Bob Wood's Second Memorial Barrel

All,

There is a great thread to our fallen friend and the first Bob Wood Memorial Wine, but I’d like to bring more focused attention to a second-year effort by Byron and Seven of Hearts to commemorate Bob.

Without getting too detailed out of respect for who was a very private man, I’m not confident all are aware of the challenges Bob faced during a stretch starting 7 years ago. He was able to get through some tough times by relying upon the Beaverton, OR YMCA and in speaking to Megan, we’re hoping to make a donation this year in Bob’s name with your help.

Byron and several others on this board, including myself (I’ll allow the others to ‘out’ themselves if they wish to) were aware things were tough, but it wasn’t until after his death we learned just how tough they were.

I know Byron has sent out emails to those who purchased the wine last year and I realize, especially in the shadow of the damage in Napa, that good cause pockets may be running dry, but I want to make you aware of what Byron and others have suggested we do with this year’s barrel.

Byron spoke with Bob’s daughter Megan and it was decided that in the event a second barrel could be sold, Byron would donate between $5,000 and $6,000 of the revenues to the YMCA Bob called home with the funds directed to items Megan knows Bob would support such as athletics, disease prevention, volunteerism and the like.

This year the Curmudgeon Cuvée will be some whole cluster fermented Pommard and a separate lot of co-fermented 114 and 667. In keeping with the 2012 no new oak will be used making sure elegance, aromatics and age-ability are the primary characteristics of the wine.

Many have already purchased and this note is to simply draw awareness to the second barrel with the hope of selling it out too and making a donation to the YMCA in honor of Bob and his family.

You can get the wine here and follow the site to the Current Specials

http://shop.sevenofheartswine.com/store

In- thanks Chris!

Where is the Dick K. Memorial Bottle?

Serious question

I believe Seven of Hearts and Bob had a personal connection and Bob poured in their tasting room on occasion. Did Dick have such a connection with any wineries?

Several. Just as Bill Johnstone did. Both passed this year.

Good question Bill.

Ask the wineries.

I wanted to be in on this celebartion and generous offer to contribute in Bob’s name, but after placing my order I was told it would be $24 to ship 2 Bottles from Oregon to Nor Cal.
Sorry I won’t be contributing.

Very sorry about the shipping prices, Joseph. We completely understand your not wanting to go through with the order, given the shipping cost. It’s the thing I like least about selling wine. I would like to explain that we are a small winery and don’t get price breaks on shipping, and only charge what we are charged (actually less, in many cases, as fuel surcharges and other fees are often added that we don’t recoup). Rather than subsidizing shipping prices (which is a strategy often employed), we try to focus on maintaining the most reasonable prices we can on our wine. For what it’s worth, the cost for shipping wine is particularly onerous on one to thee bottles. While still higher than I would like, the cost per bottle goes down considerably in 4 ,6, 8, 10 or 12 bottle quantities.

Thanks for understanding.

Byron

It would be nice to be able to have a shipper assemble a case for shipping. With more expensive wines I cannot afford a case and also do not want to pay excessive shipping on a couple of bottles. Local pick up works when I can string several stops into one trip. But then I usually fill a case anyway. [snort.gif]

+1 on the challenges of shipping costs. Great explanation Byron. I did stop by the tasting room the other morning to buy my Crumudgeon Cuvee but was there before you open. My mistake. I’ll buy online.

Vincent

Bumping this so people can see it if they haven’t

Great wine for a great cause!

And I need to order the club wines. [thankyou.gif]

Agreed with you for the most part. I have bought wines from a couple of stores in Portland and it was much cheaper but they were for 6,8 and case shipping.
I posted this on another thread and I think it definently applies.

I look at the comparison between Shipping and Airline Travel.
We used to take it granted for that we could get decent Fares, Meals, upgrades easy security and now it is an ala Carte nickel and dime make revenue from all streams proposition, that i hate to say is probably in line and priced correctly. it just hurts more because we had it good for so long.
I look at shipping the same way. We used to take it for granted it would be free or chaep to ship wine.
The biggest increase is that Gas Prices have more than doubled and that is a Huge expense in this whole equation/game.

In 2003, the US national average price of a gallon of regular gasoline was $1.59. That is equal to about $1.88 per gallon in 2010 dollars.
2014 Price…$3.67

Weekend bump.
3 cases out of 22 sold.

That is the charitable spirit!! [soap.gif]

George