US merlot

My first post.

I have a friend visiting. He is a fan of Pomerol wine. I want to show him some good US merlot producer. I am just curious who makes merlot in a style similar to Pomerol wine.

I don’t find any US Merlot close to Pomerol, but the best chance may be from Washington state- Andrew Will, Januik Klipsun vineyard, Leonetti, Seven Hills.

P Hickner

I don’t think it’s similar to Pomerol, but Mayacamas makes a terrific merlot that sells for about $30-35. I would call it classic old-school Napa style, not Pomerol, though probably with age the lines blur more.

I do not drink enough Merlot, so please forgive my ignorance. Is pomerol the best merlot producing region in the world.

Pomerol makes some great Merlots and some average ones and some that have no distinction. There is not a lot produced and so, the price is usually higher. I think its more of a style thing than a quality thing compared to the best Merlots of elsewhere.

From California, I think Kapcsandy Roberta’s Reserve is every bit as good as anything from Pomerol, but like the most expensive Pomerol’s, it is pricey although cheap compared to Pomerols of that class IMO. I like Pride Merlot for something a bit more affordable that is found most places. Paloma also makes a great one that really ages well.

The Washington state suggestions above are very good.

I wouldn’t try to find something in that style as that is not what makes new world Merlots great when they are on. BTW, what is your price range.

Thanks, Loren
I drank some Pride and Paloma merlot and enjoyed both. But I don’t get why wines like Petrus or Lafleur can be as expensive as a bottle of La Tache. Merlot can make a nice wine. It just does not offer the complexity of a nice burgundy or barolo. Again, I don’t drink enough merlot. Maybe I just do not get it.

Duckhorn used to make a great Three Palms Merlot back in the day. It’s been awhile since I tried it so can’t vouch for current offerings - if they even still do offer it . . .

Cheers!

I’m no expert in super high end Poms like Lafleur and Petrus (hah! I wish I were), but they’re not all 100% merlot wines. Lafleur in the last decade+ has been a merlot/cab franc blend somewhere between 60-40 and 40-60. Petrus (I think) is mostly merlot though. Other right bank Bord wines are blends too, though I think the big names (Cheval Blanc, L’Eglise Clinet, etc.) have typically been 85% - 90% or more merlot.

I guess my point is that there is more to these wines than a single grape varietal - they are really blends. Plus they have the magic of right bank terroir not to mention wine-maker skill.

For new world, I agree that Kapcsandy Roberta’s is pretty fantastic, and similar in some ways to right bank Bords. Buccella makes some pretty good pure merlots. Blankiet can be pretty great too, though the “Proprietary Red” is a merlot/cab sauvignon blend.

Rich makes a good point on the blending - you are really looking for an American Merlot/Cab Franc blend - and nothing comes to mind at the moment. However I am sipping a glass of Ridge Estate Merlot at my desk right now which is nice in a new-world-restrained-style type of way…

2005 Barnett Spring Mountain is the best US Merlot and all others will be measured against it.

Agree on Kapcsandy Robert’s Reserve , also Pahlmeyer Merlot & Switchback Merlot .

I can for sure reccommend the 2001 Pahlmeyer Merlot if you can source it. The 2012 Shafer Vineyards Merlot is a stunner.

Seconded ridge estate merlot. Punches well above its $50 weight.

I’ve had the 2010 Ridge Estate Merlot and it was a dead-ringer for Pomerol.

Well, if anyone is enjoying 1947 Pomerols from Rudy consignments, it seems they’ve been enjoying Duckhorn.

+1 on Mayacamas.

Calluna.
As close to Pomerol as you will get in the US.
Best, Jim

I don’t know Pomerol, but I will recommend Matthiasson, a Napa valley producer unafraid of structure with wines oozing with complexity and class. I have yet to try one of their younger 100% Merlot bottlings (the Red Hen) but their 2006 Red Wine, 51% Merlot and 40% CS, 5% CF, 3% PV, 1% Malbec, is still available from the winery. My TN from the summer: “Started out smooth and layered with slightly cedery red fruit and a savory cassis finish, but added more overt earthy structure and bramble fruit over the next few hours with the nose sticking with its cherry-mint-Merlot theme. Mostly shared with an afternoon guest decanted but without food, the best glass was hours later when things had integrated properly. A substantial wine that I suspect will improve for a number of years.”

I can also report good results with their white wines. They are a family operation that took a big hit in the quake btw. I don’t know them – but a tryout winery this year that will likely bump off a different mailer in the near future.

The Anderson’s Conn Valley “Right Bank” wine is a true Merlot/Cab Franc blend that should be widely available. Not sure what it would taste like super young but this thread is making me think of cracking the 08 out in the cellar. Milk chocolate in comparison to the Matthiasson, however.

Jim’s right. Calluna Aux Raynaud Merlot.
Best, Matt

Blankiet Rive Droit. Up there with the Kapscandy.

Other fun Merlots are Buccella, Plumpjack,and Shafer, but they are all big boys.