Chilling: CA winery fined, forced out of business for using volunteers.

This Is really shocking and so short sighted. I know quite a number of somms and itb types that will volunteer to help out at harvest so they can understand the vineyards and wine making process better, making them better wine professionals. I understand the issue here, but this seems to be a complete overreaction and threatens to derail a common practice that is beneficial to the industry as a whole.

Castro Valley winjery fined $115,000 for using volunteers.

So freaking ridiculous.

Now I get arguments of parity between other for-profits that pay traditional employees and what not but the state really needs to get a warning system in place so they could have made a change and not get hit with t a fine. That is really egregious on the part of the state.

Sounds like Wineries need to start offering classes in harvesting.
The “students” can help with the harvest and the Winery can even charge a small fee.
Pat

From the article: “About half the people the state considered Westover employees were taking a free class at the Palomares Canyon Road winery. Students learned about growing vines, harvesting and blending grapes and marketing the finished product.”

Big Brother wants his cut!

Wes,

Maybe I read the piece incorrectly.

I thought the “students” were taking a class from another organization and
“volunteering” at the Winery as part of their class.

Would there still be an issue if these folks registered for a class offered by the Winery
and paid a fee of, say, $50 ? It doesn’t seem that they could be considered “volumteers”.

But them I’m not a lawyer.

Pat