TN: 2006 Arcadian - Pinot Noir Pisoni Vineyard (USA, CA, Central Coast, Santa Lucia Highlands)

2006 Arcadian Pinot Noir Pisoni Vineyard - USA, California, Central Coast, Santa Lucia Highlands (5/9/2014)
– decanted shortly before initial taste –
– tasted non-blind over approx. 3 hours –

NOSE: spicy; red-fruited; perfumed; ripe; after a couple hours a pleasant high-toned note emerges — something slightly citric (orange or lemon).

BODY: salmon-ruby color of light to medium-light depth; light bodied.

TASTE: spicy Central Coast red fruit Pinot; floral; raspberry/red currant; light oak; hint of leather steps out when paired with a thyme pork chop; medium to medium+ acidity; hint of caraway seed; light; ripe; red-fruited; 13.8% alc. pokes through a bit; doesn’t strike me as a long-lived Pisoni — it just doesn’t seem to have the stuffing or acidity to make old bones, but one can’t completely ignore Joe’s track record with this fruit, either. Depending on how well this ages, my score may ultimately be on the conservative side.

B: 50, 5, 13, 16, 7 = (91 pts.)

2006 Arcadian Pinot Noir Pisoni Vineyard - USA, California, Central Coast, Santa Lucia Highlands (3/21/2017)
– decanted approx. one hour before initial taste –
– tasted non-blind over 2 days –

NOSE: floral; light red fruits; “pretty”; much more feminine than usual for Pisoni; cranberry and red currant; Nose filled-out considerably on Day 2.

BODY: very light violet-garnet color of medium-light depth; hint of bricking; light to medium-light body.

TASTE: light red fruits; savory; clean; medium-high to high acidity; 13.8% alc. not noticeable; largely consistent with previous bottle; red currant; quite nice; increasing flavor density with air — maybe best to Hold right now? Gut impression score: low 90’s. Day 2 brought much deeper flavor, although not as precise as on Day 1; I’m now convinced this is a Hold right now.

Thanks for the ongoing check-ins, Brian.
Based on how long it took the 2001 to really come on (and it’s still coming on!), I’m not surprised by your verdict.
Joe does great work with Pisoni.

Nice note Brian. Sounds like several years more in the cellar should yield great results.

Cheers,
Doug

1 Like

Thanks, guys. [cheers.gif] I’m not planning on touching any of my three remaining bottles for another 3 years, unless we start seeing a deluge of “open” showings for this wine.

I’m with you, Dennis: Joe does amazing work with Pisoni fruit! And, yes, that '01 is still coming on, but a recent note (I think it was yours, right Doug?) seemed to indicate it’s open now — I need to check-in on that one again, as it’s been a bit more than two years since my last time with it.

IMO, the Pisonis to be drinking right now are '97, '99, '00, and '02. Borderline call on the '03, too, which is quite open, but still mostly primary.

Not just great work…the best work.

And the 2001 Arcadian Garys was one of the greatest pinots ever.

Brian

Yes the 2001 Pisoni was lovely and open when sampled recently.

Cheers,
Doug

+1
A lightbulb wine for me about ten years ago.

Funny thing: I’ve only had this wine once, and it was in a blind tasting with wines from “wherever,” “anywhere,” and “everywhere.” Blind, I thought it was an excellent wine, from the 1998 vintage perhaps, hailing from CdP! LOL!

In all honesty, no surprise there. I’ve oftentimes found a ‘convergence’ with grenache and grenache dominated wines and pinots, especially with some age on them. . .

Cheers.

This is a stunning bottle of wine in a stunning place. Lovely light cherry red translucent color. Sour cherries, roses and lovely underbrush on an elegant and expressive nose. Great mix of spicy peper, acidity and sweet dried cherry fruit on the palate. Not yet fully mature, but in a beautiful spot between young and mature. Joe does great things with Pisoni fruit!

Last bottle and still a gorgeous bottle of wine. Translucent but still some robust red color and that interplay between elegance and power carries through to the nose and palate. Sandalwood, rose petals and dark cherry on a restrained nose. Lovely texture and acid with a solid core of sweet dark cherry fruit. Still has some years left but I am not at all sorry I am drinking it tonight as it is in a beautiful spot.

Thanks for the update, Jud. Glad to hear your bottle showed well. [cheers.gif]

And it looks like it’s been three years since I said, “Three more years,” so time to dig one out and check-in on it for myself!

We enjoyed our last bottle of the 2006 on NYE. No notes, but one of the best pinot noirs I’ve had in a long time. I wish we had more. It really is a beautiful wine.

1 Like