How many different grape varieties have you drunk per CT classification?

Yes, I know that Red Bordeaux Blend is not a variety, but at least I got drink, drank, drunk correct (I think). Go to CT, My Reports, Consumption, Mine by Region and then switch the first level sort from Region to to Variety (NOT MASTER VARIETY). Count them all, including those that are listed as blends. How many do you have? Be sure to include those where you stop and say, “What was that?” Like Macabeo-Xarel-lo-Parellada Blend. It’s Codorniu Cava.

I counted 65.

When you are finished, post your count and then say a prayer for the Jets today. They are playing Megatron with the worst secondary in football. I think I had better bring a good bottle to the game, so I have something to enjoy. What goes with made-in-the-parking-lot Shanghainese Lions Head? What else are you going to make when they’re playing the Lions?

64 for me.
Many of the odd ones from the 64 are Italian. Vernaccia, Falanghina, Ribolla Gialla, and an uncommon one from the US - Scheurebe.

As a Lions fan, I will pray for Megatron to post a 12-200-2 line on the awful, awful Jets secondary. Granted, Stafford may throw up some ducks, so enjoy those.

but I actually worked on it for a couple of years:

1775 bottles:

Aglianico 0.4%
Albariño 0.3%
Alicante Bouschet 0.3%
Aligoté 0.2%
Altesse 0.3%
Arneis 0.1%
Barbera 0.2%
Blaufränkisch 0.4%
Bonarda 0.1%
Brachetto 0.1%
Cabernet Franc 1.8%
Cabernet Sauvignon 1.2%
Cagnulari 0.1%
Cannonau 0.9%
Carignan Blend 0.2%
Casavecchia 0.1%
Champagne Blend 4.6%
Chardonnay 5.4%
Chardonnay Blend 1.1%
Chasselas 0.1%
Chenin Blanc 1.4%
Ciliegiolo 0.2%
Cinsault 0.2%
Cortese 0.3%
Corvina 0.1%
Corvina Blend 0.5%
Counoise 0.1%
Dolcetto 0.6%
Fiano 0.1%
Frappato 0.2%
Freisa 0.2%
Friulano 0.1%
Fumin 0.2%
Gamay 2.8%
Garganega 0.1%
Garnacha 0.2%
Gewürztraminer 0.6%
Godello 0.1%
Graciano 0.2%
Grenache 0.2%
Grenache Blanc 0.3%
Grenache Blend 0.4%
Grenache Gris 0.1%
Grillo 0.1%
Gringet 0.1%
Gros Manseng / Petit Courbu 0.1%
Gros Manseng-Petit Manseng Blend 0.3%
Grüner Veltliner 0.3%
Heida 0.2%
Hondarrabi Beltza 0.1%
Hondarrabi Zuri 0.2%
Jacquère 1.2%
Lacrima 0.2%
Lagrein 0.2%
Listan Negro 0.2%
Macabeo-Xarel-lo-Parellada Blend 0.3%
Malbec 0.1%
Malbec Blend 0.2%
Malmsey 0.1%
Malvasia di Candia 0.1%
Marsanne 0.1%
Marzemino 0.2%
Mauzac 0.7%
Melon à Queue Rouge 0.2%
Melon de Bourgogne 0.5%
Mencía 0.1%
Merlot 0.3%
Mondeuse Noir 0.6%
Monica 0.2%
Montepulciano 0.5%
Morio Muskat 0.1%
Moscatel 0.1%
Muscat 0.3%
Muscat Canelli 0.2%
Nebbiolo 2.1%
Nebbiolo Blend 1.3%
Negroamaro 0.1%
Nerello Blend 0.8%
Nerello Mascalese 0.6%
Obaideh 0.3%
Orange Muscat 0.1%
Palomino Fino 6.1%
Palomino Fino and Pedro Ximénez 0.1%
Pedro Ximénez 1.0%
Petite Arvine 0.2%
Petite Sirah 0.1%
Picpoul Blanc 0.1%
Pigato 0.1%
Pineau d’Aunis 0.3%
Pinot Blanc 0.1%
Pinot Blanc Blend 0.1%
Pinot Blend 0.8%
Pinot Grigio 0.1%
Pinot Gris 0.7%
Pinot Meunier 0.1%
Pinot Noir 4.7%
Port Blend 0.1%
Poulsard 3.4%
Prëmetta 0.1%
Prosecco 0.2%
Ramisco 0.1%
Red Blend 3.8%
Red Bordeaux Blend 3.4%
Red Rhone Blend 3.0%
Ribolla Gialla 0.1%
Riesling 4.3%
Riesling Blend 0.1%
Romorantin 0.3%
Rosé Blend 4.0%
Roter Veltliner 0.1%
Roussanne 0.6%
Ruche 0.2%
Sangiovese 0.6%
Sangiovese Blend 1.1%
Sauvignon Blanc 2.5%
Savagnin 0.6%
Schiava 0.1%
Sciacarello 0.1%
Sémillon 0.1%
Sémillon-Sauvignon Blanc Blend 0.5%
Sercial 0.2%
Shiraz 0.3%
Silvaner 0.2%
Spätburgunder 0.3%
SuperTuscan Blend 0.5%
Sylvaner 0.1%
Syrah 2.3%
Syrah Blend 0.4%
Tannat 0.3%
Tannat Blend 0.2%
Tempranillo 0.4%
Tempranillo Blanco 0.2%
Tempranillo Blend 2.1%
Tibouren 0.2%
Trousseau 1.1%
Trousseau Gris 0.2%
Verdelho 0.1%
Verdicchio 0.1%
Vermentino 0.7%
Vidal 0.1%
Vignoles 0.2%
Viognier 0.8%
Vitovska 0.2%
Viura 0.5%
White Blend 2.7%
White Rhone Blend 1.3%
Xarello 0.1%
Zierfandler 0.2%
Zinfandel 0.6%
Zinfandel Blend 0.1%
Zweigelt 0.3%

A very inacturate way to measure, but for sake of comparison I count 97.

Hondarrabi Zuri, Nerello Mascalese, Garganega, Marzemino, Garnatxa Blanca. A few of the unusual characters.

I know there must be some missing because I see no Norton, Gros Manseng, Fox (Marechal Foch?), Pinotage, Catawba, Muscadine, Malvasia etc. OTOH I count Chardonnay as well as Chardonnay blend. Same for Merlot, Cab Sauv and most other major grapes. I count something called “rose blend” etc. But few blending grapes like Petite Verdot Cinsaut, Piquepoul etc. So like I said, inaccurate but fun.

1. That was fun - reminded me of some pretty wonderful wines I’ve enjoyed over the years.

only 46 here–I fail

Over 100 different grape varieties, but the oddest was the Longanesi, also called Burson from Emilia-Romagna, Italy. It was made by Leone Conti and the name of the wine was “Pis & Love.” (Honestly!)

We have two different bottlings of Longanesi, from Tenutta Uccellina in Ravenna. Fun stuff.

362 that I could remember by looking at the chart but a lot of them are dupes and some aren’t even grapes, so it’s actually a bit less I guess.

But here are four more that aren’t in that CT database - Kéknyelű, Ezerjó, Zéta, Kövidinka.

BTW, I was surprised to see Turán, aka Agria, which is even more obscure than the ones I listed. It’s a red-fleshed grape with dark red juice that was often used to darken lighter colored grapes. I had an aszú wine from it, which is completely off the charts.

Anyhow, if anyone is interested, here’s some info on the grapes I listed.

Kéknyelű was once a pretty popular grape that reputedly made some of Hungary’s greatest wines. But it’s hard to grow and today you mostly find it in the western region near Austria.

Ezerjó is mostly found in Pannonhalma but some people have even made aszú wine from it.

Zéta is a cross of Bouvier and Furmint. Until just recently, it was called Oremus. However, when Vega Sicilia bought some property in Tokaj, they took that name for their winery. It would be a little like going to Bordeaux and starting a winery called Chateau Merlot. Actually maybe not, since the grape isn’t really that old, but they changed the name. It’s useful because it ripens fairly early and is easily affected by botrytis, but as far as I know, just like the Muscat in Tokaj or Petit Verdot in Bordeaux, it is usually just a very minor percentage of anyone’s blend.

There isn’t a lot of it but it is one of the earliest ripening grapes in Tokaj so can be useful. I don’t know that anyone releases a commercial aszú from it.

Kövidinka is a high-yielding grape so the communists loved it and it’s planted in the central plain region, where farming is easy but quality grape growing isn’t. Partly because of that, some people today don’t like the grape but a few are trying to make serious wine from it. We’ll have to see.

Wow, you must spend a lot of time hanging out with Jancis! :slight_smile:

1. Excluding blends I get 145.
    Definitely actively worked on getting to the ‘century club’ 2-3 years ago and I while I don’t routinely seek them out any more I will definitely buy any wine from a new variety whenever I see it. Italy and Eastern European countries are the best for this. A few that stood out as ‘I’ve never heard of this!’ even though I’ve had it when glancing at the CT list just now:
    Semidano
    Bombino
    Tsolikauri
    Cserszegi Füszeres
    Saint Jeannet

I don’t think you have to count. Tells you at the top in Number of Rows.

116 for me.

Who’s had any Ortrugo from Emilia Romagna? Frizzante version is our #1 wine of the summer?!?!?

Only 67. Must get to work!

[Deleted]

100 on the nose.

I need to get to work.

I had 82 if I went by the Consumption report (which only counts wines I’ve purchased and then consumed). I had 125 if I went by my Tasting Notes.