Have wine auction lots become much more scarce....?

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
Victor Hong

Re: Have wine auction lots become much more scarce....?

#251 Post by Victor Hong »

Ken Leiter wrote: November 14th, 2021, 7:12 pm 3 bottles of 2010 Cepparello for 220 each before BP

https://www.winebid.com/BuyWine/Item/79 ... Cepparello
What a food fight!!!!
WineHunter.

Victor Hong

#252 Post by Victor Hong »

https://www.winebid.com/BuyWine/Item/80 ... -Sauvignon

Beringer Knights Valley Cabernet Sauvignon 1991, $130 current bid.
WineHunter.

Dale Bowers
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#253 Post by Dale Bowers »

The current HDH action I went 0 for 5 first day after making what I felt was more than competitive bids.
Cheers!

Marcu$ Stanley

#254 Post by Marcu$ Stanley »

Dale Bowers wrote: January 13th, 2022, 6:39 pm The current HDH action I went 0 for 5 first day after making what I felt was more than competitive bids.
Well that’s HDH for you. With rare exceptions unless you bid the top of the quoted range or higher you won’t win

Mark Golodetz
GCC Member
GCC Member

#255 Post by Mark Golodetz »

I put in one bid: 50% above high estimate and lost.
ITB

etomasi

#256 Post by etomasi »

HDH keeps their estimates low anyways. Combine that with the current frenzy at auctions make it difficult. It was amusing that even the auctioneers were commenting how crazy things are. I won two at the HDH live auction today but I went hard because one wine needed good provenance and the other lot had wines that are hard or annoying to find at retail. No, I didnt get a great price, but the zero DE tax and picking up in person makes it a little better. It also helps to do it live, you can find bargains, but jeez... todays auction was 10 hours! Not sure I'll bid on anything tomorrow.
---
Eric Tomasi
CT: Ericindc

Pat Martin

#257 Post by Pat Martin »

I won a case of 2005 Magdelaine at HDH! My first ever HDH Auction score. 20% over the top estimate, I think.

Do they show how many bids the lot received somewhere? I don’t see that on the webpage.

Also, is shipping a hassle there?
P@ tr!ck M 8rt!n

Nathan V.

#258 Post by Nathan V. »

Pat Martin wrote: January 13th, 2022, 8:08 pm I won a case of 2005 Magdelaine at HDH! My first ever HDH Auction score. 20% over the top estimate, I think.

Do they show how many bids the lot received somewhere? I don’t see that on the webpage.

Good job, that's an excellent wine.

They don't show the number of bids AFAIK. My strategy is that I place my bid and walk away so I don't get lulled into a false sense that I need to have any particular lot (I don't).

They no longer ship but will put you in touch with third party shippers that pick up your winnings and arrange packing and shipment. It gets around some legal issues (they can't ship in DE). It was a little clunky, but worked well. It was expensive, I paid about $100/cs from DE to NC, but I factor that into my bidding now.

I missed on two early lots yesterday and gave up. I wouldn't have won any of the other lots I was looking at. My price was at about 75-80% of the high estimate and that wasn't nearly enough.

Whoever grabbed the Roagna Pira 2013 at $950 got a nice deal.
ITB-ish.
V = V a n der g r i f t

Pat Martin

#259 Post by Pat Martin »

Thanks, Nathan. Crazy shipping costs!

I assume with HDH that if no bottle conditions of any kind are mentioned then that lot is “pristine”?
P@ tr!ck M 8rt!n

Alex Valdes
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#260 Post by Alex Valdes »

Nathan V. wrote: January 14th, 2022, 5:36 am
Pat Martin wrote: January 13th, 2022, 8:08 pm I won a case of 2005 Magdelaine at HDH! My first ever HDH Auction score. 20% over the top estimate, I think.

They don't show the number of bids AFAIK. My strategy is that I place my bid and walk away so I don't get lulled into a false sense that I need to have any particular lot (I don't).

They no longer ship but will put you in touch with third party shippers that pick up your winnings and arrange packing and shipment. It gets around some legal issues (they can't ship in DE). It was a little clunky, but worked well. It was expensive, I paid about $100/cs from DE to NC, but I factor that into my bidding now.

I missed on two early lots yesterday and gave up. I wouldn't have won any of the other lots I was looking at. My price was at about 75-80% of the high estimate and that wasn't nearly enough.

On the showing the bids, you can only see it while the lot is being bid on. If you are in the app you can see it by clicking the “history” button at the bottom

Nathan V.

#261 Post by Nathan V. »

Pat Martin wrote: January 14th, 2022, 7:25 am Thanks, Nathan. Crazy shipping costs!

I assume with HDH that if no bottle conditions of any kind are mentioned then that lot is “pristine”?
Well, they'll *look* pristine. I've mostly stuck to buying OCB/OWB as I've moved along because that tends to reduce the chances of storage issues with the wines. Even then, you can get an OCB of wine, as I have, where the corks are soaked half way up (or worse, but this is the worst I've experienced). To me, that is indicative of poor storage somewhere along the way (wine that I've bought on release through trusted (mostly official) channels will only have wine stain on the end of the cork).

Many wines are moving all over the place, sometimes trading hands many times, before they end up at auction.
ITB-ish.
V = V a n der g r i f t

MikeHill
GCC Member
GCC Member

#262 Post by MikeHill »

Nice score, especially for your first win. I was going for that as well. champagne.gif

Markus S

#263 Post by Markus S »

Nathan V. wrote: January 14th, 2022, 5:36 am Whoever grabbed the Roagna Pira 2013 at $950 got a nice deal.
[wow.gif] [rofl.gif]
$ _ € ® e . k @

Ethan Abraham
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#264 Post by Ethan Abraham »

The "arbs" aren't there anymore. Even a few months ago you could often grab recent release of mid-level burgs and bdx at a decent discount to retail. I put in a bunch of bids yesterday on 19 fourrier, duroche, etc and everything ended up almost exactly at retail.

HoosJustinG
GCC Member
GCC Member

#265 Post by HoosJustinG »

Secondary market not loving Bevan… Consignor prob should’ve sent these to K&L/Winebid

Also RE: Shipping from HDH, most pro storage facilities will make it up there once in a while. I think I pay $55/box (so either full case of loose bottles or per OWC) at Vine Vault for them to place in my storage in Atlanta. Another $55/box to deliver to my house in FL when I want to pull boxes, but it’s refrigerated the whole way and getting wine shipped to Florida is basically impossible over half the year. The only way to really do it is overnight + AM delivery (and hope it happens, these days), and that’s more than $100 anyway… To me, the fact that they don’t ship is easily counterbalanced by lack of DE sales tax. I think that is *to some extent* priced in to hammer prices but not fully.
I'm a good man ... in fact, it's my last name

Andrew Gold

#266 Post by Andrew Gold »

Ethan Abraham wrote: January 14th, 2022, 8:44 am The "arbs" aren't there anymore. Even a few months ago you could often grab recent release of mid-level burgs and bdx at a decent discount to retail. I put in a bunch of bids yesterday on 19 fourrier, duroche, etc and everything ended up almost exactly at retail.
Completely agree with this...

asnitow

#267 Post by asnitow »

Nathan V. wrote: January 14th, 2022, 5:36 am

Guilty as charged
alan snitow

MikeHill
GCC Member
GCC Member

#268 Post by MikeHill »

Andrew Gold wrote: January 14th, 2022, 9:21 am
Ethan Abraham wrote: January 14th, 2022, 8:44 am The "arbs" aren't there anymore. Even a few months ago you could often grab recent release of mid-level burgs and bdx at a decent discount to retail. I put in a bunch of bids yesterday on 19 fourrier, duroche, etc and everything ended up almost exactly at retail.
Completely agree with this...
Same. Since this is more "mid tier" premium wines, I figured I'd take a swing and put in a bunch of bids to see what happened...basically slight discount to W-S low. Worst case, I'd end up with a lot of wine at decent price (I'm in accumulation mode still). So far I'm 1 for 20. More for BD day.

Mark Golodetz
GCC Member
GCC Member

#269 Post by Mark Golodetz »

MikeHill wrote: January 14th, 2022, 7:41 am

Nice score, especially for your first win. I was going for that as well. champagne.gif
I just looked at the price. I would have expected to hammer around $1800
ITB

Pat Martin

#270 Post by Pat Martin »

Mark Golodetz wrote: January 14th, 2022, 11:32 am
MikeHill wrote: January 14th, 2022, 7:41 am

I just looked at the price. I would have expected to hammer around $1800
Phew, I feel better now! (bout of buyer's remorse now gone). Thanks.

Just have to figure out shipping -- If anyone has any tips, feel free to PM me if easier.
P@ tr!ck M 8rt!n

HoosJustinG
GCC Member
GCC Member

#271 Post by HoosJustinG »

‘13 Abreu Thorevilos is one of the best Cali wines I’ve ever had … perhaps THE best post-97 wine I’ve had, but WOW it looks like it’s now trading for north of $1000/btl including vig. W-S lists a few 3 digit options but out of stock when you click the link.
I'm a good man ... in fact, it's my last name

Brady Daniels
GCC Member
GCC Member

#272 Post by Brady Daniels »

Who is paddle 430? Hehe
-Brady D on CT - Omnivinovore

Brady Daniels
GCC Member
GCC Member

#273 Post by Brady Daniels »

I just saw 2010 Bertheau Amoureuses go for over $1000 a bottle. What is happening?

Andrew Gold

#274 Post by Andrew Gold »

Brady Daniels wrote: January 14th, 2022, 3:34 pm I just saw 2010 Bertheau Amoureuses go for over $1000 a bottle. What is happening?
I was struck by that lot too... insane to me.

Dale Bowers
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#275 Post by Dale Bowers »

Andrew Gold wrote: January 15th, 2022, 3:03 pm
Brady Daniels wrote: January 14th, 2022, 3:34 pm I just saw 2010 Bertheau Amoureuses go for over $1000 a bottle. What is happening?
I was struck by that lot too... insane to me.
You can’t fix stupid. Or nouveau rich.
Cheers!

Brady Daniels
GCC Member
GCC Member

#276 Post by Brady Daniels »

The funny thing is I should be thrilled by $1k Bertheau Amoureuses, because I have some, bought en primeur. But I find it very hard to open wines worth that much, so it annoys me greatly. Not rational, I know.

Nathan V.

#277 Post by Nathan V. »

Brady Daniels wrote: January 15th, 2022, 7:15 pm The funny thing is I should be thrilled by $1k Bertheau Amoureuses, because I have some, bought en primeur. But I find it very hard to open wines worth that much, so it annoys me greatly. Not rational, I know.
I think that's completely rational. Ignoring present value would be irrational, IMO.
ITB-ish.
V = V a n der g r i f t

Nick Gangas
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#278 Post by Nick Gangas »

Nathan V. wrote: January 16th, 2022, 7:11 am
Brady Daniels wrote: January 15th, 2022, 7:15 pm The funny thing is I should be thrilled by $1k Bertheau Amoureuses, because I have some, bought en primeur. But I find it very hard to open wines worth that much, so it annoys me greatly. Not rational, I know.
I think that's completely rational. Ignoring present value would be irrational, IMO.
I'm with Nathan. Very rational. Ignoring present value is rationalization.

By the way, I'm still holding 3 bottles of yours Brady.

Return to “Wine Talk”