Memorial Day Weekend - what are you opening?

First, the important stuff - a weekend and holiday to remember all of our fallen soldiers who gave their lives for our country and many around the world. Thanks is not enough.

I’m curious what folks will be opening this weekend. The weather should be nice down in Texas so I’m hoping to pop open some wines I haven’t tried yet that go with outdoor weather and food on the grill. Thinking a Ceritas chard and perhaps some Turley zin. What will you be opening?

Wow, you’re thinking ahead! What is ‘nice’ weather for Tejas this time of year? 95 degrees in the shade?

I’m trying to determine whether a Huet Haut Lieu 2002 ds is premoxed or not tonight, so I have other things on my mind…

Cabernet Sauvignon.

If I can get to the locker it will have to some rose. If not bubbles.

88-90 degrees over the weekend. Swimming pool here I come!

Damn near perfect weather here in the Commonwealth with upper 70’s to mid 80’s and low humidity. I will also be opening some nice bottles to remember and honor those who made the ultimate sacrifice so I have the ability to enjoy wonderful wines with family and friends in a free country. Thanks is indeed not enough. Will also be smoking a pork butt on the Egg Sunday so I imagine a Zin will be in the mix along with some bubbles, Chablis, CA Chard and Pinot. Should be a really fine weekend.

I will be doing the same, and I’m really looking forward to it. I haven’t decided what I’ll be drinking, though. Maybe something German during the day and a Syrah later on.

Which one? (there are several, you know)

the Egg Sunday

Egg Sunday? You guys celebrate a late Easter there?

I got a head start with a Gonon 2012…major yums.

Imagine my surprise

We are having dinner with dear friends at the finest Indian restaurant (and maybe the finest restaurant of any sort) in DC on Saturday, and we always take a few nice champagnes for dinner there. Other than tha, I have no idea

Lets be honest. Is there a better Memorial Day weekend wine than Zinfandel?

I will be picking mine up at Chambers St. Wines tomorrow.

I opened up a '12 Gonon about a month ago. While good, it was just soooooooooooooo damn young and primary that I wish I hadn’t opened it. Go for an '11 if you have any around and tuck the '12s away to enjoy in a year.

As for what will be opened… I’ll have to post a pic of all the wines and Flannery that will be consumed at the Dabrowski house on Sunday. It promises to be a shit show. [cheers.gif]

I have to start thinking about this, don’t I?

Txakolina Rose tonight. Beer Sunday. Not sure the rest of the weekend.

A buddy is coming over tomorrow - he likes wine, but is not at the WB-level of craziness, so I generally just stand up wines to try as the mood suits.

This time, I’ve settled loosely on a Pinot-themed tasting to pair with grilled fish & steaks, and I’ve got a 1990 Mussy Pommard 1er Cru, a 2002 Vincent Girardin Charmes Chambertin, and a 2010 Westry currently stood up, plus a 2004 Donnhoff Spat, a 2011 white from CinqueTerre and a 1990 Rieussec ready to go as well.

2000 Chauvin, 2012 Walter Scott PN and a white with a veg dinner.

Along with the elitist CA swill I should be opening, I will see Bruce L for some jazz this weekend and I am sure he will tote along some paint stripping, acidic, harsh Euro wines that I am sure I will throughly enjoy.

Some Rivers Marie Cabernet, Liquid Farm Rose (thanks Nikki), and a champagne.

If I can get to my locker, I am going to crack open my first bottles of the Bedrock summer wines: the Ode to Lulu and the Grenache Gris.

I’ll be with my gf’s family and they are smoking ribs. Pork for them, beef for me.

I’m thinking of revisiting some ’11 Côte de Brouilly at some point, near the grill…maybe some vin pétillant - either Savoie (racy) or Saumur (fluffy) - on Sunday, which is our anniversary