Promontory

Promontory just went live. Thoughts on 3 bottles @ $1250?

1st thought: Holy Shit!
2nd thought: well, if Harlan is involved then it MUST be worth it… pileon
3rd thought: HOLY SHIT!
4th thought: Wonder if my extra wish-list is fullfilled. “God, I hope I get it, I hope I get it, i really really need this wine”
5th thought: Didn’t you hear? $416.66 is the new $150. [stirthepothal.gif]

:slight_smile:

One thought: insane. Insane to offer California Cabernet at this price, insane to buy it.

Easy pass here. After reading Tanzer’s notes on the first vintage ('09), this project is still a work-in-progress. Thus, I don’t see any value in paying $450+/btl after taxes/shipping. I’m sure these wines will be great one day, just can’t take that large a leap on first release, even though there’s some talented people behind this project.

Damn…too much for me. Passing

Mike,

Think at that price for each bottle you can have 3.5 Paneks

I got this, thought for a moment and realized you should be able to buy '10 Shafer HS and the '12 Kapcsandy’s for less and all are or near perfect. Satisfy your CULT and POINTS cravings while giving your credit card some breathing room…

Didn’t Levy & McClellann sell for something like $450 on the first release? Adjusted for inflation this is a bargain.

Tom

Its out of my price range, but I am sure its great wine. For those who can afford this without thinking about the price too much, I am sure they will be happy with it.

Score went up from (90-92) by Galloni to 97 by Parker, so it must be the awesome, but $400 is still a pazz.

Ladera Lone Canyon was $75…just as a point of reference.

Worth 4 Ridge Monte Bellos? Or even two Monte Bellos and a very nice dinner? Or a pony for a three pack? (Though a pony requires upkeep).

Indeed it could, ahhhh will. (as soon as I can find my credit card) [cheers.gif]

Worth a CASE of Ridge Monte Bello?? A 3-pack of Promontory, or a case of Ridge Monte Bello futures…

Hmmmmm - same might be said for other wines that many seek out and love on this board . . . .

Yep, pot stirred . . . go at em!

Cheers!

First thing I thought of when I read this was “Promontory? by Charlie Gear”?.. The song at the end of The Last of the Mohicans? Great song.

…nothing else to add…

Barrel sampled this in January. It was delightful but not at that price.

I bought a case of 96 heitz marthas at auction last week, ocb, perfect provenance. price included buyers premium. lets see. oh yeah, heitz stopped submitting to parker, so people don’t know what to think of this wine. guess the 25 yr track record wasn’t enough to push up the value of this wine.

extra buzz for me. and easy pass on yet another new wine

[scratch.gif]

I passed and didn’t think twice about it. Paying $400+ per bottle for the inaugural offering of Any Wine is too much faith for a wine not yet proven.