10 California Rosés to Brighten Your Day?

Anyone know who was on this list, in the New WS June 30 edition.

LE P’TIT PAYSAN Mourvèdre San Benito County Rosé Pierre’s Pirouette 2013 Score: 91 | $19

TABLAS CREEK Dianthus Paso Robles 2013 Score: 91 | $27

AMPELOS Syrah Santa Ynez Valley Rosé Upsilon: The Charged 2013 Score: 89 | $16

ADELAIDA Rosé Version Anna’s Estate Vineyard Paso Robles 2013 Score: 88 | $20

BEDROCK Rosé Ode To Lulu Old Vine California 2013 Score: 88 | $24

KALE Rosé Napa Valley 2013 Score: 88 | $22

MARGERUM Grenache San Luis Obispo County Rosé Riviera 2013 Score: 88 | $21

TABLAS CREEK Rosé Patelin de Tablas Paso Robles 2013 Score: 88 | $20

CASEY FLAT RANCH Rose Capay Valley 2013 Score: 86 | $18

ERIC KENT Rosé Sonoma Coast 2013 Score: 86 | $20

This is a great lineup! And look at Ian Brand leading the parade!

Eric Kent scoring a mere 86… Just one more example of why I put so little faith in WS scores (their rose is FANTASTIC).

Kale?

Drink more Kale!

Rose is becoming a real strength in California wine. It seems like everywhere you turn, someone is making a really good one, usually in the $12-20 range.

Some roses that have particularly stood out to me are Liquid Farm, Poe, Dehlinger (the few times they’ve made it), Bedrock, County Line, Denner and Curran. But there are so many.

I was turned away from rose a while back just because so many I came across leaned sickly sweet. But recent ones from Kale, Arnot-Roberts, Bedrock and Cellars 33 have turned me around. Visited Tablas for the first time three weeks ago and that was right up there, too.

Vaughn Duffy is making a really nice Rose these days.

But it is still just a rose. We all know that even the best rose in the world can taste like 93 points. And that is at its peak. As TomHill tried to explain on STEVE!'s blog today, those points are valid for the fleeting few minutes when a wine is at its apogee. 86-88 points for a rose sounds about right, especially when they only cost twenty or so bones… and are picked at only 19 brix [snort.gif]

edited to remove the superfluous space in Mr. Hill’s name. Or is that MrHill?

Why does it appear to me that few rose’s get a score above 90?

A bunch of Roses are very nice up in the Paso region. Our new favorite is Clos Solene’s Rose. Just had a bottle last week. Pricey but it replaced our previous favorite of L-Aventure.

If anyone is interested, there is the Real Men Drink Pink Festival in Paso on June 21. 25 Rose producers and food, heard it is fun and trying to attend this year, all to raise funds to fight breast cancer. http://www.realmendrinkpink.org

I’ve made the same comment. I believe someone said because they lack complexity. I don’t exactly recall.

Where’s Navarro? For me it wins on color alone - beautiful onion skin/copper, but it’s really a great wine. We’re vacationing in Boonville this summer and I hope to drink a bit of it.

Any list that does not include:

Arnot-Roberts
Scherrer
Bedrock “Ode”

Is bogus.

Morgan’s outstanding Lulu is in the lineup. I agree that A-R and Scherrer should be as well!

Don’t forget the excellent Pisoni Rose Lulu, fresh Strawberrys in a glass

Normally scores 89/90 and is an awesome bottle at $18

Alan, the Pisoni’s call their SLH Rosé “Lucy”, and she is a beauty.

No Pink Crack? An outrage!

I am still waiting to try Nikki’s rosé which she promises will be one of the best and I am giving the Bedrock another couple of weeks before cracking the first one.

Whilst California rosé has come a long way and the curve continues to move upward, being able to hold its own against the best of Bandol, Côtes de Provence or Tavel is still a very very long journey and it remains to be seen whether they get there…a 10 yr old Terrebrune is a beauty to behold. I really hope that some of the California crew stick with it.

One of the best bottles that my wife and I stumbled upon recently was a Rosato di Nebbiolo from Round Pond Estate and one of the closest examples yet of a European rosé.

Not sure if they did a submission request for roses or if they went out and purchased - perhaps Ian can chime in here . .

I never submitted and my guess is that many others that have been mentioned did not as well . . .

Cheers!