2001 Pegau Cuvee Reservee

My last two bottles of this wine have been partially oxidized, the second to the point where I poured it down the drain. Cork was slightly recessed and came out easily. Normally I would ignore this if it was a single bottle, but two in a row is more troublesome.

Purchased November 2003 in Original Wood Case, I think imported by Martine’s Wine in Marin. Stored since at 55F. Anybody else have some trouble with this wine??

I opened a bottle late last year that was in good shape. I have several more tho, so will open a bottle sometime soonish.

I’ve had 2 bottles of the '01 and 1 bottle of the '00 in the last 8 months and they were all in good shape. They were imported by J ET R Selections, Mt. Pleasant, MI. Martine’s is usually very reliable.

Have had numerous bottles of this and have had only the occasional corked bottle.

Most were purchased at the domaine.

We had a 2000 a few months ago and it was great. We have a couple of 2001’s that I will have to pop soon to sample.

Had the 2000 and 2001 on Monday night. Both in perfect condition.

Opened the 2000, 2001, and 2004 a couple weeks ago and no problems at all. The 2001 was gorgeous and the most complete of the three, followed by the 2000, which had a great nose, but a little behind on the palate. The 2004 needs a couple more years in the cellar, IMO.

The 01 that I opened a few months ago was terrific. No aging issues.

Yes, out of 4 so far I’ve had one that was oxed.

00,01,03 fantastic

No issues at all, great wine still a bit youthful … purchased at the domaine in 2003, stored at 45-54°F ever since.

Might turn out as fine as the 1981 now … in 15 years.

Purchased 33. Consumed 7 so far. Not a bad bottle yet.

I’ve also had no troubles. A great wine. And I agree with Gerhard that it could still stand a few years of cellaring, though I have no intention of waiting 20 more years. I’m sure it will list. I have some doubts about me.

Had the '00 and '01 last night. Both beautiful with the '01 being the better wine.

What would you say the current differences are? I have never had them side by side but always “felt” that the 2000 was a bit fleshier and brighter and was accessible earlier and the 2001 was a bit more structured and firm, though perhaps more layered.

I share that assessment, both for the Pegau and CDP in general.

Never meant to keep ALL bottles for 20 years, but it would be a pity if you don´t have any more then … flirtysmile

I know the discussion “which is better, 2000 or 2001” in CdP for a good 10 years. While it certainly depends on the domaine or wine, in the case of Pegau my opinion is simple: both are really outstanding and on the same quality level, but different in character - so it depends on the personal taste, on the time when tasting it - and certainly also on the specific bottle (storage etc.).
Lovers of a cooler, more obviously structured, spicier style with darker berries might prefer the 2001, others may prefer the more voluptuous, fuller, warmer and chewy quality of the 2000 … (and both will be almost be equally long lived … don´t underestimate the 2000 for instance …)

Just my 2c

Opened a 2001 from magnum last month and it was great.

Nothing but excellent experiences (most recent was three days ago) with my case of this one.

Opened a third bottle (now the 12th and last in the case), same general profile. Slightly recessed cork (3-4 mm), came out very easily. However, no leakage along the cork at all (as might have happened with a temperature spike). Same slightly oxidized character, touch of shoe polish.

First 9 were very good…