TNR Bedrock Ode to Lulu 2013

On release, we were warned against drinking this. So I haven’t. Is it safe to go back in the water yet?

I’m sharing this with others. My alternative is the 2011, as I have no 2012’s here.

There’s some notes here: TN: 2013 Bedrock Wine Co. Mourvedre Ode to Lulu Rosé - WINE TALK - WineBerserkers

FWIW, I usually save mine for later in the Summer every year.

I opened one about a month ago. Some reduction, clumsy, etc. Much, much better on day 2. I’m not opening another one until later this summer (as Dan suggested).

I just noticed the CellarTracker entry still has not been edited. Should show California AVA (instead of Sonoma Valley). Though CT did change the designation to “Old Vine Rosé” from “Rosé of Mourvedre.”

Diasappointing…

All, and I mean all, of Bedrock’s wines need at least one year from release to show their best. Better to wait 2-3 years on the reds. I have jumped the gun and learned from experience enough times that this is essentially a blanket policy for me now.

Looks like I’ll bring the 2011 then. And a backup in case it’s over the hill, due to it’s being, you know, a rose.

Thanks, all.

I opened one when I got mine and thought it was a bit muted. Just had one last night and it was a big improvement, so I think mine are starting to wake up.

I thought the '11 and the '12 Lulu were great right off the truck. They had a delicate freshness that got lost with time. I haven’t touched my '13’s yet just based on CT notes. [cheers.gif]

I loved the '11 and '12. Opened my first '13 and found it bitter and disappointing.

Tim I opened one last night also. I opened it up and let it slow "o"ed all day. It was singing! Great wine to start off the evening. Look forward to our Wed. get together @burger up

I thought this too and it also showed worrisome heat.

However, 6 days later and it’s drinking really nicely. Not up to the 2011 or 2012 at present, but a very nice transformation from night 1. And this is perhaps the most structured rosé I’ve ever had…imo it needs at least a year or more (!) to open up. No hint of oxidation after 6 days…crazy.

Just another datapoint for all you Bedrock fans.

Have not had the '13 but an honest question for you all:

Is there any other domestic rose - or any rose from anywhere else - that you would purchase knowing that it would be ‘best’ to not consume for another year? Just curious . . .

So if you have a new rose from a producer you are not familiar with and find it ‘backwards’, how often will you give it the ‘benefit of the doubt’? I ask this in all honesty because I’m just trying to understand . . .

I really dig Morgan and his wines, having been fortunate to have a number of them shared by other WB members.

Cheers.

I know this doesn’t help, but the 2012 was beautiful yesterday.

I’m writing this on July 6. Had it last night and it was great. A typical Mourvèdre Rose from Bandol.

I did slow ox for two hours.

Think this will have the stuffing to last a year or more. I plan to drink our other rose this year and let “Ode” mellow for next year.

The '12 is the leader in the clubhouse. More delicate and refined than the '13. Dead ringer for a French Bandol.

I cracked one last week and it was a bit disjointed. It definitely needs a couple of months, at least, to show better.

Larry, I’m not someone who purchases many rosé wines and when I do it’s definitely for near-term consumption (aside from rosé Champagne, that is).

That said, I calls 'em likes I sees 'em. And this 213 Bedrock is an extremely well-structured rosé that even shows a bit of tannins. I’m unsure as to how fans of previous vintages can extoll the 2013, or at least at present. As mentioned above, it took 6 days before I found it enjoyable…3 before it was even palatable!

So again, did I purchase this with the intent of aging it? No! But now that I’ve tasted it? Hell yeah, and I’m gonna keep my remaining bottles in cellar for a year or more!

Meanwhile, I’ll keep on drinking some of that amazingly delicious LF rosé…yum.

Btw, I LOVE Bedrock too. In fact, one of my WOTY so far was a Bedrock from last week, the 2011 Papera to be exact…OMG is that some amazing juice!!! If you have a few do not be afraid to open one now, simply brilliant after 30 minutes keeps improving.

1. What a killer vintage for Zin and heritage blends in the right hands.

I can’t say that I buy rose with the intention of waiting a year but I do always end up with rose that I have not consumed by the end of summer and they sit until the next year as I just don’t like rose when its cold out. I have had the ESJ on year two and it still very nice. The Etude drinks fine as well but by year three is showing its age. I have a 2012 Tablas still in the cellar for later this summer but Cellar Tracker is mixed on if its still good or should have been consumed last year which I think is jut preference.

So if I did get a rose that seemed like it would be better with more bottle age, I would not think that is wrong and the wine is just bad. Especially, if the producer is one that I know and trust in their abilities. I do seem to recall that Garretson made a rose that did benefit from aging but that was one of the biggest and darkest roses that I can recall.

Hi Larry,

I loved the 11 and 12 Ode to Lulu, so I was comfortable buying before there were any tasting notes. However, the early tasting notes gave me pause about opening.

I opened the 13 last week after decanting for around four hours, based on the feedback here. It was delicious and appreciated by everybody at the table.

In direct answer to your question, No. I don’t buy rose to cellar, or for super-complexity. I buy rose to drink on the roof deck on a warm summer day. I think some people may have higher expectations than me, but the Bedrock does this quite nicely.