experience are you looking for?
My wife and I got married in Nevis 4 years ago. It’s the smaller neighboring island to St. Kitts. It’s one of the few islands left that isn’t touristy, which is great depending on what you’re looking for. For us, it felt like true paradise. We stayed at the Montpelier Plantation Inn and loved every minute.

Grenada… La Luna. Try luxury link. http://www.luxurylink.com/travel-offers/listing.php?kw=Grenada" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Lance,

FS in Punta Mita looks gorgeous, but not right for us for a few reason. 1) costs higher than we want right now 2) remote for us.

Surfing will not be an issue, since walking a mile is about the limit for me right now:)

Costa Rica…Never been and know so little about. Can you highlight some thoughts after I list more about our goals?

To highlight our tastes, goals and “needs” for this vacation:

1. Dates: 7-10 days sometime in July, but do have some dates in August

2. Travel: Time of travel has to be considered, depending on length of stay. I am not getting on a plane with my back, and then staying for only 4-5 days.

3. Beach: We want to stay ON the beach. Beautiful beach is wonderful, but doesn’t really matter calm waters or high waves, within reason. We just soak it up. Too high of waves would be more enjoyable to just watch and listen to. We are not sun worshipers but enjoy being on the beach with palapas, or big umbrellas, etc.

4. Hotel: We seem to not be much on the “boutique” hotels. We have done that many times (a couple outlined in my original post), and end up bored to death. We don’t golf (can’t anymore). Spas are not of interest to us. High end shopping is of NO interest. Pool is nice to have a choice, but we are not ones to sit at the pool for long when you have a great beach. * also, while we do not like “touristy” to the point of “spring breakers” to “theme park” mentality of the area or the people, if that makes sense. Not cramped, but we enjoy laughing at people, as much as they are probably laughing at us. [cheers.gif] And we enjoy being able to walk the beach and take in the surrounding sites.

5. Food: We enjoy great food, but accept that food at most island locations will rarely excite. To us, it is the moment, the company, the mood, and the location that excites. But are wide open to interesting choices, including local fare.

6. Downtown”:Ability to walk into the town and take in local people and businesses is a big plus.

7. Car rental: We would like to have all of the above, without having to rent a car, unless it is for one day to go do something or see something special.

8. Concern: A) Oil Spill affecting the island/area. B) Hurricaine season

9. The ability to bring wines with us is a nice addition.

Just thought I would list all that to maybe help get some more thoughts.

Thanks again.

Carl,

Thanks for the rec, but we just seem to end up not relaxing after a few days at these types of places. I know I get stir crazy, and I believe my wife feels the same way. I wish I could relax in those types of places. I WANT to love them. But have failed every time.

I have been going to PV for 14 years now but never in June. I believe it will be hot and rain a few hours mostly at night.
Under NO circumstances go all inclusive. The restaurants in PV are wonderful and all allow BYOB with varying corkage.
The Westin Regina and Marriot are in the Marina section so you get the boats/yachts as well as the ocean. I stay at the Club Regina which I believe you can book without being a member either direct or the aftermarket. Should run you $700-$1200 for a 2BR/2 bath with a balcony with a Jacuzzi on it. The unit has a full equipted kitchen

Anguilla is always AWESOME!

I would rent a house in Mexico South of Cancun in South Akumal or Soliman bay. The beaches are beautiful, many of the houses have people that will cook your dinner for you at a suprisingly low cost. There are ruins to explore, that could be negotiated very easily with your bad back. There are nice restaurants also. Many different tourists sites like eco parks etc, (not my cup of tea but certainly something to do). You would fly non-stop to Cancun so it is very easy to get to. You would have to rent a car but it is an easy drive down the coast.

They are running some special buy 5 nights get 2 free now. http://www.akumal-villas.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I think Hawaii would be a good option also if you can handle the flight, no hurricaines to worry about. Not cheap though.

One of the resorts on Virgin Gorda would also be worth a look.

George

Staying in Akumal myself this summer. Not renting a house or villa, but staying an an inclusive which works out best with my kids.

Peter Island in the BVI

You will thank me upon arrival.

http://www.peterisland.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I have heard it is amazing. I would go for the Falcon’s nest villa. Onlyl $11,500/night. [wink.gif]

George

It is.

Amazing that is. Falcon’s Nest is the schnizzle.

Baller!

Just got back in, and am just getting to the post. Really appreciate it.

Having never been to Hawaii, and considering the travel time, we would have to be looking at a minimum 10 day stay, would that be a safe way to think? I am just not sure I could handle that long a trip with my back issues, but we have been saying that we need do that.

Ron, I know you go to PV alot, so I appreciate the feedback and advice. I’ll look into that info.

Mike: I just took a quick look at your choice, and you might be sucking me in. As much as I THINK I would love secluded places like that, I seem to always get a bit disappointed. But from what I looked at, this seems to have the seclusion WITH the luxury. And am I right that it looks like a place where you can take walks/hikes/nature walks (whatever one might call it), with room to enjoy it even I am not abel to do strenuous stuff? Many times these pics look WAY better than what it really is… St. Lucia?? [head-bang.gif] But this looks really pretty nice? How long a trip to get there from EWR or NYC? And what kind of flights? Anyone do packages with flights included? It got me interested and will do more checking when I have some time.

Sean: I keep wanting to go to Anguilla, but it seems like it might run too high when you factor in dining and stuff. But I haven’t done enough to be sure. Any suggestions on places to stay?

George/Mark: I’ll look into Akumal. Just me and my wife, and renting a house would be a way to go? I’ve never done that. We do like the hotel way of having it all done, but I’ll check it out. Appreciate the suggestion.

Sounds about right to me, especially if you intend to hit more than one island. I’ve done many two weeks trips myself. Can’t get enough of the place.

Steve, it all depends on how much you are willing to spend! Yes Anguilla can be very costly! Places like http://www.capjuluca.com/" onclick=“window.open(this.href);return false; or http://www.cuisinartresort.com/” onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; will set you back a lot of money!

Places like Anguilla Resort... Anguilla Great House Beach Resort" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; , a place I visted while there, is not near as nice as the first two but it will leave you with a lot more money to go shopping, eating or to go to St. Martin to gamble!

I loved the people, it does not have a tourist feel to it at all! Everyone is very laid back, no one bothers you to buy anything, you can walk into anyplace and be treated warmly and with respect!

Steve - If you got the coin, listen to Mike and go to Peter’s Island. A regular room will start about $600/night plus 18% tax/fees. Maybe they are running some summer specials. Either way buy trip insurance. Getting there is a little bit of a pain. You will need to take 2 planes and a boat. Or if you can get direct in to St Thomas 1 plane and 2 boats as you can ferry from St Thomas to Tortola.

George

George,

I think it looks interesting if I wanted to be pretty secluded, and then be able to be adventurous and stuff. Not what I am looking for this time.

To a point, we enjoy the people and we also enjoy the comforts of a special hotel type place. Sort of secluded is ok, but it would have to be a special place. When we went to the Jamaica Inn, it had been touted as one of the best “boutique” hotels in the carribean etc etc. The AC was not even average, frogs drowned us out, no TV, and we were in a cove setting with no place to walk and the surrounding area was not someplace you could really go and walk around. If I get secluded, it better be in a luxurious sort of place, and then still be able to go out and walk around too. This looks like too much space, and would be better suited for those who really want to be in a very quiet place, and maybe with kids. But I do appreciate pointing towards it. Thank you.