TN: 2011 Rhys Pinot Noir Family Farm Vineyard

• 2011 Rhys Pinot Noir Family Farm Vineyard - USA, California, San Francisco Bay, San Mateo County (5/26/2014)
    This is an extraordinary California pinot noir. The nose is that effusive ripe pinot that is so sexy. The palate is full and perfectly ripe. The acidity supports this very ripe fruit. The finish is wonderful.
    This isn’t Kevin’s/Jeff’s best terroir. (That is Skyline to me). It is however one of the most consistent. This is an amazing effort for the vintage to me.

Posted from CellarTracker

Did it need lots of air? Or was it good out of the gate ?

This one was good from the moment I popped it.

2011 Rhys Pinot Noir Family Farm Vineyard - USA, California, San Francisco Bay, San Mateo County (8/19/2019)
– decanted 30 min. before initial taste –
– tasted non-blind for 3 to 4 hours –

NOSE: high-toned; red-fruited; hint of sweet roasted tomato (which I like); expressive; very light spice (possibly oak-derived); not funky or “dark”; bit of a funky something after about 45 minutes open (stinky cheese); not very complex; hint of cumin after 3 hours open.

BODY: slightly hazy light ruby color with light shade of orange at the edges; color is of medium-light to medium depth; medium-light bodied.

TASTE: no tannin; garrigé; light fruits — nothing stands out; lightly tart; 12.8% alc. not noticeable; I think there may be a tiny hint of brett in here — nowhere close to upsetting; seems to be very accessible and ready to go; this would need to put on weight to improve from here & the thin edges makes me think that’s not going to happen; strikes me as wide open; Drink Now and over the near term.

50, 5, 11, 16, 7 = (89 pts.)

We had this wine blind during bottling at waxwing a few weeks ago. I don’t disagree with your notes except it fits what I expect and like in pinot. This one worked for me.

Cool beans, Sean. I’ve been buying Rhys wines with the hope they’d be able to develop meaningful complexity with age; I don’t think this '11 Family Farm is going to meet my subjective mark, unfortunately. I have one remaining bottle that might be given the opportunity to prove me wrong.

Agreed, Nothing terribly interesting or complex. Just well made Pinot Noir. We are having a Rhys offline tonight with some verticals of Alpine and such. (see the offlines thread for more info). Lets see what stands out…

2017 Goodfellow Berskerker Cuvee just arrived from UPS. Popega’d one and am tasting now with lunch. We will have to throw that one into the mix. Hope Kevin Harvey can find some time away from harvest to join us but unlikely.

Sean

I’ll be watching this space for TNs, Sean. I hope all bottles tonight are sound! [cheers.gif]

Family Farm has never been my favorite Pinot Noir from Rhys. This is my favorite Family Farm and it is an excellent wine, one of the best Rhys’ I’ve had to date. Tonight’s bottle is a stunning effort from a low alcohol 2011 vintage. Really nice from the pop and in a very good place right now.

2011 Rhys Pinot Noir Family Farm Vineyard - USA, California, San Francisco Bay, San Mateo County (10/6/2021)
– decanted 1 hr. before initial taste –
– tasted non-blind over a few hours –

NOSE: high-toned red fruits (red currant and cranberry); hint of orange oil; medium brett.

BODY: bit hazy; rustic dark ruby color of medium depth; medium-light to medium bodied.

TASTE: high acidity; smooth; slightly aged red fruits; no tannin; 12.8% alc. not noticeable; small hint of brett; juicy red berries; very nice. Drink Now and over the near term.

50, 4, 12, 18, 8 = (92 pts.)

Popped a 2009 FF last week and it was outstanding!

No brett?

Not a trace of brett on any of the bottles I have opened either when they were young or aged.

Interesting. I’ve had a couple of bretty 2009 FF pinots. I’ll pull another soon. Dave, are you related to former NFL player Carl Kammerer?

No relation