BEST Echezeaux and Grands-Echezeaux producers (for the money)

There are close to 80 owners in Echezeaux - and some 20 in Grand-Echezeaux, with many negociant bottlings in addition, so hard to have an overview …

So I´m asking to list the best producers for each vineyard FOR THE MONEY … not the absolutely best - which in many cases will be:
DRC (E + GE)
Henry Jayer (E)
E.Rouget (E)
L-M Liger-Belair (E)

followed by:
Grivot
Meo-C
Dujac
Mugneret-Gibourg
Arnoux
Eugenie (former Engel)

I am not including Jayer or Engel since those wines are no longer made.
I don’t think the money is a problem here. If you have the money, DRC/Liger Belair are the best to me and you will pay for them.
Tier 2 would be the best for the money I guess.

Best Echezeaux

Tier 1

DRC
Liger Belair

Tier 2

Rouget
Dujac
Mugneret-Gibourg

Grands Echezeaux

Tier 1

DRC

Tier 2

Drouhin

Mongeard-Mugneret Echezeaux is a great wine and is usually priced “reasonably”.

+1–the G-E also
I think they have tamed their oak regime a bit over recent vintages. We had a lovely visit with Anne M about a decade ago when we first getting into Burgundy. I will always be a buyer because of how gracious she was with us.

Good call guys.

Thoughts about Domaine Anne Gros and Rene Engel?

I think for Echezeaux and Grands Echezeaux that DRC stand head and shoulders above the pack because of the linage they have. They have been making brilliant wines from these two vineyards for many decades.

For Echezaux I reckon Jayer-Gilles may just be in that second tier. I have had a few aged ones that have been superb and recently a 2000 and 1999 have been quite magnificent.

I really love Bocquenet Echezeaux. It’s much more rustic than some (most?), but it ages into something wonderful.

One more name to throw out there in the second tier for Echezeaux is Gerard Mugneret. Pretty decent value too. These are elegant beautiful wines. His Echezeaux comes from the same area as the sisters I think. (They are cousins I believe and he does some vineyard work for them.). Very nice stuff.

I too also like Jayer-Gilles quite a bit. I had a 1993 a few years ago that was out of sight.

Engels are no longer made. Very nice Grands Echezeaux from Philippe. The 99 is a monumental wine. 93 is also incredible.
Anne Gros I don’t have any experience.

She makes the wine only since 2007, having got back the vines from Gros Frere & Soeur … and I think either the vines are young, or something had/has to be changed in the vineyard.
The wine is good, even excellent, but nevertheless not up to the CV / Rb - Standard yet.

I do not have enough expeirence re G-Ech to say anything… [smileyvault-ban.gif]

+1

I think a lot of people here are underrating Mugneret-Gibourg Echezeaux. I submit a 1999 Echezeaux I had earlier this year as an exhibit.

“For the money”, the Mugneret-Gibourg is tops, in my view. (Though the Rouget example is tops…when not considering “the money” or maybe considering it) for Echezaux.

I long considered the Engel Grands-Echezaux among the very top wines of Burgundy. Though I have no idea what Eugenie has done with these holdings, they certainly have the potential to continue this greatness. Never that impressed with Mongeard wines, but…no experience with them after 2000. Have liked the DRC Grands-Echezaux fine on those rare occasions I’ve had DRC wines. Don’t think of it as good value though…or really anything with the DRC label on it. Added worth are things extrinsic to the actual wines, IMO. No opinion on that value to others…never was of any worth to me and my goals, though, especially at the Echezaux/G-E level. Am frank to admit to very little experience with DRC as a result, so I can’t argue much about the subject of DRC (and some other similar estates/businesses).

Jayer Gilles with 15+ years on it is very much worth a look - may offer one of the best values for top quality wine. Gets a bad wrap with the toasty oak which seems to integrate beautifully with time.

Mugneret Gibourg never seems to disappoint - only thing that is disappointing is the price increase this estate has seen over the last several years.

Cecile Tremblay needs to be on anyones short list of top Echezeaux producers - too bad it is nearly impossible to find!

+2

Good call, Don!

Agree on all these points. Love wines from both Mugneret Gibourg and Cecile Tremblay. Too bad they are so expensive.

Agree. Pascal Mugneret is now making the wines, having taken over this role from his father, and has carried the quality level forward. I haven’t decided yet whether I like Pascal’s new label [basic-smile.gif] , but continue to love the wines.

Hank [cheers.gif]