Are you feeling it, yet? - Freight Industry Fiasco

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
Markus S

Re: Are you feeling it, yet? - Freight Industry Fiasco

#101 Post by Markus S »

D@vid Bu3ker wrote: October 4th, 2021, 10:25 am
Markus S wrote: October 4th, 2021, 10:20 am
John Morris wrote: October 4th, 2021, 9:43 am The latest shortage seems to be in toothbrushes. This was my local CVS on Saturday. A month or so ago I went to a CVS for four things and walked out with one.
I wouldn't use CVS as an example of anything. Go into any particular CVS store and many shelves will be barren. Not a problem with Kinney Drugs or Walgreens, heck, even Rite Aid does better inventory management. They have been on a downward spiral for years.
Maybe by you. Walgreens is the train wreck here. CVS is always better stocked.
Well you are closer to their Woonsocket distribution site. Apparently deliveries come every 2 weeks here.
$ _ € ® e . k @

John Glas
GCC Member
GCC Member

#102 Post by John Glas »

No. I have not seen prices in the Twin Cities increase at all. Maybe a few less quality selections but plenty of good wine at good prices. My Cali connections have plenty of good wine offered everyday on their email blasts.

Victor Hong

#103 Post by Victor Hong »

https://www.washingtonpost.com/business ... p_dontmiss

Good article on all the modes log-jammed.
WineHunter.

John Morris
GCC Member
GCC Member

#104 Post by John Morris »

Markus S wrote: October 4th, 2021, 11:49 am
Markus S wrote: October 4th, 2021, 10:20 am

I wouldn't use CVS as an example of anything. Go into any particular CVS store and many shelves will be barren. Not a problem with Kinney Drugs or Walgreens, heck, even Rite Aid does better inventory management. They have been on a downward spiral for years.
Well you are closer to their Woonsocket distribution site. Apparently deliveries come every 2 weeks here.
In NYC, pre-Covid, CVS stores were generally excellent -- well stocked and clean. No evidence whatsoever of a "downward spiral." Walgreens/Duane Reade were usually good, too, but they closed the most convenient one for me, so I can't offer a comparison at the moment.
"But they told me there would be a hand basket."

"I penciled in half an hour to suffer fools tomorrow, but now I’m thinking I might bump it out until Monday." -- @duchessgoldblat

Lonnie F.
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#105 Post by Lonnie F. »

It's not a FedEx or UPS issue. It's not just a Brexit, semiconductor, trucking salary or, forestry issue. It's all of these and more. I read a somewhat wordy description and share it here.

The thing is, a supply chain is mostly an emergent entity rather than a designed one, and its most salient features often have very little to do with its nominal function of getting stuff from Point A to Point B. That’s just the supply chain’s job, not what it is. What it is is a homeostatic equilibrium created by billions of sourcing decisions made over time, by millions of individuals at businesses around the world making buying and selling decisions over time.
Lonnie Fuller

brigcampbell
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>

#106 Post by brigcampbell »

UPS just emailed me a notification for an emergency "Port Congestion Surcharge" effect November 1st. Aww
Don't hate me just because I'm rich and drive a Ferrari. I could buy this wine board. - Cash Steele

Jeff_M.
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#107 Post by Jeff_M. »

brigcampbell wrote: October 14th, 2021, 1:56 pm UPS just emailed me a notification for an emergency "Port Congestion Surcharge" effect November 1st. Aww
I should upload the pic from my phone of all the ships sitting off the port of LA I took Monday afternoon after taking off from LAX. Its insane the amount of ships currently waiting to reach the docks.
Jeff M 0 l l

2020 WOTY Candidates
2007 Yangarra Estate High Sands Grenache
1986 Spottswoode Cabernet
2012 Hartford Court Arrendell Vineyard Pinot Noir

2021 WOTY Candidates
2010 O'Shaughnessy Mt. Veeder

John Morris
GCC Member
GCC Member

#108 Post by John Morris »

I was reading a piece about the railroad industry last night, which explained that the staffing shortages (truckers, in particular) are compounded by delays. If a driver sits waiting in line at the port gate for six or eight hours (a frequent reality), that takes a lot of capacity out of the system -- both trucks and drivers. Likewise, the railroads lose capacity if their are delays loading containers and their trains are sitting idle.

Every slowdown along the way further reduces the weekly or monthly actual capacity of transport industry, which depends on turnaround times and not just on the number of drivers, containers, rail cars, etc. This obviously applies to ocean shipping. If there are scores of ships anchored offshore, or they're delayed in ports, the existing pool of containers will be insufficient.

The railroads have resorted to combining trains -- simply coupling one, locomotives and all, behind another. That reduces the number of crews needed and frees up track space. Fewer, longer trains means fewer trains in signal blocks and fewer points at which one train has to wait for another to pass, so fewer delays en route.

"I penciled in half an hour to suffer fools tomorrow, but now I’m thinking I might bump it out until Monday." -- @duchessgoldblat

brigcampbell
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>

#109 Post by brigcampbell »

Drivers are waiting days for a load. They are paid by the mile not the hour so they say screw it.
Don't hate me just because I'm rich and drive a Ferrari. I could buy this wine board. - Cash Steele

jrozes
GCC Member
GCC Member

#110 Post by jrozes »

Jeff_M. wrote: October 14th, 2021, 1:59 pm
brigcampbell wrote: October 14th, 2021, 1:56 pm UPS just emailed me a notification for an emergency "Port Congestion Surcharge" effect November 1st. Aww
I should upload the pic from my phone of all the ships sitting off the port of LA I took Monday afternoon after taking off from LAX. Its insane the amount of ships currently waiting to reach the docks.
Rep. Michelle Steel: Today I introduced legislation to ban cargo ships off the Orange County coast.
Jonathan

John Morris
GCC Member
GCC Member

#111 Post by John Morris »

brigcampbell wrote: October 14th, 2021, 2:46 pm Drivers are waiting days for a load. They are paid by the mile not the hour so they say screw it.
I assume that's only the self-employed ones.

John Morris
GCC Member
GCC Member

#112 Post by John Morris »

Brent C l a y t o n

#113 Post by Brent C l a y t o n »

lol yet? It's been a full year of this, though 2021 has been markedly worse.
‘Purveyor of Plonk’
Threadsinker
ITB Sales
IG@bigdaddyb420wine

Brent C l a y t o n

#114 Post by Brent C l a y t o n »

John Morris wrote: October 8th, 2021, 6:48 am
Markus S wrote: October 4th, 2021, 11:49 am

In NYC, pre-Covid, CVS stores were generally excellent -- well stocked and clean. No evidence whatsoever of a "downward spiral." Walgreens/Duane Reade were usually good, too, but they closed the most convenient one for me, so I can't offer a comparison at the moment.
Wrongo Dongo. If your local CVS is barren in NYC it could just as much be organized shoplifters taking advantage of no-bail crimes. This is a big issue right now.
‘Purveyor of Plonk’
Threadsinker
ITB Sales
IG@bigdaddyb420wine

John Morris
GCC Member
GCC Member

#115 Post by John Morris »

You don't think supply chain issues have anything to do with the CVS situation?

Brent C l a y t o n

#116 Post by Brent C l a y t o n »

PeterH wrote: September 13th, 2021, 10:42 pm Let's accept that at the very least, containers are not in the place where they are needed. That pre-dates the Covid era and has partly to do with far more goods being shipped from Asia than back in the other direction.
Then you have the shortage of truckers to move containers within the US. That pre-dates Covid also.
The back up at the docks is partially related to Covid. The ports never caught up with the surge that occurred after the initial shut down was released.
Now we have a reduced labor force in the supply chain, intermittent shut downs of ports and foreign factories, a robust demand for certain (but not all) products, and I suspect hoarding on a corporate level.

Our company has experienced shipping times of three to ten times normal. On the other hand, expecting delays, we have kept inventory as high as we have storage capacity for. I guess we are both victims and a cause of the problem.
To expound upon the container issues:

Stuff is sitting in boxes longer, which means the containers can't be recycled for reuse fast enough. This is why there seems to be a 'shortage.'
Also there are issues about where they are and that certain places don't have enough. NZ is a great example. You can't get reefers in NZ to ship wine. Why? Because not enough stuff is going there in reefers and they don't want to ship empty reefers there to deal with the export demand. We had wine that was ready to pick up in March that couldn't be picked up until August and won't get here until November, all because we couldn't find refrigerated containers.

We have had to set up with a second shipping company (for locals, we use Western Carriers, and Fond du Lac is parking our reefers) to park containers at while our regular distributor deals with the logjam at their loading docks. It used to be a week turnaround at the port, 24-72 hrs for intake before we had product available to sell. Now it's 1-3 weeks at port, 1-3 weeks of containers sitting before they get taken in at the loading dock. We have wine that arrived in late August/early September that we are just getting our hands on now.
‘Purveyor of Plonk’
Threadsinker
ITB Sales
IG@bigdaddyb420wine

Brent C l a y t o n

#117 Post by Brent C l a y t o n »

John Morris wrote: October 15th, 2021, 7:48 am You don't think supply chain issues have anything to do with the CVS situation?
I'm not saying zero supply chain issues, because you can see the absence of products in other markets where shoplifting isn't the problem. But in NYC it's a big issue.
‘Purveyor of Plonk’
Threadsinker
ITB Sales
IG@bigdaddyb420wine

TGigante
GCC Member
GCC Member

#118 Post by TGigante »

Brent C l a y t o n wrote: October 15th, 2021, 7:51 am
John Morris wrote: October 15th, 2021, 7:48 am You don't think supply chain issues have anything to do with the CVS situation?
I'm not saying zero supply chain issues, because you can see the absence of products in other markets where shoplifting isn't the problem. But in NYC it's a big issue.
Walgreens is closing 10 stores in San Fran this year due to unfettered shoplifting.

They say theft is 5x their store average there
Cheers,
Tony

brigcampbell
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>

#119 Post by brigcampbell »

Shopping lifting is a big problem for the CVS, Walgreens, etc. But not affecting the supply chain.

The issue is profession thieves know they can walk in and walk out without being stopped. Employees will be fired for stopping a shoplifter.

My two close friends work in management for two chains.

The other area they both complain about is SNAP fraud and I don't know the details so can't elaborate.

Jeff_M.
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#120 Post by Jeff_M. »

jrozes wrote: October 14th, 2021, 4:47 pm
Jeff_M. wrote: October 14th, 2021, 1:59 pm
Rep. Michelle Steel: Today I introduced legislation to ban cargo ships off the Orange County coast.
yeah the oil spill off HB appears to be from a cargo ship that dragged its anchor across an oil line. Not good. Saw lots of oil on the beach last Sunday
Jeff M 0 l l

2020 WOTY Candidates
2007 Yangarra Estate High Sands Grenache
1986 Spottswoode Cabernet
2012 Hartford Court Arrendell Vineyard Pinot Noir

2021 WOTY Candidates
2010 O'Shaughnessy Mt. Veeder

John Morris
GCC Member
GCC Member

#121 Post by John Morris »

Here's another problem I wasn't aware of: BNSF's main rail link from Seattle/Portland has been shut by the Dixie fire. The ties on a bridge and the wooden siding of a tunnel both burned, and repairs have taken time. Union Pacific still operates a line from the Northwest to California, but the fire took out a lot of capacity, and a lot of shipments from Asia come in through the Seattle/Tacoma port.

This probably doesn't affect wine shipments on the West Coast. I'd imagine most of them move by truck. But for imported goods, this is just one more aggravating factor.

Here's BNSF's map of its alternative routing. That, of course, ties up more train cars, containers and locomotives to transport the same quantity of freight.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Rick Allen
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#122 Post by Rick Allen »

The Port of Portland stopped handling containers several years ago. They're looking to start bringing some ships back in now. Given that our grain container sat off Whidbey Island for about a week, that would work for me!

Return to “Wine Talk”