2012 Rivers Marie Cabernet tasting

I spent the morning with Will and we went through the 2012 line up. It goes without saying the wines are great and Will was a wonderful host but I was surprised by the wide range. It has been a few days so tasting notes are vague but here are a few quick thoughts

2012 Napa 94pts: A perfect proxy for the acclaimed 2012 vintage. Big and plush! A contender for QPR of the year. Order all you can of this.

Corona 91-92pts: May be the final year for Corona. Very soft tannins and fruit forward. I would think this is a “ready to drink” wine, I don’t see this being better in 5 years. My least favorite of the '12s.

Panek 95-96pts: The tannins are still hiding what you know is there.

Calistoga 94-98pt: I know this is a huge range but this is a giant that is nowhere near ready to drink. Higher acid and the tannins are mouth puckering. Once these integrate the 98pts could be low. This is a new project from Larkmead grapes.

Thanks for the notes. I am glad I took all of the Panek and Calistoga I was offered, but I now regret passing on the Napa.

And I wish I had bought more Panek and any of the Corona and maybe a few more Napa. I wonder if it is too late to order more. Hahaha

Ian - final year of Corona for you or RM? Interesting note on the '12. This has always been the most backward in the portfolio for me. Can’t wait to try that Larkmead, and that Paneck is always a treat.

Perhaps the new Oakville coming on line next year will be different from the Corona?

Was a reason given for the end of the Corona?

I don’t want to misquote but was given the impression that Corona is a difficult vineyard and the quality of the wine is lagging behind what they want/expect. I think the words used was that he thinks this will be the final year for corona. In '11 they just put it into the Napa blend. Maybe that is what they will do with the '13?

This is part of the problem with a trip to Napa…It is all a blur now. 10 wineries in 3 days with 2 cross country flights, I am worn out!

There was also a hint that Robert Parker was very impressed and they have high hopes on the scores.

What is Corona’s proximity to the forthcoming Lore/Oakville Terraces vineyard? Perhaps TRB just doesn’t want/need two Oakville properties in the portfolio?

That’s awesome thanks for the notes Ian. This is always an auto buy for us. I’ll be socking away some of each for my (currently non-existant) personal cellar. [cheers.gif]

Did you taste the chard by any chance?

It was offered but kept the tasting focused on the Cabs!!